“Lovely and well loved Victorian” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Wales

You added Hotel Wales to your Saves list
Hotel Wales
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1295 Madison Avenue, New York City, NY 10128 (Manhattan)   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #288 of 459 Hotels in New York City
Martha's Vineyard, Massachusetts
“Lovely and well loved Victorian”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

We arrived for a two night stay and were greeted with a warm welcome. Our suite was spacious, well furnished, and very comfortable. This is an older hotel with all the quirks that come with an older building, small elevator, slightly dated decor, tight odd hallways, but all very well cared for and recently painted with new carpeting. There is not an in house restaurant, but Sarabeth's next door provides room service and is literally two steps out the front door. The neighborhood is charming with nice restaurants - Island, Table d'Hote, and Paola's all on the same block. The only smear on an otherwise lovely stay was the hot water system failed sometime in the night and we were hot water the morning of our departure. The only concession offered - and it was now 10AM - was to comp the internet charge. Too bad...breakfast at least would have been nice. There is construction going on in the neighborhood at the moment, so don't plan to sleep in.

Room Tip: Corner suite was spacious and removed from the hallway noise.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
jcmbuyi, Front Office Manager at Hotel Wales, responded to this review, January 12, 2013
Hello,

We would to take a minute here and thank you for staying with us. We do appreciate your feedback and are glad that you a awesome stay. We are looking forwards to your next visit at the hotel...

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (82)
Saratoga Springs, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2012

The Hotel Wales reminds me of a small European Hotel, where you expect eccentricities. It is over 100 years old, which gives it a certain charm. The renovations included a fresh coat of paint, but it is the plumbing and the heating that need renovation. Water in the shower on two mornings in a row was lukewarm at best, and the pipes make a lot of noise at night. There are no indifvidual thermostats in the hotel rooms, so there is no way to control the temperature in your room. Since I was on the 8th floor, the room was very warm, even if the radiator was off. The walls are thin, so you will hear everything your neighbors say, and people who come back late and talk in the hallway will wake you up.
If you need to be in Carnegie Hill, there are not that many choices of hotels. It does have a good location near Mount Sinai Hospital, the Jewish Museum, the Metropolitan Museum of Art and one block from Centrall Park. The restaurant, Sarahbeth's, provided a good meal and delicious desserts.
You just need to lower your expectations if you stay here. It is clean.

Room Tip: Try to get one at the end of the hallway to minimize the number of people who will pass your room at...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
jcmbuyi, Front Office Manager at Hotel Wales, responded to this review, January 13, 2013
Hello,

We would like to take a minute and thank you for your feedback. We really appreciate your comments and are actively working on some of the issues you have mentionned. If you were ever to come to the area please feel free to contact me directly. Again, thank you for staying with us.
New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

My husband and I live in Carnegie Hill and moved to a suite in the Hotel Wales for a week as our apartment was being renovated.
The Wales is a lovely, old Victorian hotel. It is not The Ritz nor does it pretend to be.
Our suite was large, nicely furnished and had a lovely view of the park. The bed was comfortable and had a down comforter. It had a large screen TV in each room.
The service was excellent. When the heating malfunctioned one morning, it was fixed immediately.
The water was hot and the bathroom towels, while not huge, were fresh and plush. The bathroom was well appointed with a huge tub and a separate shower stall.
Maid service was prompt and friendly.
While we did not order room service, there are two very good restaurants in the hotel.
My only complaint was the Internet service which was just awful. The hotel was having problems with it and they refunded all the charges. The Madison Avenue rooms were somewhat noisy.
We very much enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Hello,

The TEAM at the Wales Hotel would like to thank you for staying with us. We really do appreciate the feedback and hope to see you soon back at the hotel.

Montclair, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

I discovered the Hotel Wales through the Mount Sinai Hospital website. My mom and I were awaiting the arrival of new babies (twins!) to the family and needed a comfortable place to stay nearby. I am happy to report that the Hotel Wales was excellent in all of the ways that are important to me:

1. The reservationist was friendly and efficient.
2. Upon arrival, we were received a warm welcome by Roslyn at the front desk.
3. The valet was prompt, friendly, and took good care of the car.
4. The room was comfortable, immaculate and well maintained.
5. Breakfast, available through the lobby at Sarabeth's kitchen, was terrific.
5. Checkout was accurate and fast.

