“Perfect for spending the day out” 4 of 5 stars

You added West Side YMCA to your Saves list
West Side YMCA
2.0 of 5 Hostel   |   5 West 63rd Street, New York City, NY 10023   |
Hotel deals
“Perfect for spending the day out”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2013

I stayed there for 5 days and it was perfect as I spent the days visiting the city. The location is amazing, 2 minute walk from the south entrance of Central Park and a subway station with most of the lines. My room was really small but it was really clean, it had a small flat TV and a drawer. I stayed in the 11th floor, which seemed that had been renewed lately, so i didn't hear almost anything from there.The shared bathroom was clean every time I went and most of the times it was empty and never had any problem with the toilets or showers.
There's a small shop to buy any kind of snacks and/or breakfast: they have coffee, cereals, sandwiches, juices, muffins,...
I give a 4 beacuse the nearest plug to the bed was at the end of it and i had trouble with that because the alarm clock of my phone doesn't ring if the phone is turned off and the cable of the charger was not long enough. Also, the A/C was noisy and i had to unplug it so it finally stop making noise because even switched off, it made noise.

Really worth the location

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
  • Hungarian first
Sofia, Bulgaria
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2013

Well I don't know if it's normal that kind of price. Like I thought it would be more good-looking room. Otherwise I felt secure and safe in the hostel. I didn't try the pool or the jim, because I didn't have enough time. I expected more from the interior. There wasn't toilet paper, liquid soap. I was on an non renovated floor and the photo in the web site was with rooms on the renovated one. The good thing is definitely the location. The security is good, and the employees are polite and friendly.

Room Tip: My room was quite, I don't know on which side was.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Chesapeake, Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2013

We stayed here recently. We were clearly in the dingy part with the big steel doors that looked like a prison on each room. The tiles were falling off the walls in the bathrooms, and there was a plastic toilet paper dispenser that had cracked into sharp little pieces which stuck out from the wall. BUt what concerns me the most is the fact that it is so hard to find the exits on each floor! We have actually been in a hotel fire once while on vacation and it was TERRIFYING. Now I always make sure that I know where the exits are and that I could find them even in the dark. I'm not confident that we could make it out of this building.

At one point during our stay at this Y, we got tired of waiting for the elevator and tried to take the stairs down. THe stairwell didn't go all the way to the bottom of the building but was instead blocked by various types of debris. There was abandoned furniture in the stair wells, and finally after lots of going up one stairwell and down another, we found ourselves inside the preschool classrooms and then the gym -- but STILL couldn't get out of the building. I would be extremely frightened of not getting out of this building in case of an emergency.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2013

We stayed here 3 nights in a private double room. The room was small, but it is NYC. We had bunk beds, an old tv and a desk with chair. There was also a small closet where we could stash our suitcase. I understand that the upper floors have been renovated; we were on an non renovated floor. The carpeting in the hall was stained and dingy, same for tiles in the room. The shared bathroom was down the hall and it was a little grimy too, but again, I saw them cleaning all the time. I think it is more age related than actual filth.

Anyway, the front desk and cleaning staff were super friendly and helpful. The location cannot be beat for this price----right next to Central Park, a few blocks down from Strawberry fields and the Dakota building, short walk to Lincoln Center and Columbus Circle. so the rooms are small, and look worn out----are you really in NYC to sit in a hotel room? You are in a super safe area of Manhattan and the security is good---need to show a key card to get in the building. There is a small lounge and convenience type store on the lobby level too. I didnt' get a chance to check out the gym facilities or pool, but those are available for your use too. Will be our go to spot when we are in need of a NYC fix!

Room Tip: I would try to request something not right next to the bathroom or elevator
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Grace R, Guest Relations Manager at West Side YMCA, responded to this review, November 8, 2013
Hello,

Thank you for reviewing your stay at the West Side YMCA! We are happy to hear that you got out to see the nearby sights, and that you found the location convenient for seeing the best NYC has to offer!

