“Family vacation” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #286 of 463 Hotels in New York City
Cowiche, Washington
“Family vacation”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2014

Came to NYC for a nice 10 day escape. Spent half our time at the iconic waldorf Astoria. The entryways and lobby are just amazing. Just the history and ambience are worth the stay. The rooms are average but understandable for the age. All in all I really enjoyed it.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Siobhan D, Assistant Director of Rooms at Waldorf Astoria New York, responded to this review, June 19, 2014
Dear Cameron M,

Thank you kindly for taking the opportunity to let us know how your recent stay at the Waldorf Astoria went. It is a high honor to be the host of individuals and families alike, and we are very pleased to hear that you enjoyed your visit to our historic hotel. We hope that you will stay with us again during your next visit to New York City and look forward to the opportunity to have you and your family in-house again.

Assistant Director of Rooms

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,358)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
London
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2014

I stayed at the Waldorf Astoria for 2 nights on a recent business trip. Being from London, the Waldorf reminds me of the Savoy before it was refurbished. Some positives - the midtown location is excellent. All the common areas in the Waldorf are grandiose and luxurious and everything you would expect from the name and reputation. The lobby is beautiful (though extremely crowded), the staff on the check in desks and doormen were welcoming and courteous. Once you get into the lift to head up to your room, that is where the positives end. The lifts are small, old and dark, and at least one was not in use multiple times during our 2 day stay. The room is again, very old, it had a musty smell, no tea or coffee making facilities, the wallpaper is peeling off in the corners, a couple of fixtures (I think from the air conditioning unit) had fallen off and were left on the floor next to the bed, the shower head looked like it had been taped to the rest of the shower, the water didn't drain down the sink due to what I can only assume is years worth of hair - I could go on and on. Wifi is not provided for free, we only received it because it is part of our corporate rate. What topped it all off, when I was checking out, I asked the checkout desk whether someone could collect my bags to take to store for the rest of the day. I was directed to the bell captain, who directed me to the lift or stairs to the lower ground floor, round a few corners and down a few corridors, where the storage area was. The same thing happened to 2 of my other colleagues. This is a small thing and I'm not lazy by nature, but for the price they charge, and given that it is standard practice in most other hotels, I would've expected someone to collect our bags for us.

The Waldorf Astoria is a big name, a huge reputation, highly rated and has a serious price tag to boot; but it failed to live up to any of that. This hotel needs a Savoy-like refurbishment, asap. We stayed at le Parker Meridien immediately after the Waldorf, which I think is a 4 star and definitely less expensive. There was no comparison - le Parker Meridien was light years ahead. If you're prepared to part with the money to stay at the Waldorf, I personally think it would be better spent elsewhere.

Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Dear RanjiJ,

Thank you for submitting your recent experience at our classic property. Your feedback is truly important to us because it helps us to realize both our strengths and weaknesses from our guests' point of view. I apologize that we did not exceed your expectations throughout your stay. We strive to provide the quality experience you expect from our brand and regret this was not your experience. We will keep your concerns in mind as we continually evolve to best meet and exceed our guests' needs and hope you will give us another opportunity to impress should you return to the city in the future.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2014

I am currently staying in this lovely hotel. The hotel obviously has a great past but unfortunately the rooms need major renovation as the furniture and bathrooms are quite old. The breakfast is not diversified but nevertheless delicious. Room service is excellent. Staff in general are helpful but without a smile. Service is slow but is understandable due to hotel size. Location is quite close to almost all important attractions.

Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Ashraf E,

Thank you kindly for taking the time to give us some comments regarding your recent stay at the Waldorf Astoria. It is very important for us to give our loyal guests the luxury experience they expect and deserve when they stay here, so please do not hesitate to reach out with any specific requests we can take care of while you are on the property to make your stay even more special. We look forward to speaking with you!

