“Classic elegance!” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #283 of 454 Hotels in New York City
Amarillo, Texas
“Classic elegance!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2014

Arrived to a very elegant hotel room. I enjoyed the understated, old world elegance of the room decor. The staff could not have been more courteous and professional. Stepping into the lobby you feel aw if you are walking into a piece of American history. My one complaint was the room temperature. It was hot and muggy. The first night we were able to get the temperature down to a tolerable level. However the second night the room would not cool down. I called the front desk and was told that the a/c system for the hotel was off due to it being 51 degrees Fahrenheit outside. They sent someone up who opened the window which cooled the room down. While this worked, I definitely do not expect to have this problem in a hotel of this caliber that charges the prices they do. That being said, it was an enjoyable experience.

Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,217)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
zagreb
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2014

It was our first trip to New York and we decided to stay in something we imagined to be a real old new york. And it was a great decision. The stay for sure is something to remember. The room in the old part are not really luxurious, but everything apart from that is really great. After all, we did not really spend much time in our room...we did not come to NY to sleep. However, the service is fantastic, ammenities great and location superb.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2014

This was our first time at the waldorf having stayed at numerous other top hotels in the city.
We treated ourselves to a one bedroom suite. It was a great size but everything else was really old and tatty. Paint was coming off the woodwork, the blinds didn't work and the bath tap fell off in our hands. The staff weren't very helpful and the room wasn't particularly clean. To top of the stay I'm pretty sure I got bitten by bed bugs!

Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Siobhan D, Assistant Director of Rooms at Waldorf Astoria New York, responded to this review, July 7, 2014
Dear eacus100,

Thank you for reaching out to us via TripAdvisor. Please know that we take our customer service very seriously, as well as all issues of pest control. Apologies for the late response, but we wanted to be sure that we followed up with you regarding this issue to do all we can to get you back here in the future and show you our true commitment to service and the luxury experience you expect and deserve from the Waldorf Astoria. We will be in touch shortly.

Siobhan Delaney
Bradenton, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2014

The lobby is still impressive, after over eighty years. Although the hotel is due for a renovation, it is a beautiful home base for a midtown vacation. The Waldorf is not unlike an aging movie star: still lovely, but definitely showing her age. Is the hotel perfect, like a new hotel? Of course not. But if you want to stay in a piece of history for 1/3 the price of the equally historic St. Regis, ($25.00 Bloody Marys? No thank you.) then the Waldorf is for you.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Craigavon, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2014

Having read the reviews, I had contacted the hotel to ensure we could get things right for our stay a long time in advance. I am a registered tour guide in Ireland. I was prepared for the age of the building etc as have stayed in similar often and they have been a pleasure.
This was a pretty dire experience for 5 days. The queues to check in everyday are dreadful, we stood for almost an hour from door up on a Friday, and I am disabled. a number of elderly clients where the same and no help is available. I had solutions to this from previous experience and offered management this whilst there by email, but this was NOT responded to then or since. They have your money then and so no longer interested. Let the BUYER BEWARE
We queued again for the rooms when ready and encountered the most unpleasant Asian lady, who tried to take another customer instead of us, as we didn't look executive enough. I hate being prejudged, and don't get this treatment in Marriott or other group hotels. Incidentally having asked for one of the rooms with a view, I did get one, not the one i asked for, but of the corner of Marriott, not quite what I had in mind but probably a good recommendation for the future.
My room on the 7th floor was small but the beds were very comfortable and certainly not the deluxe room promised, By this stage having travelled from europe i really was not in the mood to argue. However I think its unacceptable these days not to have tea coffee making facilities, I could have used one then. The neighbouring hotels I visited did have these facilities, as being a tour guide I did some research.
The wifi at min $20 per day is scandalous, paid for only one day as it was intermittent at best, so didn't bother after that. This should be included for all residents at this rate. Next time will have my own mobile wifi with me. Its free for some hh card holders but this was a prize win, so mine wasn't recognised on the system, no doubt explaining some of the substandard service some are treated to compared to others.
Having spent time with a fellow tour guide, comparing hotels, its clear this one is falling below par regardless of the ongoing maintenance. The management are obviously in an arrogant frame of mind given their lack of interest in listening to customers suggestions. Its the first hotel I have experienced where clients aren't asked for their feedback, and it shows.
The décor of the main hotel is charming despite its faded nature. I would like to see it restored properly. the lobby is beautiful if you could actually see it over the queues. I feel sorry for the shoe shine man, stuck in a cupboard sized space beside the ladies toilets, without space or light. Really bad situation that should be remedied for his long term health. The portering staff were very good especially the left luggage guy, who was the only person to offer us any further help he could. No other extra mile anywhere else in the Astoria.
The final insult was the billing, it arrived in the early hours pre check out. Luckily I was still up and noted had been charged for using the bar I hadn't even stepped into. I went down and was given third degree and not believed initially, and quizzed why hadn't used it. After some half hour myself and my daughter were despatched back to our room saying it would be removed from bill. I still wasn't sure until the next day. However sitting for half and hour when they tried to find the transaction they are at fault for isn't really acceptable. we weren't even offered a drink whilst they fixed their error.
On the plus side the gift shop, which I only called in quickly was good value compared to most. Pity I forgot to revisit before I left. These things are all quite out of sight. The lady on the theatre/day trips desk was helpful and efficient, though clearly easily annoyed waiting on people deciding if some of the costs were acceptable to customers. She did quickly organise our helicopter trip and her directions were excellent. The doorman was also excellent ensuring our airport connection did stop for us as we had been left off at another entrance.
All in all, as it stands, my next visit to NY wont be to the Waldorf Astoria. Shame to say I will go where I do get the full bang for my buck.

