“I like the YMCA Hostel.” 3 of 5 stars

West Side YMCA
2.0 of 5 Hostel   |   5 West 63rd Street, New York City, NY 10023   |
Hotel deals
Coral Gables, Florida
“I like the YMCA Hostel.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2011

This is my second stay at the West Side YMCA. I find it a very reasonable place to stay in New York, if you are looking for budget accommodations without frills. I almost hate to give away the secret. It used to be cheaper, but prices have gone up. This time I asked for a window facing Central Park. I don't think it was worth paying a bit extra for the view, because it is not a great view. The park is in the distance boxed in between two buildings, and not very panoramic. Next time I'll settle for the cheaper room and walk over to the park for the view. It's only 1/2 block away.

My room was very clean. It included the basics to make my stay comfortable. There is a desk with a t.v., an open shelf for storing my belongings and a narrow open closet for hanging my clothes. There is also a full length mirror and small table which was very convenient for dressing. I found plenty electrical outlets which is always useful for charging up electronics.

The showers and toilets are outside the room in the hallway. I found the bathrooms clean, but the tile a bit dingy. I wouldn't step in there barefoot, but that's pretty much a rule for me anywhere I stay with a shared bath. I don't know if the housekeeping staff checks the bathrooms during the day to keep them tidy. I found them ok each time I went in the bathrooms. It also helps when the last person to use the bathroom and shower picks up after themselves.

They provide a fresh towel and change the bed sheets daily. Towels are a good size and pretty thick. The sheets are bright white.

The room was quiet, except for the bathroom doors out in the hallway slamming several times during the night. This can be fixed by wearing ear plugs at night.

There is a cafeteria on the ground floor where you can buy breakfast at a reasonable price. They also offer computers and internet for a fee. I did not use this service but I believe it's a couple of dollars for the computer use. If your flight departs in the evening, you may store your bags for $1 each after the 11 a.m. checkout.

Overall I enjoy staying at the YMCA for short stays.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
  • Hungarian first
London, UK
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2011

We stayed in a double room with ensuite bathroom so our experience is based on that. Check in was smooth and friendly. Room was small, basic but clean. Cafe on ground floor was good for a coffee etc. Can be very busy until after 9am. No issues with security in the street. Excellent location opposite the Park. The beds are rather hard for some reason that I couldn't work out.
The facilities are open to public but we didn't encounter any problems with users/residents.

Room Tip: Ask for private ensuite bathroom.
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2011

I would recommend it. Very basic, small rooms, but they're very clean! Shared hall bathrooms weren't bad, either - relatively clean, and I never had to wait for a shower. I was really worried about being in a hostel that wasn't clean, so it was a relief that this one wasn't like that. I was definitely glad I had flip flops to wear in the shower, but in general it was not bad. Great location, friendly staff. The only downside was the price, which was pretty high for a hostel. And it is not a great place to meet other people (no common kitchen or lounge). But I would recommend it for travelers looking for a basic, private, & clean room in a great location in the city.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled solo
Englewood, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2011

Mother/daughter trip to celebrate college graduation. Stayed 4 nights so received a tour package. The website said we would each get a Top of the Rock ticket, NY Waterways cruise, and a Grayline bus loop tour. However, upon check in we were told the Grayline tour wasn't included. Oh well, we got the others and enjoyed them. Check in went well. We were friendly to the desk clerk and he was friendly to us. I think he really appreciated that we didn't bite his head off over the Grayline tour which was beyond his control. You must show your room key card to the front desk security every time you enter the bldg to get to the elevators. These people were nice too.

We had room 1031 which included a set of bunk beds, a desk/chair, and a rather large closet. We had no view other than the rooms across the roof, but, it didn't matter. The a/c worked, but, only had 2 settings...on and off. There was a tv, but, the cable wire was frayed at the end and not hooked to the TV so it made is unuseable. This was somewhat disappointing, but, didn't ruin our trip. (we mentioned this at check out and were told we should have said something and maintanence would have been sent to fix it) There was daily maid service, but, we just exchanged towels with the maid each day and told her she could skip our room. BTW the towels were oversized, thick, and not all stained up. You only got 1 per person, but, I'm sure if you asked the maid nicely she may be able to give you another. If not you could buy one at Duane Reid inexpensively.

Our floor had a ladies and men room in the main hall. The ladies room had a code to open the door. There were 3 toilets, 3 sinks, and 3 shower stalls. The showers weren't the best because the curtains didn't reach the ends so there was a 1-2 inch gap. Many people didn't make sure the curtain was inside the the small lip on the shower floor so they were allowing water to flow onto the floor near the sinks. Also they needed a hook close to the last stall to hang your towel and robe. We chose to dress in our room to make it easier. We never saw an overflowing trash can, but, some people were inconsiderate and didn't carry their trash from the toilet stalls to the can in the next room. Really ladies!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The whole bldg. is "hostel" clean meaning you should plan on wearing flip flops in your room, hallways, and of course the bathroom and shower. The walls have some chipped and peeling paint, there are exposed pipes, and water damage around the windows. You must remember this is an old bldg. in NYC and is nothing out of the ordinary.

