“Historic hotel, buy the level of service is random.” 4 of 5 stars

Special Rate
Winter rates from $429
Ranked #134 of 459 Hotels in New York City
Clarksville, MD
“Historic hotel, buy the level of service is random.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013 via mobile

I stay here often. Rooms are small if you don't upgrade. Nice ambiance. Service is spotty. Sometimes I get a quick response to a request, other times it takes an hour or more. Crowded lobby restaurant. Good midtown location. Hilton honors points can be earned here! Room service is pricey, but food is decent. Love the eggs Benedict.

You can get a suite for not much more with two double beds and a sleep sofa, with two rooms. Great for families!

• Stayed February 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (128)
  • Polish first
Lima, Peru
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013

Excellent iconic hotel! It's totally worth it! Romantic, classic luxurious, excellent and extra-kind service (They called daily to ask if everything was alright, without intruding or make us feel stoked), wonderful breakfast.
The location is perfect and the staff couldn't be nicer and kinder.
The included breakfast was sumptuous, gourmet level.
We'll be back for our next anniversary!

Room Tip: Let them pumper you. You'll never feel better.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

My husband and I used some points to have a long weekend getaway in the city. Having been several times, but never stayed at the Waldorf, we thought we'd see what it was like. It didn't start off too well. My husband stays in Hiltons a 1-2 weeks every single month and has been a Diamond member for quite some time. Apparently that didn't mean anything. We had to wait 3 hours for our room to be ready. In the meantime, the employee at the HHonors desk told us about how bad the room we booked was, and that we should really wait for the upgraded room to be cleaned. I didn't think that was very professional.
While we waited, we had a late lunch in the restaurant/bar in the lobby. For a burger, coke, soup&grilled cheese, our tab was $69. Extremely over priced, as is most everything in NYC.
It is definitely an older hotel, but that's the charm of it. A lot of the original decor is still in use and on display. Being older, there are things like peeling wallpaper in some corners, layers of paint, original bathtubs. But it's clean and functioning.
The heater in the bathroom didn't work. It took 2 hours and 3 service men to get us a decent portable heater. Also, there was a wedding reception Saturday night in the main lobby. They blocked off the entire main entrance and made paying guests go through the basement to get to another set of elevators to go to their rooms. I'm sure the couple getting married paid a pretty penny to have the reception there, but so did the guests staying at the hotel. A little more courtesy and respect could have been shown to hundreds of paying customers.
I'd recommend it for a one time stay. It's neat to experience. But I wouldn't say it's affordable or any better than a newer, more modern hotel.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
WAMeg, Public Relations Manager at The Towers of the Waldorf Astoria, responded to this review, February 20, 2013
Thank you for staying with us and sharing your impressions via TripAdvisor. We appreciate your input and apologize for any inconveniences you encountered with accessibility and room appointment during your stay. We strive to provide unique experiences in inspiring environments for each of our guests and we will utilize your comments as we continually work towards this goal. We hope you will consider staying with us again the next time you are in the city so we might show you the singular Waldorf experience you have come to expect from us.

Moscow, Russia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

What an amazing view from the higher floors, it feels like you are going to a private VIP shopping tour to Macy's or else on 5th Ave. Due to my Hilton Honors Status I got a multiple upgrade to a Suite with a living room, that impressed my NY friends who visited me. As I showed up a day late, due to some misunderstandings in the arrival date, after my transatlantic flight, the Hotel had charged to my credit card the walk-in rate of the Suite at >2,500 $ - to my corporate credit card, which allows only US gov't rates, LOL. I was qualified no-show, and charged the full rate of the suite, as if I had ordered it. My GM was very surprised... Anyway, the Hotel kept the upgrade, and paid the difference back to my credit card. The suite was indeed old-fashioned, and the windows were small and dirty, but I had great fun, and my friends weer impressed.. What else you want. The bar is of course THE place to meet in NYC.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Boston, Massachusetts, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2013

Room and service is nothing special. You pay for views and location. That's pretty much it. Same old hotel problems you will get anywhere else. I stayed in the Towers directly next to the Penthouse Suite on the 43rd floor. The room was slightly larger than a normal hotel room with a nice bathroom. For what I spent for two days, I could have had the same experience in NYC for much much less money. I have stayed all over NYC and continue to do so frequently. Much better hotels (even within the Hilton brand) that will give you a better experience and not kill your wallet.