Room Tip: Higher up rooms quieter but hard to get. Dont be surprised if you don't get what you ask for roo...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Thank you for your comments. I am so sorry we failed to meet your expectations. Rest assured I take your comments very seriously and will see to it that your concerns are addressed. Please know that this is not the norm, as it seems we dropped the ball somewhere. Again, thank you for your comments as I use them as a tool to better improve our hotel.

Siobhan Delaney
Red Deer, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2014

What a magical stay from beginning to end.
My friend and i stayed here over the weekend from April 25-27 for a shopping trip.
We arrived way ahead of check in time, so we did not get into our room right away, but our bags were taken off our hands the moment we exited the taxi. (btw, the taxi from La Guardia to WA is about 50 bucks with tip included).
We freshened up in the lobby bathroom (which is spectacular btw), and headed off to Central Park. It took us about 10 minutes to get there.
When we checked in to our Luxury room, we were blown away. We had the 6th floor, which wasn't what I had hoped for, but the room was fantastic. The beds were comfortable, the pillows were like little angel wings. We did not have a living room , which let's face it no one really needs, but we had a beautiful dressing room with a 360 mirror. The bathroom was gorgeous, and the shower felt like a warm hug. We did not have issues with water temperature like I read in other reviews.
The only thing I have to say is that there was not a fan in the bathroom.

the windows were not insulated, but if you ask me, I enjoyed hearing the sounds of New York, so it did not bother me at all..it added tot he NYC experience

Location is fantastic. We were about a 7 minute walk to 57th street and 5th ave (shopping like chanel, LV, Tiffany&co, prada) which is where we started in the morning. About a 5 minute walk to the Rockerfeller centre. We took a cab to Times square in the evening for about 7 bucks before tip. about 20 minutes walking time (yes, we had to run to our show) to Broadway Theatre.

The concierge service was impecable. Both nights, the personal was friendly and had fantastic recommendations. All the dinner reservations were made for us. Front desk seemed a bit busy , a few more people at the desk would have been helpful at check in, but express check out service is available so check out was a breeze.

There is not coffee maker in this room, but I don't really care about that. I don't make my own coffee.

We had finner at the Bull&Bear. We were not overly impressed at the service. We made a reservation, but upon arrival, we stood at the entrance without anyone coming to us, although many servers have noticed us. We were not even granted a smile our way. My friend and I both look very young, and maybe that has something to do with that...of course, can't go a weekend without being prejudged. Our server was not impressed with us until we ordered a glass of wine each. We weren't planning on it, as we had to go to a show right after, but felt like we should order some alcohol to receive better service....which worked. You are looking at spending about 50-60 dollars on a steak, plus a side dish (the scalloped potatoes were amazing)...and about 25ish on a glass of wine. Sorry, can't be more helpful with this, we were in a hurry, so ordered quickly, and did not look over the menu too much.

Both nights we had drinks at the Peacock Lounge. I found it a very relaxing and warm. We ordered Blueberry Teas, which for some reason are not known outside of Canada..haha. The bartender managed to make us the best ones we have ever had yet. And on the second night he made it even better, it was obvious he had out thought into this. Thanks, Thomas!

I have stayed in many hotels, average hotels to top hotels around the world throughout the last few years, and I must say...if you are used to the modern comfort of the W, you might not like this place. However, if you are like me, and enjoy the historical value of places like the Fairmont, you will be blown away.

This was a first trip to NYC for both my friend and I, and it was the best trip we had ever gone on. Waldorf Astoria was a huge park in making our time in New York an experience I will think of when I am old and dying. Thank you. I can't wait to come back

Room Tip: definitely luxury and towers
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
Leeds, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2014

I stayed at The Waldorf for a week to celebrate my birthday. It was absolutely awesome. When I walked in I got the wow factor immediately. The ambience and decor was amazing. The staff were efficient, friendly and nothing was too much trouble. The restaurants were fantastic and catered for all tastes. My room was huge and well appointed and the view of Park Avenue from my window was jaw dropping. Checking in and out was quick and painless. I made some good friends while I was there and I came home with my head and my heart full of wonderful memories. I will be going back next year. Very highly recommended.

Room Tip: Try the King Superior.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled solo

Been to Waldorf Astoria New York? Share your experiences!