“A wonderful wedding day (without the wedding)!” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Rooms from $399/nt
Ranked #126 of 452 hotels in New York City
London, United Kingdom
“A wonderful wedding day (without the wedding)!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

My partner and I were due to marry on the 30th of September, however due to the death of one of the bridal party we decided to postpone and get away with a trip to NYC over the would be wedding weekend.

We booked to stay at the Waldorf Astoria and on our arrival were told that we had been given an upgrade to The Towers.

The room that we were provided with was on the 35th floor and adjacent to the presidential suite. It was clean and spacious. The bed was comfortable and it had a great view looking down on the beautiful church.

The bathroom had a separate bath and shower, was very spacious. The room was missing the hairdrier however this was replaced almost as soon as i called down. The room was serviced daily, however we did miss the night turndown on one occasion.

The complimentary breakfast was good, however not enough tables- especially when there are few famous faces with their entire entourage all eating at the same time! However who are we to complain- the coffee was good and the juice fresh!

The next thing on my list is the concierge service- this was top notch, we had a list of what we wanted to cover in the few days that we were in the city and they were able to arrange it all for us. So that no time was wasted they contacted us when things were done and updated us so that we could make decisions when we needed to. I compleatly trusted all of their recommendations we were booked into a beautiful venician restaurant for our special 'wedding dinner'. Which was amazing!

He was even great at helping me when I was checking my partner and I onto our flight home and I sat us at different sides of the plane!

The hotel really made this stay a memory of a lifetime. I was initially dreading the weekend following the postponement of the wedding, however I now look back in complete joy to a stay that was wonderful and magical.

Thank you to The Towers.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

695 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (108)
  • Polish first
Chestnut Ridge, New York, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

I wanted ti choose a beautiful hotel for my husbabd's 50th birthday. Everything in NYC is crazy expensive The Waldorf is no exception. I found a website that helped me get a rate that was still high but for one night I was able to handle it. They put balloons in the room, more than I even asked for, it was very festuve! They did leave us complimentary Champagne which was a surprise! The room was gorgeous, the bedding was super comfy and the view was spectacular! The lounge we had access to gave us a nice continental breakfast which was included. The lounge also offered complimentary tea and coffee, cappucino etc.. and the most decadent of mini cakes between 12-4 pm. The staff was very pleasant and very helpful. Ii is right near Rockefeller Plaza so great location especially during the holidays. I would definitely recommend a stay at he Waldorf!

• Stayed November 2012
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

While I can definitely see the historic charm of the Waldorf Towers, it can use some updating in the rooms. The lobby, while small, is elegant and lovely. It exudes class and charm.

The rooms, in particular the bathrooms, are another story. While my bathroom was spotless, there was no question it hadn't been updated in perhaps 30 or so years. There was only one sink with very little counter space for makeup, etc. The tub was at least 30 years old and the gold trim around the (very small) shower was dated.

I was told I was in a renovated room, so I do wonder when the last renovation was? I was told the age of the fixtures is part of the charm, but they were not original to the hotel and just appeared to be very dated and in need of replacement.

One thing that really annoyed me is that when I got to my room, there was an overwhelming odor of perfumed room spray. I am sensitive to migraines and the smell was offensive. I called downstairs and asked that they do something about the smell. They said they would send someone up to open the windows (boy are they hard to close) and put an ionizer in the room. The ionizer never arrived. Though I requested the spray not be used in my room again, it was used AGAIN the next day. Not a big issue, but incredibly annoying.

The room itself was spacious and very comfortable with a large closet. The bed was very comfortable with nice linens.

The lounge with complementary continental breakfast was a disaster! I waited 15 minutes for a table. When I left the table to line up for coffee, someone decided to skip the line and take my table!! I told the staff and they suggested that I wait for another table. I told them I had already waited 15 minutes for the table I had and suggested that Mr. Line Jumper wait his turn. Instead they gave him a recently vacated table and let him completely skip the (long) line. To be clear there are maybe 25 tables for 25 floors of rooms!!! That equates to ONE table per floor!!! Seriously. Though the food and coffee was good, this was a frustrating experience. I would think the Towers should add more space to this space.

