“Huge disappointment” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #287 of 464 Hotels in New York City
ireland
“Huge disappointment”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2006

The room was small and smelled. The view was nonexistent. The shower dribbled COLD water.
The minibar was exorbitant. The staff couldn't have cared less.

Easily the worst hotel I have ever stayed in.

• Liked — Leaving it
  • Disliked — Where do I start?
  • Tips/Secrets — Avoid at all costs
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,375)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Deganwy, North Wales
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2006

An amazing hotel - glorious rooms, exquisite restaurants and marvellous service.
The one little niggle is the constant electric shocks from the metal work. Maybe it was my shoes (though rubber soled), but everytime entering a lift or opening a door handle I was treated to a jumping blue electrical current.
But even that didn't spoil the stay. Make sure you buy some robes :-)

Top tip: on flying into La Guardia Airport make sure you either arrange a car, or better yet book a limo! The taxi rank just shove you all into one little cab and trust me, it doesn't hold four comfortably!

• Liked — The foyer
  • Disliked — The electric shocks
  • Tips/Secrets — Don't steal the robes - they'll charge you
  • Stayed February 2006, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Paris
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2006

Even if some works have been done to adapt the hotel to people with wheelchairs, rooms and access to the hotel are not convenient.
I booked the hotel for 10 days to discover New York with my brother who is in a wheelchair and cannot stand up. When I booked the hotel by phone I insisted on the fact that I needed a completely adapted room and a roll in shower.
When we arrived, monday the 7th at midnight we discovered that my brother could not access the main entrance as there are a lot of stairs and no lift. To go to the lobby we had to take two different lifts as one of them was not working. When finally we arrived to the room we discovered that the bathroom was not adapted, a tube instead of a shower and the bars in the walls where not fixed at the well distance. The room was too tiny, my brother could not circulate in the room. I phoned the reception to explain my disagreement but nothing could be done as there were no adapted rooms available and we had to wait until next morning.
Next morning, we went to Hilton New york hotel to see if they had rooms available and fortunaly we found a perfect room completely adapted for my brother. We came back to the Waldorf and explained to the receptionist that we were checking out. The manager came and excuse himself of the situation and offer us to take the suite but at this point we wanted to change the hotel.

• Stayed August 2006, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Essen
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2006

I stayed in the Waldorf Astoria during my holiday trip in 2002. I was expecting a great hotel with superior service etc. The hall and reception was grand and beautiful old fashioned. The rest was terrible!

The service was bad - I asked for the executive floor and I was denied to access the floor. I was Diamond HH-Member at that time!
Also the day to day service was not good - bearish and slow! The room was not nice. The furniture was scratched and partly broken - at the desk my girl friend wrote "dirty"into the dust. We asked them to clean the room nothing happenedAfter six nights we still could read "dirty".

All in all the Waldorf was one of the worst hotels I stayed!

• Stayed September 2006
London, England
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2006

Me and 4 of my friends decided on a trip to NY in luxury. We flew in, caught a limo and went straight to our hotel - The Waldorf Astoria. On entering, we entered the grand lobby which is very nice. Given our room keys. On arrival into our rooms we were very disappointed. The decor was old, plaster was coming off the ceiling, there was quite a lot of damp, there was a funny smell, the bathroom was dirty and to top it all off the shower was but a trickle of tepid water. We went straight to reception, being a Hilton Gold Card holder, there are certain privileges you get including complimentary room upgrades at any Hilton hotel (Waldorf Astoria is part of Hilton). After making my disappointment clear, we were quickly upgraded to a one bedroom suite. When we saw this, we were still not impressed. Yes a bigger room with a nicer view but still the same decor problems and the same bathroom problems! Unfortunately for us, President Bush was staying in the same hotel at that time for the 9/11 memorial and so him and his entourage had completely booked all the "good" rooms and suites. We tried even to change hotels but it was too late to find anything decent. All in all, I was so put off. I am going to make sure I check Trip Advisor from now on!! And I'm writing a letter of complaint to The Waldorf Astoria.

• Liked — Leaving
  • Disliked — The shower
  • Tips/Secrets — Do not go to the Waldorf Astoria - you'll be sorely disappointed
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Liverpool, England
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2006

We stayed here to end our recent holiday to NYC and Cruise to Bermuda. Before the cruise we stayed in a small hotel called the Blakely on West 55th and it comparison to the Waldorf it was fantastic!!!
The Waldorf was supposed to be the perfect end to a perfect holiday - it couldn't have been further!!! We booked the room 6 months ago and when we got there we asked for an upgrade if they had any available, which they did. When we arrived in our room we were a little concerned as to what our non-upgraded room may have looked like. This was one of the smallest rooms I have ever stayed in and our view was of the aircon units servicing the building.
As they had no other rooms to offer we decided to make the most of it and went out for dinner. When we went to bed I woke an hour later to the aircon generators stopping and starting on rotation like they were in he room which us. Then on top of that our room was close to elevators which ping twice when someone gets of on your floor - I swear every person in NYC was staying on our floor - that lift pinged twice on and off consistently between 1.30 and 3.30. When we finally went back to sleep we were woken at 6am by a constant creaking sould, when we went to investigate we saw that our room was directly opposite the service lifts which are shielded by a swinging door that has never in it's life been introduced to WD40!!!! This then continued for the rest of the morning until we gave up trying to sleep and got up.
We complained, but as we had booked thru an agent they could refund the room rate, which I will now never do again as you have no come back. So we are trying to get a free stay in another Hilton Group hotel closer to home. But as the previous poster said, it would surprise me if we ever heard back.
If you are looking for somewhere special to stay DO NOT STAY in the Waldorf Astoria - it is completely rubbish and the most expensive worst nights sleep I have ever had!!!!!!

• Liked — Checking out!!!
  • Disliked — Being kept awake all night long.
  • Tips/Secrets — Don't book the Waldorf!!
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Bristol, UK
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2006

I read a mixed bag of reviews on the Waldorf but as it is an iconic hotel and somewhere i have always wanted to stay i thought i would give it a go. We stayed for four nights and booked two rooms directly with the hotel as that was the cheapest option.

On the day of travel one of my companions was unable to travel due to illness, which was ok as we were able to get our money back from the insurance companey, However we had a non refundable booking as such i asked the hotel if we could have an upgrade as we only needed the one room. i was told the Hotel was already "over comitted" and it was impossible...later to find out in the bar from a couple who had complained that there room had been changed 3 times before they had one they were satisfied with on that day. There were several things that ruined the break, the room not being made up twice! having been out for a full 10 hours sight seeing, trying to charge us $40 for some tea bags that should have been in the mini bar and the lack of newspaper on two mornings...minor things that i wouldn't worry about normally but together it was very annoying as was the apathy displayed by the hotel. On departure i highlighted all of these things to the management and was offered 2 nights free accomadation if i go back, which is ok but it means them getting more of my money. At the rates charged you can get better value the rooms are dated and i didn't feel the hotel was that clean, there was a table outside the restraunt covered in dust!

On the plus side the breakfast was excellent...extremly good and the Porterhouse steak in the restraunt/pub type bar was also to die for. Food 10/10 the rest 2/10

• Liked — Food...Brilliant
  • Disliked — Trading on name without providing the goods!
  • Tips/Secrets — Try somewhere else and just visit for a meal
  • Stayed April 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Waldorf Astoria New York? Share your experiences!