“The jewel of hotels in NYC” 5 of 5 stars

Special Rate
Fall rates from $429
Ranked #125 of 454 Hotels in New York City
Annandale, United States
“The jewel of hotels in NYC”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2014

I am always greeted by name as the staff remembers me. The professional staff, the beautiful accommodations! The Spa! The restaurant! The value for your dollars! Every time I stay there I always are treated with kindness and leave there feeling like the entire staff cares, great job!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with Waldorf Astoria

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (120)
  • Polish first
Cornwall
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2014

I stayed at this hotel with my family (husband and two teenage daughters) between 14th and 20th April. We booked through British Airways so I don't know how much we paid for the room as it was an all in price. The total of the holiday was almost £5,000 (including flights) for 6 nights in a two double bed Deluxe Room in the Towers. It was our first trip to New York and we thought we would pay a bit more for some luxury. I am fascinated by 1930s buildings (I live in a 1930s house) as I love that era. I loved the idea of staying somewhere where film stars and presidents have stayed. I was looking forward to seeing our luxurious and glamorous room.

On arrival at the hotel we were welcomed into the private Towers lobby by the doorman who carried our suitcases in for us and a bellboy took them up to our room. We checked in very quickly as there was nobody else waiting. The receptionist, bellboy and doorman were all very courteous, which is what we would have expected in any hotel. The Tower lobby is a lot smaller than the main lobby of the hotel (which is fabulous by the way - absolutely gorgeous!) and it is decorated to a very high standard and is just as luxurious but on a smaller scale.

We were given the key to our room 31F2 which was a room which also had an adjoining room (but we only had the one room so the between the two rooms was locked). The bellboy showed us into our room, told us about the aircon etc and left us to unpack. (the aircon did not work properly the whole time we were there and when we asked the receptionist to send someone to fix it - no one turned up).

This is where the glamour stopped! The room was big enough for two small doubles (probably 4ft) beds. There was a cheap dark wood chest of drawers between the two beds with a lamp and Bose radio on it. There was a mini bar with a tv on top. It was a flat screen tv which had about 20/30 channels but it was pot luck what you got as there was no way of viewing a tv schedule. There was also a cheap looking dark wood desk/dressing table with a mirror and a lamp. The room had no ceiling lights so even with these two lamps on, the room was dingy and you couldn't really see yourself in the mirror, should you want to apply your make up.

There was a small lobby area as you entered the room which had a chest of drawers. This chest was old but not in a good way - it wasn't an antique. The drawers were very difficult to open and close. On top of this chest was a basket with some wine, chocolates, sweets and nuts but as there was no price list we didn't touch them as the Receptionist told us the prices for this and the mini bar were very expensive ($8 for a coke)!

There was also a closet with a safe in the lobby area. This was the only hanging space and it had about 15 hangers in (for four people). There were two robes in the closet (so not enough for one each) and there were two umbrellas which we did use on the first full day as it rained - so these were useful).

The bathroom was small. There was a bath across the width of the room with a shower over and a vanity unit with marble type top and a mirror/cabinet above. There was a loo and a glass shelving unit with toiletries, towels and hairdryer on. There was a large cupboard under the sink but it was rather grotty and it didn't have a shelf.

The mirror above the sink was old and had seen better days. There were black marks on it (like when the silver has worn off).

The bathroom as a whole felt a bit grubby and I felt like I wanted to get my rubber gloves on and give it a good clean. This was mainly due to the crumbling seal around the sink and bath and the fact that the whole room was tired. The sanitary ware was a very unfashionable champagne colour, as were the floor, tiles and the paintwork! The paintwork reminded me of that which would appear in a house of a heavy smoker, such was the colour.

Throughout the room, all the paintwork and wallpaper had seen much better days. I would estimate the room had last been decorated in about 1980. The paint was chipped and the wall paper peeling in places. The windows had cheap vinyl roller blinds (which were grubby) and dingy net curtains. The main curtains didn't close and were only for show.

The room felt cramped. This was made worse because as we didn't have enough drawer and hanging space my daughters just left their clothes in their suitcases which took up floor space.

The view from the room was of an office block. We made sure the blinds were down when changing as we felt that anyone could look straight in.

The room was very disappointing. I had tried to get an upgrade at reception (before seeing the room) as I was hoping they might upgrade to a suite.(well its worth a try). I told them that the holiday was a birthday present to my husband. They were fully booked. I therefore didn't bother to complain as I knew they wouldn't be able to move us.