Overall I had a satisfactory stay at the Towers, though I did get an exceptional deal for the weekend. If I had paid full price I would not have been happy. Would I stay here again? Doubtful, even if I got the same rate.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
London England
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

We relocated here whenthe lights went out in down town Manhattan in the immediate aftermarth of hurricance Sandy. The good news was they had room, albeit suites only, and the staff were welcoming. Believe me after phoning 10+ hotels on a mobile with erratic recption to get nothing, a welcome of any sort was good news. The pricing was lets say steep, but we had little choice. We were given two suites, one vast and the second needing a map to find your way about. The beds are good and comfortable. If the decoration was last refreshed circa 1970 and it looks it. the WIFI was charged daily and there was room service when they got round to it. Neither really not good enough for a hotel of this repute. the complimenatry breakfast is again below the standard excepted, too cramped, indifferent quality, and insufficient vareity. That is free at point of delivery misses the issue, its already in the expensive room rate. the hotel booked our car to the airport, it was fine except agian the price was eye watering and the driver droped us in the car park not the terminal entrance. Groundlink do the same for 1/2 the money

Overall we were grateful but would never choose to stay there, their pricing is based on a reputation we saw little of to be deserved and and in normal circumstances NYC has much better hotels and much more reasonble prices. See my review of the Crosby St Hotel by way of example

Room Tip: see review
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
WAMeg, Public Relations Manager at The Towers of the Waldorf Astoria, responded to this review, December 12, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to share feedback on your recent stay with us. We are sorry to hear you were disappointed in your visit and we understand your frustration. Even in the face of despair such as that caused by Hurricane Sandy, we strive to provide our guests with the best in comfort and convenience and regret this was not your experience. We have shared your comments on your breakfast and room service experiences with our food and beverage team who will work to improve our offerings and prevent similar experiences in the future. We hope you will consider staying with us again under more positive circumstance so we might show you the quality service and stay you expect and deserve from us should your travels bring you back to the area.

Meg Towner

Meg.Towner@waldorfastoria.com
Phoenix
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2012

I stayed in the Towers for 5 nights traveling alone. I disagree with the negative comments. I found my one bedroom in the towers to be beautiful and up to date. The shower in the tub instead of a regular showers woud be its only flaw, but it IS an old historic hotel. I found the staff to be extremely helpful and willing to assist in any way they could. I felt very safe on the 34th floor. I went on the tour of the hotel that includes lunch ($50) and found it very educational and learned a lot about the history of the hotel as well as got a good tour of the Waldorf. I used room service and found the food to be very good and delivered hot and timely. I appreciated the free breakfast that came with my room (on the 26th floor).

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Colombo, Sri Lanka
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

My husband and I stayed at the Waldorf for 3 nights in a Suite, which was fabulous and where I in particular felt like royalty. It had an entrance foyer with an unstocked bar, which was the least impressive area. This led to a massive and beautifully decorated lounge with windows overlooking on one side the front of the hotel and on the other the side street which has an entrance to the Towers and also a beautiful little church. The large and lovely bedroom is also from the entrance foyer. The bedroom had a walk-in closet with the safe etc. From the bedroom it also led into a separate large dressing room with wardrobes, vanity and a sofa. Thru here was the large toilet with his and her vanity areas with all the toiletries, a bath with lots of fluffy towels and with seperate bath and toilet cubicles. The two kinds of soap provided was lovely. What more could you want. We had breakfast at Oscars, which was really good, in an american way, not a huge variety as in some luxury and 5 star hotels. My husband says it's the best bacon he has had. The hotel is in walking distance to most places such as Rockefeller Centre, Sacks, Times Square etc. All in all it was a wonderful start to our vacation. I have rated a 'very good' instead of an 'excellent' because there was no personal touch from the staff and did not feel pampered, and you get the feeling you are just one in a crowd, where after checking-in no one knows whether you are a guest or one of the site-seeing crowd.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Coventry, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

We travelled to new York for a second visit on our honeymoon as just love the place!
This hotel was amazing, we stayed in the towers and oh wow our room had a fantastic view of the city. We had complimentary breakfast each morning and there was a Starbucks within the hotel.

The food was amazing, the lobby during Christmas time was out of this world. I cannot say enough about this hotel, we plan to return soon

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to The Towers of the Waldorf Astoria? Share your experiences!