“Lovely little hotel on the UES” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Wales

Save Saved
You added Hotel Wales to your Saves list
Hotel Wales
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1295 Madison Avenue, New York City, NY 10128 (Manhattan)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Stay and Save this Summer
Ranked #269 of 449 hotels in New York City
New York, NY
“Lovely little hotel on the UES”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

We were redoing our floors and I reserved the Hotel Wales last minute via Hotel Tonight app. My Mom and brother had stayed there a few years back. The hotel is lovely, free wifi and the rooms were in excellent shape. The bed was super comfy and the rainforest shower was a great touch. This is a lovely nice hotel in a great part of town.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
HotelWales, General Manager at Hotel Wales, responded to this review, April 11, 2013
I'm pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay at our hotel. We look forward to seeing you again and thank you for sharing your experience.

388 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
Dallas, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

This hotel has a great location at 93rd and Madison. Our room was unique, quaint, and nicely decorated. It's a small boutique hotel with antiques, etc....we loved it. The staff was very accommodating and it was very comfortable. Only one night there was some street noise. It did have small elevators but that wasn't a big deal. I found the bathrooms to be fine and the beds were awesome. We have friends who live on Park Ave so it was a great location for us. It was easy and affordable -we will return.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
I'm delighted to hear that you found our location a convenience during your stay. We would like to thank you for your compliments of our hotel and staff.
We look forward to seeing you again!!!!

Boston, Massachusetts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

I have stayed at this hotel many many times. This hotel has unbelievable potential- terrific location, great neighborhood, and an opportunity to shine. They have the loveliest front desk staff and support staff- who were a strong compensation for some rooms that are tiny, some bigger rooms that are old and have worn furniture and carpets, many rooms that overheat, no central ac, and noisy plumbing. Unfortunately, new management and a new manager have damaged the tone and atmosphere. The new manager was rude to me, a seasoned customer, over a simple request. He has cast a pall over the hotel that risks wiping out the risk/benefit ratio. Can somebody call the Klimptons??

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for sharing your experience with us on Trip Advisor. Having our guests feedback is an excellent tool to better our service as well as the overall guest experience. I would like to extend my apologies for your experience. I'm interested in speaking with you further to this matter, please don't hesitate to contact me at your convenience.

Pawling, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

Very charming hotel but I agree with other ratings that there are some tradeoffs. Elevators and bathrooms very small. Beds and pillows were decent but our room had alot of street noise. The staff were friendly and many sites were within walking distance. I don't know that it was worth the $450 for a double suite.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013 via mobile

Room 506 old carpet we even had a wet spot on floor next to bed, whistling and knocking radiators during sleep, lots of street noise..... if you are looking for a room at Hotel Wales with a family because you would want a little extra room for kids to sleep on pullout in separate room. You would be better off getting a normal room with two beds somewhere else because there is no separation of the bedroom and living area. The only plus I experienced was that the staff was very friendly and the location to Central Park one block away....I didn't see any other rooms but ours looked nothing like the photos on web page

Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
HotelWales, General Manager at Hotel Wales, responded to this review, April 10, 2013
Thank you for sharing your experience with us on Trip Advisor. . Please allow me to extend my apologies for the experience you have described with the noise in the room you stayed in.. I'm interested in speaking with you further in regards to your experience, as we will always do our best to make our guests as comfortable as possible. I'm looking forwrd hearing from you.

San Francisco, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013 via mobile

The Wales has converted their 9-story upper East Side building in several stages over time. Today it's tasteful and generally up to date. Beds are comfortable, our "small suite" was spacious, and the neighborhood offers nice shops and restaurants. Central Park is quite nearby. But there are trade-offs when you choose an old building. Plumbing was slow and noisy. Lobby and elevators are cramped. Doors on the built-on armoires were hard to open. Still, I choose the Wales's charm over comparably priced chain hotels.

• Stayed March 2013
NTeran, General Manager at Hotel Wales, responded to this review, March 30, 2013
Dear Guest,

I would like take this opportunity to thank for your kind words. I really appreciate you choosing the Wales as your place of lodging during your last visit in New York city. Feel free to contact me personally the next time you have plans of coming to New York. I will make sure to quote with our best available rates.

Best regards,
Columbia, SC
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

This is a very nice laid back hotel just off central park on madison avenue in an apparently safe and relatively quiet neighborhood. The staff are very pleasant and overall there is nothing major to fault this property with. I was somewhat disappointed by the lack of temperature control in my room which resulted in it being 10 degrees too warm for me most of the time on my March visit. The windows did open but not enough to compensate for the overactive passive heating. Also, periodic noise from some clanging machinery made leaving the windows open a non starter for sleeping. Also the wireless internet was quite slow, slower than my cellular connection. But it was free. The rooms themselves are typical of a property this age, although the bed was new and comfortable. The bathroom had recently been renovated and was quite nice. The closet was very small and a little awkward and there was no minifridge, coffee machine or ironing board in the room.

That said, despite these limitations the hotel had a very hospitable feel and was clean if also a little "frumpy".

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
NTeran, General Manager at Hotel Wales, responded to this review, March 15, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for thanking the time and giving us your honest feedback. it was our pleasure to count you amongst our guests. Rest assure that we are taking into consideration all of your observations.

again, thank you for your feedback...

Best,

Been to Hotel Wales? Share your experiences!