“Perfect family hotel” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Wales

You added Hotel Wales to your Saves list
Hotel Wales
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1295 Madison Avenue, New York City, NY 10128 (Manhattan)   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #288 of 459 Hotels in New York City
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
“Perfect family hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

Found on the internet in order to visit NY in 4 days with my family. It turned out to be a very quiet hotel in a residential area and close to Central Park. Well located to start the days in a easy way with a walk in the Park before heading off to downtown NY. The suite was perfect for our family and the rooftop restaurant facility should be nice in summertime

Room Tip: The Suites are ideal to lodge your entire family.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
HotelWales, General Manager at Hotel Wales, responded to this review, May 6, 2013
I would like to thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us, and look forward in having you back in the near future with your entire family.

General Manger

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (82)
NYC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013

I have traveled around the world and have had the privilege to stay in top luxury hotels. Hotel Wales is so charming I feel like I am in Europe! The staff particularly Rosalyn was so lovely. Extremely welcoming and left me with a feeling I have to come back! The renovation on the hotel makes is tasteful and allows for conversation areas particularly near the coffee area on the Mezzanine level. The neighborhood has wonderful restaurants and boutique shops...even a fabulous manicurist across the street. It gets one out of the hustle and bustle of NYC. The proximity to the Park allows for early morning walks to clear your head. I can't thank Rosalyn enough and the staff of Hotel Wales! Be back soon!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
HotelWales, General Manager at Hotel Wales, responded to this review, April 24, 2013
I'm delighted to hear you found our location a convenience during your stay. We would like to thank you for your compliments of our hotel and staff. It was great to hear Rosalyn provided you with great service . We look forward in having you back in the future.

Seattle
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

I've got to say, on the surface this hotel is starting to look a little tired, but I was able to overlook that as everything else was amazing.
The Wales is a charming old world hotel with loads of character and historical features.
Our room had a sitting area as well which was very welcome at the end of a long day, as was the free tea and coffee on the mezzanine level. The king bed was super comfortable and although the room was not big, we had two TV's (not that we needed them).
Outside the hotel, well Central Park of course, but up this far, it was incredibly quiet and noticeably un-crowded. Now, the restaurants....what a selection and all literally within steps of your front door.
The only negative was the night noise, not people or cars, but trucks, I heard them all - my husband however, slept like a baby, so it's clearly an individual thing.

Room Tip: Go for a room with a sitting area and possibly not on Madison ave.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
HotelWales, General Manager at Hotel Wales, responded to this review, April 16, 2013
Thank you for taking your time and sharing your comments on trip advisor.I'm happy to hear that you enjoyed your room. We look forward in having you back in the future.

USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013 via mobile

stayed at Hotel Wales last summer while visiting my sister and her family who live on the UES.
We visit every summer and have stayed at many hotels in the area...W Hotel, Waldof, etc. I like to be within walking distance to my sister's apt since the kids stay with her and I like to get up early and join them for coffee while husband sleeps in and joins us later. Staying midtown got too annoying with so many cab fares, etc. The hotels we stayed at in her area were fine...Many years staying at the Courtyard Marriott (UES) but too congested with 2nd ave constriction. Hotel Franklin fine, but we had the largest room and too tiny for my husband. Last summer we stayed in the Hotel Wales in their Premium Suite. Very charming and nice. I love the neighborhood and so close to everything.....subway, walking down 5th ave for my morning walk, close to Central Park, picking up bagels, getting sweets from Sarabeth's (next door), madison Ave shops (for window shopping!) We are headed back this summer for 5 nights and have booked same suite. Not sure how the regular rooms are though. just returned from Paris and Hotel Wales reminded me of a European style hotel. If you want a cookie-cutter hotel -- this may not be for you. we loved it!

Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for taking your time in sharing your experience. I'm delighted to hear that you found our location a convenience during your stay. We look forward to welcoming you again!!!

New York, NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

We were redoing our floors and I reserved the Hotel Wales last minute via Hotel Tonight app. My Mom and brother had stayed there a few years back. The hotel is lovely, free wifi and the rooms were in excellent shape. The bed was super comfy and the rainforest shower was a great touch. This is a lovely nice hotel in a great part of town.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
HotelWales, General Manager at Hotel Wales, responded to this review, April 11, 2013
I'm pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay at our hotel. We look forward to seeing you again and thank you for sharing your experience.

Dallas, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

This hotel has a great location at 93rd and Madison. Our room was unique, quaint, and nicely decorated. It's a small boutique hotel with antiques, etc....we loved it. The staff was very accommodating and it was very comfortable. Only one night there was some street noise. It did have small elevators but that wasn't a big deal. I found the bathrooms to be fine and the beds were awesome. We have friends who live on Park Ave so it was a great location for us. It was easy and affordable -we will return.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
I'm delighted to hear that you found our location a convenience during your stay. We would like to thank you for your compliments of our hotel and staff.
We look forward to seeing you again!!!!

Boston, Massachusetts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

I have stayed at this hotel many many times. This hotel has unbelievable potential- terrific location, great neighborhood, and an opportunity to shine. They have the loveliest front desk staff and support staff- who were a strong compensation for some rooms that are tiny, some bigger rooms that are old and have worn furniture and carpets, many rooms that overheat, no central ac, and noisy plumbing. Unfortunately, new management and a new manager have damaged the tone and atmosphere. The new manager was rude to me, a seasoned customer, over a simple request. He has cast a pall over the hotel that risks wiping out the risk/benefit ratio. Can somebody call the Klimptons??

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for sharing your experience with us on Trip Advisor. Having our guests feedback is an excellent tool to better our service as well as the overall guest experience. I would like to extend my apologies for your experience. I'm interested in speaking with you further to this matter, please don't hesitate to contact me at your convenience.

Nestor Teran

Been to Hotel Wales? Share your experiences!