“Great lap swimming pool” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Travel Inn Hotel New York

Save Saved
You added Travel Inn Hotel New York to your Saves list
Travel Inn Hotel New York
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   515 W 42nd St, New York City, NY 10036 (Hell's Kitchen)   |
Ranked #314 of 455 Hotels in New York City
New Orleans
“Great lap swimming pool”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2014

I have stayed at the Travel Inn many times. The outdoor pool which is open in the summer is great. Most of the day one can swim laps without any problems as the pool isn't normally crowded at all. I swim when it first opens each day and have the pool all to myself. The hotel is only two blocks from the Hudson and the Circle Line operates from there and the Intrepid is there. When I checked out at noon and had time to kill before going to the airport, I sat on a bench under a tree along side the river and read. There are many very nice restaurants at all price ranges on nearby Ninth Avenue and some right on Tenth Avenue,. The hotel is at the corner of Tenth Avenue. The price is normally reasonable for New York. I do recommend asking for a room that isn't directly on the street. I have found the front desk very helpful. There is parking underneath the hotel. I just got home from New York last night and I plan to stay at the Travel Inn again next summer.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that doesn't back up to one of the streets and isn't next to an elevator.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (178)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Ocean County, NJ
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2014

I had made my reservation about 10 days before my stay, so there were no handicap rooms available, much to my chagrin. The staff at the hotel were wonderful! A great plus was that it was right off the Lincoln Tunnel. The location is so close to many key attractions on in the city, like Times Square. I was there for a conference at the Javits Center. My scooter fit in the elevator, a plus, the room was a little tight, so they had to take out the sitting chair so I could fit my scooter in. The bathroom was very narrow, and I bought my own seat for the shower. Again, this wasn't a handicap room, So it would be a nice size room, if I didn't need my scooter. The room was clean, it had a desk and chair, a sofa table that house had the tv on it. As it was an older hotel, they had a power strip under the tv table and ran a power cord across the outer wall to the desk, they were stabled to the molding so you didn't trip over it. The room overlooked the pool, but I didn't have time to use it. It did look nice though. Parking-Great! You do have to pay for it now. but it is not that expensive compared to the rest of NYC. Very reasonable. My last day, after the convention was over, they let me keep my car in the parking garage so I could go exploring. Perfect. I would definitely stay here again. but would insist on a bigger room, or handicap one. And the police station is across the street, so that made me feel safe traveling alone.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Wingham, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2014

We stayed 3 nights. Loved the outdoor pool and smoking room! Not the Ritz but very clean and quiet. Right beside is a liquor store and a good priced restaurant. It is 3 blocks down to time square. They also have free parking if you drive there. Good deal for the money.

Central NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2014

Hotel is clean, great location near theaters and "reasonably" priced for the area. Desk people were friendly and helpful. There is a breakfast/deli place next door and a CVS drug store/convenience store on the corner. We had to walk through the parking garage to get to the elevator to our room which did not bother us but might matter to others. Could not get internet to work ($6.00/day) in the room. Desk tried to fix but in the end they took it off our bill. Also not a big deal to us. Would stay here again.

Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
Wales
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2014

We stayed here for three nights over the Fourth of July weekend.

As a family of four we booked a double, double room and were pleasantly surprised by the size of the room. Yes the bathroom is small but spotlessly clean and the towels are changed daily. You also have a full size fridge and microwave in the room which was great for keeping snacks and drinks in the room. The hotel pool is open 10am - 7pm, we found it great for cooling down after a hard day's sightseeing. There is always a life guard on duty and towels are available poolside.

We took advantage of the car park which was so handy. Yes it's $20 a day to park but when you see other car parks a stone's throw away charging around $10 for half an hour, you realise what good value this is!

The deli adjacent to the hotel was also so handy. Four of us ate breakfast there for around $25 daily. There's also a CVS pharmacy opposite, which is handy for drinks and snacks. They even stock microwaveable meals if you wanted to make something in the room.

The location of this hotel is outstanding, literally a five minute walk in one direction to Times Square and a five minute walk in the other direction to the Hudson River and the Circle line for boat trips to see the Statue of Liberty etc.

This hotel is well run, spotlessly clean and in an excellent location. Not particularly a luxurious or romantic hotel but if like us you're looking for a good value, clean hotel, centrally located for sightseeing look no further, especially if you're travelling with a family.

Room Tip: Choose an inside pool view room if possible.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2014

Pro : newly renovated, quality, location, microwave / frig.
Cons : services, windows.

What a surprise. I was expecting an old and small new-york style room but instead, I got a very nice recently renovated space. The room finish is high and modern. And for New-York standard, we can say the room is fairly large. I really appreciate the nice bathroom and glass shower. The mini-frig and the microwave are also well organized and appreciated.

On the negative:
The staff service is so-so. But, you can expect this from a busy Manhattan hotel.
Others reviews tell truth, the main window doesn’t close very well. You will have a small gaps open directly on the 42e. It’s not super loudly, but not very quiets either. But, you are in Manhattan. Do not expect to have a quiet night anywhere ;)

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Center Moriches
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2014

Spent 2 nights and was pleasantly surprised. Nothing fancy but clean and convenient. Bathrooms are teeny tiny but shower was hot and strong. Beds were not super comfy but air conditioner worked and neighborhood was fairly quiet. Great location for going to theaters and near lots of restaurants on 9th avenue. Breakfast next door at sit down deli was really inexpensive and good. For the price it is definitely worth it if you are planning on being in New York to do things and not hang out in hotel room. Would go back again.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends

Been to Travel Inn Hotel New York? Share your experiences!