“Betwixt and between” 4 of 5 stars

$100 Property Credit
Ranked #286 of 464 Hotels in New York City
“Betwixt and between”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed today NEW

Firstly, let me start by stating that this is a five star hotel - hotel is beautifully presented, service is first class, location is great and the hotel has a wonderful ambience. Rooms are functional, bathroom Art Deco cool, bed is really comfortable, but the desk and chair are not the most comfortable especially if you want to get stuck into work. The spa is brilliant and modern. If you want Art Deco and history this is for you. If you are however looking for a room with all the latest mod cons, then this is not the hotel for you.

Stayed May 2015, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,375)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

I travel frequently to NYC for business. The location and service of the Waldorf are always top-notch. It can be busy during large conferences and UN events, which increase rates (throughout NYC). Upcoming rennovations will improve the rooms, some of which have furniture that is a bit dated.

• Stayed April 2015, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with Waldorf Astoria

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

I never ever write trip advisor reviews but with the stay we had, we had to. My husband and myself went to new york to celebrate our first wedding anniversary and my husbands birthday. My husband has been to New York many times and usually stays at The Peninsula. This time he thought it would be nice to do old school New York. We had such a lovely time at the Wordolf Astoria Rome Cavalieri, that we knew that we would have a wonderful stay.

We arrived on 8th april 2015. We arrived in the lobby and my first impressions was Wow! Unfortunately our suite was not ready so we had a cocktail in peacock alley. The peacock cocktail was amazing. We were there for a couple of hours but we kept getting $20 drinks vouchers. At reception We delt with a great Roman chap called Giovanni, he made sure the drinks vouchers were coming and extremely apologetic for the delay with our room. We delt with him throughout our stay. He booked restaurants etc for us. No I is a must! In Peacock Alley, we got speaking to Lisa Venneker, food & Beverage manager. Words can not describe how lovely and attentive she was. She is definitely an assist to the Waldorf. After me moaning ( like us women tend to do at times) I was tired with travelling all day, I just wanted to get up to our room and freshen up. They gave a $70 room credit for the delay. Finally we got to our suite. I would definitely recommend spending more for a better room. Our room consisted of a livingroom, bedroom, dressing room, huge bathroom and walk in wardrobe. The rooms were slightly tiered, and could do with a little updating, but does no way take away from the charm. That night we just wanted to grab food near by, the staff recommend Mr Chows a block away. Would definitely recommend it. With art deco interior, and lovely waiting staff.

The hotel was a great location, to many of the must see attractions ( rockafella center, Times Square, 5th avenue) We were about a 15 minute walking distance to Central Park, grand central station was 5 minute walk away etc. We walked everywhere! China town, soho and little Italy were rather far, we got told to take the subway, but took us around 1hour to walk. There is so much to see and take in that it did not bother us.

What I must recommend is the famous Sunday brunch at the Waldorf. They turn the lobby area into a fantastic, beautifully presented buffet, was rather expensive at $98 a head plus gratitude and Tax. For that you got everything! Lobster, cavier, salmon, beef Wellington and the most amazing deserts. This includes champagne, and other beverages. A little tip, book for 12pm or after as they can not serve alcohol before 12pm. We booked for 10am as we had a helicopter tour booked for 12.30pm and we really were looking forward to a glass of fizz to toast our anniversary. Lovely Lisa came out with a dessert with happy anniversary on it, with a box of cupcakes for us to take on the helicopter. We thought that was a lovely touch.

I would highly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Corner suite
  • Stayed April 2015, traveled as a couple
Niskayuna, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

We love NYC and the Waldorf is a truly great hotel. It makes you feel good. The lobby is beautiful and the rooms are special. Outside is the beautiful upper east side and central park is a short walk from the hotel. There are great spots to eat within a short walk.

• Stayed May 2015, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Waldorf Astoria

Lancashire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

It's a while ago: I think it was 2002 when we stayed there, but I'm annoyed that Trip Advisor thinks I've only visited 1% of the World.

