“What A Surprise!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Saigon Grill Greenwich Village

Saigon Grill Greenwich Village
91 University Pl., New York City, NY 10003 (Greenwich Village)
212-982-3691
Neighborhood: Greenwich Village
Madison, NJ
“What A Surprise!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013

Stuck in a Lawyer's office conference room in the upper East-Side of Manhattan for an extended meeting. I knew they had planned to cater a meal for all of us so we wouldn't have to leave the building. When I saw it was something from an Asian restaurant, I expected the standard Asian fair - you know - the stuff found on every Asian menu throughout NYC.

BOY WAS I WRONG! ! !

They had dumplings that were really tender. The chicken in their dishes were chunks - not pressed chicken meal slivers. Their beef sticks had taste and flavor, not just salted meat slices on a stick. The Spring Rolls were served the way I like them, crispy on the outside with a slight crunch of the veggie's inside ... not the overcooked mush that most places serve. The sauces all seemed clean, light and fresh, not the starch-thickened, gelatinous stuff used by most places.

But the best thing I've ate that day was their Sea Bass dish. Big, thick, pieces that flaked apart in a light sauce over perfectly steamed greens. My only complaint is that I ate this last. My happiness was that so did everyone else in the room that day, so I had the fortune to take the rest of the tray home with me when our meeting was all over. I also got the name and address to the place ........... what surprised me was how far away they were from the Upper East Side!

A few weeks later, I had a hankering for that Sea Bass dish, so we went. It was so very worth the trip! We've been back a few times since and tried many things on the menu and I'm always impressed with how delicious everything is.

After being there a few times, we happened to meet the owners. A vivacious, engaging couple who really wants every customer to enjoy their meal. These people take customer satisfaction personally - and it shows from the bartenders to the wait staff. The food is always pipping hot and any special request is met with speedy service. And you can't beat the freshness of the fish as they also own a live fish distribution company - it doesn't get better than that! I have been introduced to a new Asian dinning experience ... and it's fantastic.

A bonus is the bar area. As we know, meeting someone in NYC requires leaving a window for traffic or subway delays. They're inevitable in the Big Apple, so if you're found waiting at the bar, there are TV's for distraction, and the staff is more than willing to change the station to accommodate the audience till their friends show up. Nice touch.

OH - and it's not Saigon Grill --- it's SAIGON MARKET --- and it's delicious!

• Visited March 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Stamford CT
“Saigon Grill in Greenwich Village, NYC”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

The Saigon Grill in Manhattan is now no more, thanks to the excesses of its greedy owners who stole from their own employees and who lost their way on the Upper West Side of New York. However, the Saigon Grill restaurant management in Greenwich Village bought themselves out and now continue to thrive with their world-famous La Sa Tom, an incredible spicy coconut noodle soup with shrimp. If your mouth doesn't do handstands over this classic Vietnamese street dish, then your mouth, It Is Dead! This is one helluva good noodley soup that hits all the high notes. The other dishes aren't bad either.

• Visited March 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Amherst, Massachusetts
“Coconut Soup with Shrimp”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2013 via mobile

The coconut soup with shrimp was fresh and excellent. As was the spinach. Service was good.Skip the tiramisu dessert. It was frozen in the middle and pretty tasteless.

Seattle, WA
“Didn't eat, just had the cucumber lemonade”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

You'll have to read another review about the food. I got a recommendation from the door man at the bar across the street (Off the Wagon) to try their cucumber lemonade. It was absolutely AMAZING! So amazing, I'm writing a review just for it. If you are walking through the Village on a hot day (I was there in August), you must get a cucumber lemonade from this place!

• Visited August 2012
Redmond, Washington
“Great Value, Large portions with taste of Vietnam!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2012 via mobile

I love this place each time in NYC I visit here, the service is good and great food. Love the Bulaklak (small cubes if fillet) great skewers of beef and chicken, not forget to the try the local beer.