The complimentary breakfast in the Astoria Lounge was good. I know several people have complained about the queues but we didn't mind queuing and it wasn't for too long anyway. The room is a little on the small size for the amount of guests in the Towers and this is why people are put off. The mornings that we ate breakfast in the hotel - we were very happy with what was on offer. There was oatmeal which I had on one occasion (it was very creamy and with the addition of some brown sugar or honey was very nice). There was also brown or white toast, various jams, marmalade and honey; croissants (mini), Muffins (bran or fruit - large), pastries (ie pain au chocolate etc - mini), little glass dishes with granola and fruit - individual portions), cheese, cold meats (ham and chicken) and smoked salmon, boiled egg. Freshly squeezed orange juice, bottled still and sparkling water, coffee, tea (various to choose from), hot chocolate.
It was a very good breakfast. We ate out for breakfast on two occasions (Pershing Café - Pershings Square near Grand Central Station - highly recommended and Sarabeths opposite Central Park - also highly recommended). On these two occasions we were able to have a cooked breakfast and also pancakes as my daughters wanted them. If you are happy with a more continental breakfast then the hotel's complimentary breakfast is more than adequate and you also get a complimentary newspaper to read whilst you eat or to take back to your room.

Breakfast was served from about 6.30 to 10.30 (longer at weekends). They also opened up the Astoria Lounge in the afternoon between 12.30 and 4pm for afternoon tea, where you could enjoy hot and cold drinks (we often took some bottles of Coke or Sprite back to our rooms) and little cakes and biscuits. We weren't often in the hotel at this time but on the two occasions we were we took advantage of this.

Would we stay here again?

In a word - No. Don't get me wrong, the main public areas of the hotel were beautiful, the gym was lovely and my girls used the showers in the spa/gym area instead of the bathroom in the room (as otherwise we would be two hours getting ready and also because we prefer a separate shower, and said that the gym/spa and changing rooms were lovely). The staff were all courteous (but no more so than the staff in a Premier Inn in Stratford upon Avon that we have stayed in every year for the past 5 years). The fact is, the room really let the hotel down. It seems to be a theme of quite a lot of the reviews on here that the rooms are in desperate need of redecorating and re-furnishing. I have recently checked the website for this hotel and if I had paid the price per night that it is advertising for the room which we had I would be very very disappointed. I think if I were to go back to New York again I would definitely stay in another hotel. I think that The Waldorf doesn't re-decorate because it can easily fill the hotel every night as it is trading on its old reputation. However I do not think they get many repeat bookers.

I wouldn't advise anyone to stay in this hotel and certainly not at the high rates advertised on their website.

Room Tip: If you do stay here, ask to see the room first, if possible. Best time for breakfast in the Astoria...
los angeles
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2014

I would like to commence by saying that while we have an apartment in the New York area, we often use hotels in NYC to house our guests (NYC apartments are quite diminutive). Hence, we have stayed in, or at least visited, most of the higher end establishments in the city. This one ranks as the worst. Yes, at the end of our stay a delightful manager, Ruthie gave us a complimentary night in a presidential style suite, but words cannot express how we would never return. In summary, over the duration of our stay, there were too many problems to encounter.

THE UGLY:
We have been in and out of four different suites. We wanted to create a two bedroom suite for our reunion that was confirmed by a Tischa at the front desk. Upon arrival a blatantly rude receptionist started arguing with us name Denise. We were "upgraded" to a very large, but warn out suite. Guests were using the other three connecting bedrooms, so they wanted to put the standard room we booked on another floor. Long story short, after 4 room changes, 24 hours later, they finally got our rooms somewhat right. They still were not what we booked (or were guaranteed) but at least we got a smaller one bedroom suite and a standard room connecting. These were also very tired and dated, but fine. It was downhill from there. Housekeeping kept bothering us. We could not control the temperature in the room. It was so cold, they gave us two space heaters. Very classy. Towards the end of our stay, the front desk wanted us to move again to accommodate other guests. Of course, our bill was wrong at check out.

TIPS FOR GUESTS:
If you are booking the towers for breakfast, it really wasn't great. There was ALWAYS a line to get into an itty bitty room. Food was mediocre with not a large variety. Coffee was horrible. Orange juice came out of a carton. The reception at the middle of the day had a few stale cookies and sodas.
I wouldn't stay here if I was on a business stay. The wifi was very bad and expensive. They also charge for a business center that isn't open for much of the weekend or at nights.
If this is your first time to NYC forget this place. You will waste so much time changing rooms, arguing with the front desk, and being on hold to resolve problems. Stay elsewhere.

