“Pleasure” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #327 of 464 Hotels in New York City
Lebanon, New Hampshire
“Pleasure”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2014

Staff are always helpful, kind, courteous and accomodating, I"ve never had a problem with this hotel in the 5 years I've been staying here. Two blocks from the subway and bus, rooms were clean, quiet and staff always pleasant.

Room Tip: looking for nice, clean bed, hot shower near all the actions, for the price and free parking, you wo...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (213)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
boston, ma
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2014

Stayed here for my birthday weekend. I wanted a weekend full of theater and museums. The location is unbeatable. We drove down so my first worry was parking the car in NYC. What a great deal when the parking is free w/ in and out privileges. The hotel is right off the route 9A. We were able to go out at night with ease. Check in was quick and the receptionist guy was extremely pleasant! I chose the room w/ double beds because I like a more spacious room. I did get the room directly in front of 42nd st. We were on the floor w/ the ice and water machine. Police and a nightclub are in the front. But hey we didn't go to nyc the city that never sleeps to sleep! The room was impeccable! It has a microwave and fridge! The beds were ok for a few hours sleep. We didn't even turn on the heater because the room remained so warm! Room comes with a flat screen tv and a good selection of channels. For being a "smoking" hotel it smelled great! I am a non smoker and never once would i have imagined this being a smoking hotel! Staff was extremely helpful, polite and courteous. This was definitely service with a smile! Checkout was made just as easy less than a minute! I will definitely return again! Thank you Travel Inn for making my birthday weekend a weekend to remember!

Room Tip: Get a room located in the rear of the building.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Skaneateles, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2014

Easy to find! Come out of Lincoln Tunnel, drive a couple of blocks, hang a left and you are there. Easy! We paid $105/night including inside, on site, come and go as you please, heated parking garage! The hotel was extremely clean and you could see that some rooms were having work done. It is an older property with tiny bathrooms (think cruiseship small), the room was decent size and had everything you needed except a coffee pot. Front desk staff were not very warm and welcoming, but we gathered that from reading other reviews. They were fine and efficient. We did not require much from them after check in. Parking garage guys were great. My biggest complaint was the ancient, noisy heater. We kept it running while we were away and turned it off when we went to bed. Temp was fine in there.

The neighborhood is fine.It is a neighborhood, not a tourist area. Great restaurants and neighborhood bars close by, and it is just a couple of blocks from the Javits Center.

For the money, this is, hands down, the best deal I have ever found in NYC!

Room Tip: We were on the 43rd St. side. The Amtrak goes right under the hotel. It was a little noisy once in...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Connecticut
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2014

This hotel is deservedly busy: it is a great deal, with many terrific features. The location is perfect for easy driving access. The price (very reasonable) includes parking. Right on 42nd St., Travel Inn is well situated for theater, subway access, Javits Center activities, etc. The rooms are clean and well-maintained, with comfortable beds and amenities including microwave and small fridge. There is no dramatic city skyline view and there is some noise from the street and train, but nothing crazy. The bathroom is very small, but clean and functional. I'd wish for more light in the shower area and a safety mat in the tub. The front desk staff are courteous and efficient, if not paragons of friendliness.

Room Tip: Rooms at the back of the hotel (away from 42nd St.) are somewhat less noisy, but there is still some...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Upstate New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2014

I have stayed at this hotel for decades, before the Hell's Kitchen address became chic. The free parking a real bonus. Just there last week with a friend, love it. Good staff. Negatives - small bathrooms, not built for big or tall people and front rooms noisy. There are other hotels in the Empire Hotel Chain, and I have stayed at most of them. All different, all good.

Room Tip: Ask for inside room. Free parking. Two elevators can be confusing if you are using parking.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
Colonie, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2014

My wife bought tickets to a play down in the city and we consulted TripAdvisor for a reasonable place to stay and one of the choices was Travel Inn. From the pictures and the amenities, it seemed like it couldn't be beat. Free parking is unheard of in Manhattan. We normally stay at the Marriott chain, but decided to try this out figuring it couldn't be too bad because of all the high ratings, plus we didn't plan on staying in the room very much anyway.

Here's a hint I wish I knew: The big gray garage door to the left of the glass lobby is where you park the car. I was hesitant to just pull up to the garage door, but they open it for you. The parking attendants were very good.

The guy at the front desk didn't speak much, but was nice.

The room was an average size for a hotel room, in my experience. Our room overlooked the pool, which wasn't very exciting in February, but would have been very nice in the summer. We had the room with the king sized bed. It also had a pair of couch chairs, a desk, dresser, and flat-screen TV. Internet was $5 a day, but that was fair, in my opinion.

The location isn't right in the middle of the city, but it's only a two block walk to the subway, and a reasonable walk to midtown. We walked Fifth Avenue, Rockefeller Center, Times Square, and Broadway.

Checkout time is noon, but my wife and I didn't plan on leaving the area until around 3pm because we wanted to see the new Freedom Tower and other sights down there. But we had to find parking. When we checked out and went to claim our car, the parking attendant asked if we wanted to leave the car in the garage for a bit. After worrying about paying the huge fees it costs to park in the garages in the city, I took him up on his offer to keep the car there and we went to finish our sightseeing with no worries.

All in all, I'd recommend this hotel to anyone looking for a reasonable place to stay in a city of outrageous prices.

Room Tip: There are two sides - the side that face the pool and the side that faces the NYPD precinct. We had...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Mason, Ohio
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2014

My daughter is a smoker and this was her birthday trip, so after much research I chose Travel Inn. Very few smoking rooms in NYC, but this hotel leaves much to be desired. 3 star room, clean, tiny, decorated in the 60's, must take one elev to 3, walk 200 yds, take another elev to rooms. Wifi chg is $6 per day, which would be a bargain, IF you could get a signal (not). Heater kept the room comfortable the 1st 2 nights, but since it was 53 in NYC on Sat., the heat does not work, we were told on the last night. They did bring us a small, portable heater to ward off the chill. TV has no movies, doesn't get NBC or CBS. Has refrig and microwave, but no coffee pot. Housekeeping staff was friendly and helpful. Add all that to a poor location, a long walk to midtown, and it adds up to a "poor" rating. Next time a no smoking room in a better hotel will have to suffice!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family

Been to Travel Inn Hotel New York? Share your experiences!