Auckland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2014 via mobile

I stayed at the astoria with my husband and two teenage daughters for 13 nights over Christmas and new years...it was a bucket list dream and this hotel helped this dream come true. If u want perfect along with modern then don't bother but if u can appreciate this grand old lady with all the history she holds in the perfect location then book now. The rooms are not perfect as she's showing her age but when the toilet started to overflow we had a plumber and 4 room attendants there in minutes. The beds are extremely comfortable and the girls used the free wifi in the lobby. Again...location location and a touch of class

• Stayed December 2013
Dear flying hi_auckland,

Thank you so much for taking the time to let us know how your recent stay at the Waldorf Astoria went. We are so pleased that you enjoyed your visit and hope that you will consider booking with us again for your next visit to New York City. We look forward to the opportunity to host you again!

St Andrews
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2014

My husband and I stayed at the Waldorf Astoria for 5 nights. It was our fifth stay there in the last 8-10 years. It will be our last. On arrival we were told that we had been given an upgraded room. Wonderful we thought. Actually no! There was a constant noise in the room that sounded like a motor running but due to being exhausted from travelling we just went to bed. We complained the next day and after a visit to reception and three phone calls the person I spoke to finally agreed that we would be moved the next day. So a second night in a noisy room. The next morning we packed up as instructed and went to reception, we were told our new room would be ready at 3pm. I said that was not acceptable and was told we could keep the old room until the new one was ready. After stating that was not acceptable, we were offered another room which was very nice. The point is, I believe the staff knew that there was a problem with the first room, the service guy who came to check it out said he heard the noise as he walked down the corridor. The person I spoke to at reception asked me to explain the nature of the noise! I asked him to put the phone down and come to the room and hear it for himself. I have booked another stay in the hotel for October, when I am visiting New York with a friend. I have decided to cancel the booking and stay at the Lexington Hotel. I also thought $10 for a warm and watery beer in the Bull & Bear was beyond the pale.

Room Tip: If you book through a third party eg one of the discount rooms websites it is advisable to ask to se...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Siobhan D, Assistant Director of Rooms at Waldorf Astoria New York, responded to this review, June 18, 2014
Dear SandraSStAndrews,

Thank you kindly for taking the opportunity to give us some feedback regarding your recent stay at the Waldorf Astoria. We are sorry to hear that you did not have an entirely pleasurable experience and hope that we can have the opportunity to be your host again one day. Comments like yours go a long way in helping us understand areas of improvement, so thank you again.

Austin, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2014

.... Mission accomplished. This grand old hotel feels like it has presence and a sense of history. My room was large, had 2 closets and large bathroom,four large picture windows throughout. Room service dinner was delicious and fast.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Dear ERG0716,

Thank you so much for taking the time to let us know how your recent stay at the Waldorf Astoria went. It is a high honor to host guests such as yourself during a special trip to New York City. We hope that you will consider booking with us again in the future when you return to our beautiful area and look forward to the opportunity of hosting you again.

Helsinki, Finland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2014

Stayed 4 nights in this hotel together with my brother. Positive things were:
- big rooms
- no noise at all
- room temperature was perfect
- iconic milieu
- possibility to check out without standing on the line

But for a 4 star hotel in this price category one would have expected
- free wifi in the rooms
- adapters for customers to lend (told they had some, but they were all taken so I had to buy one for myself)
- something special that would have made us feel welcome. Service was really average.

Location of the hotel is ok, but next time I would choose a place near Madison Square Garden where there is a direct train to the airport and better shopping possibilities.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Dear Heli74,

Thank you for your review. We are always looking for ways to solicit feedback from our valued guests, and TripAdvisor is one of the ways we can learn more about how we satisfy our guests as well as potential areas for improvement. We hope that you will consider booking with us again during your next visit to New York City so that we can provide you with our true Waldorf service and standard of luxury. If you do choose to book with us again in the near future, please do not hesitate to reach out should you have any special requests that could make your next stay even more special.

Assistant Director of Rooms

Been to Waldorf Astoria New York? Share your experiences!