We had a family skiing holiday up in New Hampshire ("Live Free or Die" - what a splendid sentiment.) and spent a few days in New York before flying home. I was seriously impressed with the city. It was like London, only bigger, much more clean, reasonably priced and full of friendly people. Actually, on reflexion, it was nothing like London.

We had two adjoining suites of rooms - which sounds very extravagant, but it really wasn't - my wife and I had one and the children shared the other. I ate a Waldorf salad in the Waldorf and I drank my first Manhattan in Manhattan.

The hotel is, as you might expect, comfortable and is very handy for visiting the rest of New York. The American Museum of Natural History is just around the corner and I could have spent a month in there, if only we'd had the time.

It *is* about 13 years since I was there, so things may well have changed, but my recollection is of a spacious haven of calm in a big foreign city. I was very pleasantly surprised at the cost of our stay: but again, it may not be so cheap now, so you should probably be guided on this by more recent reviews.

Would I go again? Absolutely. Just as soon as I can stop paying school fees and have a disposable income once more.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Hertfordshire, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

We stayed here for three nights. Great central location for sightseeing.
The taxi dropped us in the garage, our bags were taken and we were waved through the doors into the hotel. We had no idea where we were, it took a few minutes for us to realise that we were on a lower floor and the lobby was upstairs.
Check in was slick, but what a disappointment when we got to our room. It was tiny. Room only for one bedside table, nowhere to put our cases. The bathroom was miniscule. There was a tiny shelf, which wasn't big enough to place a tube of toothpaste and two toothbrushes. When we learnt that wifi was $18+ per night.........Come on Hilton, we'd just left a Hilton hotel in London and another in Michigan, where it was free. Why the charge? Anyway, when it took 10 minutes to get some lukewarm water from the shower. There was no tea/coffee making facilities. I decided it was time to complain.

The girl at reception was brilliant. I was handed two $20 drinks vouchers, assured the wifi would be complimentary and we were moved to another much larger room with a bathroom big enough to store a few toiletries. The bed was comfortable, still no tea and coffee making facilities, however we were sent some up when we asked. Fab shower, although it leaked.
Disappointing view over an office block. The room was dark.

Loved the piano bar. Great cocktails. Beautiful music played on Cole Porter's original piano. Wow!

Areas for improvement:
Wallpaper peeling in the corners.
Nowhere in the bathroom to hang wet towels, except on a hook behind the door, where the towels fell off every time the door opened, or over the shower door where they didn't dry.
Yellow stains on the white tiles around the toilet. Quality!
Why do chambermaids insist on doing that weird folding, pointy thing with tissues and toilet rolls and yet don't replenish the cotton wool? Lack of attention to detail.
Wifi was charged to our bill. Yes, we did notice. It was removed when we indicated it should have been complimentary.
Teacups were left unwashed.
We left a tray of tea outside our door one evening. It was left for almost 36 hours before it was collected. Some kind people even added their own rubbish to it. Not what I expect if a 5* hotel.
The luggage store was behind two really heavy doors which were difficult to negotiate with a suitcase. Thankfully guests helped each other. Why not have automatic doors?

Would I return? Only if I had a decent room with a nicer view. Maybe.

• Stayed April 2015, traveled as a couple
Bakewell, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

This was the ultimate for us. My friend and I in NYC to celebrate joint 60th birthdays.
The staff at the Waldorf were wonderful. The bar staff at Sir Harry's remembered our drinks and looked after us every evening. We could not have had better treatment anywhere in the world, and we can not wait to go back. The hotel is iconic and in some places is in need of work, but we gave it 10 out of 10, loved it.

Room Tip: Ask for a higher floor room and get a kettle delivered asap. Reception sent us one in 10 mins...
  • Stayed March 2015, traveled with friends

Been to Waldorf Astoria New York? Share your experiences!