The nbrhood is great. I can't imagine why the previous reviewer said is was scarey. The bldg. is on the corner of W. 63rd and Central Park West. Trump Tower is only a block down the street at Columbus Circle. The other bldgs. on 63rd are apartments. Lincoln Center is 2 blocks west with shops, restaruants, etc. The M20 bus heading uptown stops at 63rd or the M104 heading uptown stops at 61st on 8th/broadway. In front of Lincoln Center (9th/Columbus) you can catch a bus heading downtown. The subway is at Columbus Circle by Tump Tower.

We will definitely stay again because the price and location suit our budget and style. We might do the $20 upgrade to the remodeled rooms on the 2 top floors because the bathrooms are better, but, can only be used if you are staying up there.

If you are used to a hostel environment, clean up after yourself, treat people nicely, and want a great location to sleep and shower while not spending a lot of money, the West Side YMCA will fit this bill.

• Stayed May 2011
West Dummerston, Vermont
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2011

Everything was okay nothing great. Do not fell safe at all. The rooms are very small with bunk beds no ladder. Close to central park and subway. The street its located on is very scary. The cost is to much for the value. Security is very nice but not very good. Front desk people are not very nice.

Room Tip: Don't stay here.
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
Leetonia, Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2011

My adult daughter & I stayed here for 3 nights on a Spring Break vacation to the city. As opposed to staying in NJ and taking the train or bus in everyday, the West side Y was perfect! It is what it is: a tiny dorm room with bunk beds, a small desk, a closet. It was just what we needed to sleep without paying big bucks for the local hotels. We found the room clean, although we wore shoes or flip flops at all times, including in the showers. The beds were changed everyday and clean towels provided. I don't have that kind of service at home! All staff members we dealt with were professional and polite, even joking at times. We apparently didn't have to deal with the rude or mean ones....
The shared bathroom was awkward a few times as it is poorly designed. The toilets are around the corner from the sinks, which are in front of the showers. So to get to the sink, you are in the way of anyone trying to get in or out of a shower. Very close quarters & no place to put your shower bag or clean clothes. And where the bedrooms seemed to be clean, the restroom/shower didn't seem to be ever cleaned while we were there. The trash can was full, the floors constanly wet, soap and toothpaste not cleaned out of the sinks. Next time we might try the semi-private shared small bathroom.
I recommend this as a good place to stay with cautions: I would not recommend this as a family place. You can only have 2 people in a room with a bunk bed. If you have more than 2 in your party, you have to get another room. I did see people of all sizes and ages, and while there are elevators, I don't think the building is handicap accessible.
The coffee shop cafe is handy and not overly priced. You can get cheaper coffee & breakfast foods on the street, but not by much.
The best thing about this Y is the location. Next door to Central Park and only a few blocks up from Columbus Circle; a few blocks down from Museum of Natural History; 15 minutes walk to Times Square and 25 minutes to Rockefeller Center.
We didn't take advantage of any of the YMCA facilities, but as a guest you can use the pool & fitness room.
The only WiFi in the building is on the lobby level. There is no internet in the rooms. There are internet computers available on each floor and the lobby for a fee. I took my laptop, but didn't use it much because of the inconvenience of having to go downstairs just to check email.
We would stay here again. In fact, we are already talking about "the next time" and we only arrived home early this morning!

Room Tip: Close dining in all prices near Times Square
  • Stayed April 2011
Wollongong, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2011

This was our first stop on a 3 month trip to the US. We stayed here for 7 nights at the beginning of March 2011, and from the very beginning our experience at West Side YMCA was negative.

After being in transit for approximately 30 hours, we arrived to check in and were 'greeted' by a very rude staff member, who seemed completely disinterested in what she was doing. We experienced the same attitude from all members of staff during our stay.

Our room was very basic (and we had paid extra for a premium room). The floor was very dirty and looked as though it had not been cleaned in quite a while. I actually didn't feel comfortable walking on the floor without shoes on. The area around the air conditioner on our window had not been sealed properly; as a result, our room was constantly freezing, water came inside when it rained, plus the radiator did not work properly. The worst feature of the room, however, were the beds. They are by far the worst I have slept in in my life; the mattresses were made of some kind of foam and most mornings both my partner and I woke up with sore necks and backs.

The only positive experience of our stay was the private external bathrooms. We paid extra for this feature (it is called a 'semi-private bathroom'), meaning there are private bathrooms down the hall. Even these, though, were rarely clean.

I would not recommend this hostel; you are likely to find better value for money at US$99 per night elsewhere.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to West Side YMCA? Share your experiences!