In short, the Hotel Wales succeeded in providing a great stay for a reasonable price in Upper Manhattan. Moreover, the rooms were comfortable and every person we encountered was friendly and hospitable. I would be happy to stay again if I needed to be in the area.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Hello,

We would like to thank you for satying with us during your recent visit in New York. We really do appreciate the feedback and hope that the twins are doing well. Please feel free to reach out us again for your next trip to the city.

Westport, Connecticut
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2012

The rooms are very small, yet bathrooms are a fair size. Definitely a boutique hotel. Reminds me of staying at a bed and breakfast in Europe. Nothing fancy AT ALL! Location is pretty good, but with high taxi prices getting to theaters, and around town, may want to stay closer to where you want to visit. They keep a small staff..probably becuz of the expense of real estate and size of hotel, so don't expect much. This is a good stay for a bed and shower and a quiet location. No frills.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Hello,

We would like to take a minute here and thank you for your feedback. We really appreciate that you chose our property for your last stay in New York City...
Albany, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

I stayed here to attend a conference at mount sinai hospital. The hotel was an easy walking distance. However, the experience was only adequate. The room was small with a stained carpet next to the radiator and the furniture was nicked. The bed was comfortable. The bathroom was actually very nice with a great stall shower. Internet connectivity was irritatingly bad. The exercise room was a little larger than a closet with only one treadmill! The mezzanine coffee was lukewarm at 930 pm and not very tasty. I thought that a continental breakfast would be available but I was mistaken. When I tried to go to the restaurant downstairs it was already closed at 10 pm on a Friday night! So, I had to buy a snack at the corner minimart. I think that for the same money I could have stayed midtown in a better facility and then just taken a taxi to mount sinai!

Stayed November 2012
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

Had just finished an Eastern Discovery Contiki Tour and my friend and I stayed here for a further 4 days before heading back home.

We had booked Hotel Wales, and do not regret it one bit! The rooms and part of the hotel had a vintage and modern feel. Not being from America, and making our way from Brooklyn to the hotel, even our cab driver was confused as to where the hotel was. Until we saw the shelter with "Hotel Wales" scribbled on it. Upon arrival, the inside was very nice and presentable. Very clean and the receptionist that were there during our stay were very friendly and very helpful! (One lady even remembering our order of water bottles and a bucket of ice every time we returned from sight seeing - We went during the summer). The receptionists were fantastic with providing information when we needed it. Very very helpful and friendly ( Even complimenting our American Top Hats when we were going to the 4th of July Baseball! :] )

The hotel seems pretty small, but it's still amazingly beautiful. Just a reminder - the lifts/elevators are just past the stairs. (We were a little confused trying to find it because it was a pretty small area). I would suggest however, upon arrival, take the lift up with your bags, but other than that, use the stairs, unless your room is located on the upper levels. Being on the 8th level, i found it so much easier using the stairs than the lift. The lift was a bit too small for my liking.

When you stay at this hotel, make your way up to the mezzanine. When i first set foot into the mezzanine I was amazed. It was AMAZING. You can make yourself a cup of coffee or tea and use the Apple MACs that are set up, print some work that you need or even make some notes as they provide you with pens and paper. There's also a gym! I enjoyed sitting at the mezzanine last at night on the phone calling home. I think night staff got a bit of a shock that I was still up at around 2am on the phone, but I think they also understood that I was a tourist and the time difference was completely opposite.

Another place to check out in the hotel is the rooftop terrance. The receptionist had told us Thursdays the bar was open so we could get some drinks! Was great! It was also amazing to just sit and admire the night time view. From the rooftop, during the day, you can also catch a slight glimpse of the Jacqueline Kennedy River at Central Park.

I quite liked the area where the hotel was located. There's a laundry mat not too far away, and also the subway. I also enjoyed it as during the night, it was pretty quiet and a little more secluded. We wanted an area where we wouldn't be disturbed by a lot of noise and we had found the perfect place!

Next time I'm in New York, I know where I'll be staying!!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Hotel Wales? Share your experiences!