TO THE HOTEL (IF YOU ARE READING THIS):
Front desk employees should not be rude and argue with guests.
Rooms are in desperate need of major remodeling.
Daniel, the bellman, should be running your front desk.

Glasgow
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2014

The Waldorf Astoria , Salubrious? Yes! Comfortable? Definitely! Expensive ? Oh Yes! Location? Perfect !
5 star+ ? No Way..In fact I would struggle to give it a 3..
Wake up hungry in the middle of the night and you will have to wait until the hell hole that is Oscars ( their breakfast room ) opens as they don't have room service for guests after 11 pm.
As for Oscars,well think of a mobbed school canteen mixed in with a Golden Corral and you will get the picture ..noisy and disgusting..oh you do get linen napkins to throw up in I suppose.
( do yourself a favour and take yourself round the corner to The Smith 956 on 2nd Ave , excellent )
Harrys Bar and Peacock Alley ..both over priced and full of pretentious, preening truculent yuks and that's just some of the staff ..Dont get me started on the fellow guests..My god! Some are so stuffed full of themselves they would burst if they ever looked in a mirror!
The Savoy, The Ritz or Claridges this place is certainly not , It doesn't even come close.
And do not leave anything in your room on checking out as my brother did..Its stolen in a flash which I suppose is the only thing that was done quickly here..

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2014

We booked the hotel expecting a special experience. Unfortunately this was not to be the case.

Although we arrived after the check in time, the room was not ready. When we were able to access the 1 bed suite, it simply was not what we had expected - tired, dark and with beds that would just about fit in 2 people, let alone a family of 4 (the only option I had been given via online booking was 2 beds, no mention of size... we had not in our wildest dreams expected 4' wide beds)...

Staff were friendly and offered to see if they had another room available, they would check and call right back... this set the tone of things to come. No call back, I had to chase an update. No other room, but they would bring two additional small beds at no cost for us to check out (positive response). Several calls later, the beds arrived. It meant wall to wall beds, with access by climbing on the bottom of the bed, but at least we had room to sleep... not the image that one has of the Waldorf though.

The promised coffee machine took several phone calls to arrive.

The entire suite had one hook on the wall, located next to the shower in the bathroom. Interesting when you have towels for 4 people to locate... not to mention when you have been out in the rain and walk through the front door, wondering then where to put the wet coats... it beggars belief.

The suite was not kept clean. Carpets were dirty. The safe did not work, it transpired that the noise it emitted was due to a low battery but noone at the hotel was able to fix this, it wouldbe the next day before someone could come. It got to the point that we had to ask the hotel manager to look over the issues in the room. She was a lovely lady and understood the feedback we were giving. Her personal commitment was that someone would fix the safe at 0900 the next morning. At 0930, we left for breakfast, she was very embarrassed when I had to call after breakfast to establish what to do with our valuables, given that the safe was still not working due to the non appearance of the promised person...

That single episode really summed up the entire experience for me. Very nice people, but a spectacular disappointment in terms of delivery.

The offer of a free upgrade on a future stay is not one that we will be taking up, I would not be inclined to use this hotel again.

Dubai, United Arab Emirates
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2014

Our rooms were not available on arrival as apparently they didn't exist and this is not an inexpensive hotel for a family of 6! We spent a couple of days separated as a family in different rooms and eventually got upgraded to a spectacular suite which surpassed our expectations. The frustrating thing was the ability to commit and deliver on expectations and our complaint didn't get taken seriously until I googled and e mailed the area general manager for the hotel group. Concierge service was brilliant and we got fantastic recommendations for wonderful restaurants. Overall a wonderful stay and service was recovered after a poor start. Great location and wonderful food.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view and double check they have your booking!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Augusta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2014

Just returned from a special trip to Manhattan and stayed in a corner suite at the Waldorf Towers. The suite felt more like a fine home than a hotel, and the staff was unfailingly professional and welcoming. Whitney, our assistant in selecting the suite, was extraordinary and made a special effort to greet us personally upon our arrival. The Tower rooms are definitely a different experience than rooms in the rest of the hotel, and I suggest upgrading if at all possible. An iconic experience.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to The Towers of the Waldorf Astoria? Share your experiences!