“Threatened us!” 1 of 5 stars

2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   515 W 42nd St, New York City, NY 10036 (Midtown)   |
Ranked #327 of 464 Hotels in New York City
“Threatened us!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed today NEW via mobile

Horrible, threatened to kick us out when we inquired about a different room or partial refund due to broken ac!

When we checked in, we set the ac to the lowest, 50 degrees. When we came back 9 hours later the room was still at 80 degrees! I called the front desk and the Indian accent front person sent a security guy up with a fan. I called and asked if we could be placed in another room or get a partial refund. He said the security guy said there was more than 4 people in the room (I had guests here to talk and socialize) he said that could cause the heat and can kick us out or charge us double, all because I inquired about a different room or a partial refund! I call for help and he threatened to kick my family out to the curb? He was being a smart mouth and only brought up charging more when I inquired about a refund. Do NOT STAY HERE! It's a rip off, you have to pay for parking, the pool is broken and pay for wifi.

Oh and he said to open the window it'll be quiet in 15 minutes. I said it's loud and bright out there's no guarantee that it'll be quiet out. He responded with yes it will.
It's past midnight and I am so frustrated I am writing this now. There are still car horns honking and loud street noises, he is wrong and rude. Never will I stay here again because of him.

Stayed May 2015, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (213)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Canberra, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

Stayed for five nights at the end of Feb 2015 and was very happy with this hotel. It is in an excellent location, and whilst it is old it is not run down. We were on the seventh floor and found street noise minimal - however the walls are paper thin! All in all very good value for money.

• Stayed April 2015, traveled with friends
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Stayed in February for 4 nights great value great kocation and wonderful staff. We really enjoyed our stay room was spotless and we walked everywhere from hotel. We brought a fold up scooter for our 7 year old which worked a treat no tired little legs. Would definitely stay here again. Thanks to all the staff!

Room Tip: Try get room away from front street
  • Stayed February 2015, traveled with family
Winnipeg, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Spent 4 nights here in May 2014 and I thought this place was pretty decent.

New York was the main destination on a road trip last year, so it was convenient that this hotel had relatively cheap parking at $20 a night.

Didn't know that the hotel sat above a subway line until I looked out the window that faced 43rd street, but it wasn't all that loud, surprisingly.

A huge plus at this place is the outdoor pool, which I took advantage of every day I was there. Hotel had an okay fitness room, certainly enough for a short stay.

Elevator was super slow and small but at least it worked. The entrance/exit was right by the car so that was convenient.

The room was fine, a tad dated but still comfortable. Air conditioning worked fine. Bathroom tiny but that wasn't unexpected. Beds were comfortable and linens were changed when requested.

The price was also reasonable for the amenities included, though I do think the hotel should offer free WiFi.

All in all, good value.

Stayed April 2015, traveled as a couple
Mississauga, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

While I have been to New York many a times, it was my first visit with my family. They have been excited, specially my daughter. This hotel was booked after lot of consideration and with a bit of caution. Unfortunately, it did not turn out the way it was expected and that is where a conflict between mind and heart.

Very first morning, hot water was not running down the taps. While a request was made at front desk, some one was sent to check. We were told there is something wrong with the pipes and hence the problem. Room service went down promising to come back soon with a solution. Before even he could come, a plumber came, did some work and hot water was in. Happy. But only for few minutes. After a while, very cold water was running through the taps. While checking at front desk, we were offered to take a bath in another room which was not expected from customer service point of view - staying in one room and each one of us three going to take a bath in another room. Next solution given was to change the room. Happy again but the new room was under construction and I guess the front desk girl did not know that it can not be allotted. She realized it later and apologized to shift our family to another room. Happy again. When we shifted the bags to that room, we find the window AC vent was covered with card boards and duct tapes. While I brought this to the notice of attendant, he calmly tells no one had problem with this so for. This prompted me to have a clear chat at front desk. In the mean time, we had bath in another room since we had wasted three hours in just talking and shifting the bags and we had to go out to meet some one.
On my way out, I spoke with the director of Operations. He listened and apologized, promised to get needful done. On return, we saw all was in order (it is a difference story that next morning, same thing happened and we had to take bath in another room again)
Why I feel sad is this is such a lovely hotel with in budget and most of the people with sensitivity to customers. It is some people from front desk who could not handle the situation and in fact, made it worse. Vincent (Operations director) has been very apologetic and waived off a night tariff along with the parking. Thank you for reducing the pain. He has been helpful in getting my refund from Expedia as well.
Now the big question - are we going to stay there on our next visit? Experience tells us not to do so but heart says to go for it once again. This type of situations can happen in any hotel but it is the way these are managed. Unfortunately these were not managed in right way in our experience. Yet, I will like to give it another chance just because of Vincent and the location. Hopefully, we will see corrective measures.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the street are better and do not feel cramped. I will advise to check the rooms before...
  • Stayed March 2015, traveled with family
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

This was the third time I have stayed at the Travel Inn hotel and it will be the last. My mum and I arrived in the evening after a long flight. We were given a room on the third floor overlooking the pool with the only window in the room looking onto a busy corridor, not allowing for any natural daylight to get into the room. We couldn't get our door to close at first and when we eventually did we struggled to get it open again. I went down to reception and asked if we could change rooms. The manager could not have been less interested and only spoke to me by shouting through from his desk at the back of the reception area. He told me he would get a maintenance worker to look at the door but the hotel was fully booked for that night and we could change rooms in the morning. The maintenance worker arrived promptly once I returned to the room and explained the side of the door would have to be shaved and he couldn't do this while we were staying there. We attempted to sleep in the room since it was only for one night, but got hardly any sleep due to a loud family in the next room shouting and fighting most of the night and people making noise as they came out of the lift which was right next to our room. Someone even tried our door as the result of confusion over which room they were staying in! We passed the reception in the morning and as different staff were working there from the night before, we explained we were told we could move rooms. We were told to come down after breakfast as there were rooms available. This was at 8am, which made me wonder if I had been lied to about the hotel being full. We packed up our luggage and went to reception where we were handed keys for a different room on the fifth floor. We went upstairs only to find they had given us a room in exactly the same location but on a different floor! I went back down to reception again and complained. The receptionist was extremely rude stating there was no such thing as a quiet room as "you are in New York city you know". I explained to her I had stayed at the hotel previously and had no problem sleeping in a room with a street view. Eventually, after much arguing the manager got involved and gave me keys to a room looking onto the street. Although we got a much better sleep, we found the hotel to be grubby and shabby. The bathroom in particular needed a thorough clean. It appears standards have been greatly lowered since we last stayed here.

• Stayed April 2015, traveled with family
Killington, Vermont, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

The Travel Inn on 42nd St. in NYC is a wonderful find and I've stayed there 5 times now. This most recent time I had a brand new room - newly renovated just 3 months ago. The rooms are large and quite spacious, especially by NYC standards, and the hotel has it's own discounted parking garage for the guests. A quick walk to Times Square, the Theater District and the subway, make it the perfect location for a NYC vacation. I will definitely stay here again and I would highly recommend it.

Room Tip: A inner room facing the pool would have less street noise than a front room, however we stayed in a...
  • Stayed April 2015, traveled with friends

Been to Travel Inn Hotel New York? Share your experiences!