Glad to hear you will be back to visit us again - hopefully next time you will have some time to check out our gym and pool facilities or take one of many group exercise classes we have available to our guests!

Hope to see you again soon.

boston
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2013

So many mixed reviews, but what you are getting is a basic room in a GREAT location. Near Lincoln Center, and Columbus Circle, and most train lines. The upper floors are single rooms with shared / private baths which your room key provides access too. The baths are kept very clean, and are busy first thing in the morning. Rooms have no luxuries, only 1 soap and 1 towel, desk with TV, and shelving / hanging area for your items, but made up each day. $100 a night compared to other NYC rates is great when you understand you are visiting NYC to see the sites and will not be in your room. With your room, you have access to the gym part of the Y which is a fairly large area. They also provide bag check after check out for $1 a bag, another bargain in NYC.
Friendly staff at front were helpful, and cleaning people on floors were always polite.
Small convenience store has been added as you walk in, has all the basics including coffee, muffins and other morning staples which you scan and pay with your credit card all self serve...for prices that are better then most places on the street.

Room Tip: Top floors are the upgraded rooms, which do cost more.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Hello,

Thank you so much for your kind review of the West Side YMCA. We are happy you had a pleasant stay with us, and that you found the rooms to be clean and the staff friendly. We aim to provide a comfortable and safe stay for all of our guests at a reasonable price for lodging in NYC.

If you have any more comments please feel free to reach out to me at grochford@ymcanyc.org.

Rio de Janeiro, RJ
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2013

Yes, the accommodations are spartan, but clean, and this YMCA is the best location in town where you can stay in a a room with a private shared bath for $99 a night. And you can use their semi-olympic pool and gym. People who complain forget this is like a hostel, not a luxury hotel. If you want a hotel, go pay $250+taxes for a tiny dirty room near Times Square. Here you are 1 block away from Lincoln Center (I'm there almost every night while in town), adjacent to Central Park and 2 blocks from Columbus Circle Subway Station. Best place if you are alone or you are young; I do not recommend for families, unless if you can get one of the few rooms with a private bathroom and plan just for sleeping. You cannot get anything better for under $100 in NYC. Even cheap dirty rooms in Jersey cost way more. (BTW, YMCA is tax-exempt, so $99 per night means exactly $99 per night, no extras; but you have to pay in advance for the stay.)

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the elevators and shared bathrooms, since young people tend to be noisy and...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Hello,

Thank you so much for taking the time to review the West Side YMCA. Our goal is to provide a safe, clean and fun place to stay in NYC, and we are glad to hear that you found the rooms clean and were able to make it out to see the amazing sights in the neighborhood! We hope you come back to visit us again soon.

Corozal Town, Belize
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013

The Y is situated in a nice and central neighbourhood, the price is maybe on the high side, but this is New York, so deal with it. What I really found more than unnecessary is the overzealous proxy filter on their Wifi service that does not only block inappropriate content (which I would understand), but also several European news portals, e-mail providers etc., while the websites of fascist organisations were readily accessible. My VPN did not work here.

Room Tip: There are some rennovated floors (e.g. 10th) and others (e.g. 8th) where rennovation would be overdu...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Grace R, Guest Relations Manager at West Side YMCA, responded to this review, October 25, 2013
Hello,

Thanks for your review of the West Side YMCA. We are glad to hear that you had a pleasant stay and that you enjoyed the location.

I am sorry you were frustrated by the blocked pages on wifi. I was wondering if you would be able to email me the names of the websites you found blocked, and I can speak with out IT department to try and see if they can lift the block on those sites. We want our guests to be comfortable and be able to access news and information that is relevant to them. If you happen to remember the site names feel free to contact me at grochford@ymcanyc.org.

Thanks again for your feedback, hopefully we can work on resolving this issue so that it will not cause frustration for future travelers.

Grace Rochford
Grochford@ymcanyc.org

Been to West Side YMCA? Share your experiences!