Room Tip: Don't bother with paying for a discounted upgrade if offered. Free upgrades only!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
WAMeg, Public Relations Manager at The Towers of the Waldorf Astoria, responded to this review, February 5, 2013
Thank you for sharing your honest input on your recent stay with us. We appreciate your candor and apologize you were not impressed by the service and appointment of your guestroom. We strive to provide the best in hospitality and accommodations and we will keep your comments in mind as we strive to meet this goal moving forward. We hope to have another opportunity to show you the singular Waldorf experience you deserve should you return to the city in the future.

Liverpool, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

The staff at all levels from doorman, reception to chambermaids are exceptional, no one is aloof, all are totally professional. When you stay here for a length of time, the place does seem to feel like home! But the furnishings are beginning to look a little tired, nevertheless, if its good enough for Obama, then I guess it's good enough for me.
I notice some earlier review have said this hotel is not well located, sorry, it is perfect!

Room Tip: Tell them what you want, they will take notice of what you need and will genuinely do their best to...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Pasadena, CA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2013

The name Waldorf-Astoria used to conjure an image of opulence and luxury that few would ever experience. I remember coming to the hotel with my family many years ago (probably around 30) just to get a drink (soda) and being amazed by the beautiful foyer with beautiful rugs and vases of flowers and music playing from a harp. Being a teenager I did not want to come but after arriving I did not want to leave.

Perhaps my expectations were too high but our stay was a bit disappointing. I had booked a king suite in the Waldorf Astoria Towers for our 7th wedding anniversary and my wife's birthday. Although I had mentioned it when I had booked on-line it was never acknowledged while we were there. The lobby is a reminder of the grandeur the hotel once embodied. We were taken to room 34H4 which was spacious but almost too much so as the furniture arrangement made the room feel sparsely appointed. Time had robbed the furniture and decor of its relevance and beauty and it just looked and felt old and oppressive.

The chest of drawers was flimsy and poorly constructed. The drawers did not slide well. It certainly looked old but did not appear to be of good craftsmanship.

The bathroom sink had a nice marble top but was held up by aged lucite (circa 1970-1980) legs. The black and white tile was cleaned reasonably well but still bore the stain of debauchery of ages past. Brass or gold-colored fixtures had lost their shine and gold color. The bathtub had the usual two knobs for hot and cold water. The switch which you would usually expect to shunt the water to the shower head did nothing but there was a third lever of completely different color and design which activated the shower very much a jerry-rigged device. The lighting in the bathroom was too dim and contributed to the mood and feel of the room. Toiletries were actually very nice Salvador Ferragamo shampoo, conditioner, bath splash, and lotion although the bottles were far too small. The bath and facial soap appeared to be made especially for the Waldorf.

34H4 has an adjoining room that is divided by a flimsy door which is barely adequate to provide protection and wholly inadequate to insulate sound as we were to find out on our final night's stay. We returned to our hotel room at around midnight after seeing a Broadway show. There was a party in the adjoining room. "No problem. We'll take a shower. They'll probably settle down by the time we're ready for bed." Didn't happen. Called the front desk who was very courteous and sent security. The music stopped but the loud conversations of too many people in the room continued. Then someone tried to open the door that separated our two rooms. More calls to the front desk but the noise didn't finally stop until 2:00 AM.

The next morning when I mentioned it to the front desk clerk he was quick to apologize and reduced the rate for that evening by 25%. I would have preferred that they had moved the party to another room or escorted them out the door.

Breakfast in the Astoria Lounge is really not as glamorous as it sounds. It is a simple continental breakfast with bread, a few pastries, cheese, lunch meats, fruit, yogurt, juice, and coffee. Nice if I was staying at Motel 6 but I expected more at the Waldorf.

The staff is very courteous and go out of their way to be helpful which is why they got as high of a grade as they did.

Room Tip: Don't get 34H4
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
WAMeg, Public Relations Manager at The Towers of the Waldorf Astoria, responded to this review, January 24, 2013
Please accept our gratitude for your detailed account of your recent stay at our historic hotel. We appreciate hearing from our guests as new perspectives help us to continually evolve to best meet and exceed your expectations. We know our name comes with high standards for service and accommodations and we do our best to live up to them. We will keep your observations on our suite appointment and noise issues in mind as we look towards future renovations and policy implementations. We apologize for any disappointment you experienced and hope to have another opportunity to show you the singular Waldorf experience you expect and deserve from us should you return to New York in the future. We look forward to seeing you back soon.

Meg.Towner@waldorfastoria.com

Been to The Towers of the Waldorf Astoria? Share your experiences!