“upcoming visit” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #287 of 463 Hotels in New York City
Houston, Texas
“upcoming visit”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013

visiting NYC and staying at the waldorf. extremely excited to stay here! had dinner and drinks here many times but never had the pleasure of staying.stayed in several of the high end times square hotels and eager to see how my experience here compares. heard nothing but positive things about the waldorf. first visit to NYC for some in our group and can't wait for them to experience the waldorf! will post back with a review after our stay.

Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,371)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Orange, CA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

I just returned from a weekend stay at the Waldorf Astoria. As I’m sure others have done, I stayed here just to say I have. Immediately upon entering the lobby I wished I made reservations elsewhere. If you’re familiar with Napoleon’s apartment at the Louvre museum in Paris, that’s what this hotel looks like, but a million times rundown. We took the surprisingly fast elevators up to our floor. Once in the room, I was honestly surprised how big the room was. I was expecting a double twin and cramped room, similar to the Drake in Chicago. The room had two queen-sized beds. One of them was sinking at the foot. The closet and bathroom were kind of small, but for a weekend, it wasn’t bad. I called the valet for some dry cleaning I needed for dinner and theater the following night, they said someone would be right up; 45 minutes later, no one showed, so I took it down to the front desk. I later discovered the bathroom sink had either dried blood or vomit running down the side; totally disgusting. I used Hilton points for the stay. As I previously mentioned, I wished I stayed somewhere else. If wanting to use or earn Hilton points, there are a number of Hilton properties that rank within the top 100 of all NYC hotels. I highly suggest staying somewhere else. If you have to stay here, at least it’s a central location to the city’s sights and businesses and the breakfast at Oscar’s was good. When I woke up on my last day, I saw the bill under the door. We were charged for internet (which was not reliable), but as Hilton Honors members, the charged was removed. To top it off, when I got out of the shower before leaving, I discovered numerous bedbug bites on one of my legs. At the time, I didn’t realize that’s what was on my leg until one of my friends said something (I was wearing shorts) as we were waiting for our car to the airport. I did not report this, but after some internet searching, I see it’s a problem at this hotel, so beware. Again, I’d suggest staying someplace else. The next time I’m in NYC, I will not be staying here. If you’re paying to stay here, there are so many other, more modern and cleaner hotels at comparable rates. Do your research. Lousy

Room Tip: check for bedbugs
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Waldorf_Astoria_NY, Manager at Waldorf Astoria New York, responded to this review, August 28, 2013
Good Afternoon 312newswannabe,

Thank you so very much for your feedback. We are terribly sorry to hear that you were dissatisfied with your stay. We strive to provide every guest with an unforgettable experience, and we are terribly sorry that we were unable to do this for you. We are very concerned about your report of bug bites. We would really like to discuss this further with you. If you have a moment, please email me with your confirmation number and your TripAdvisor username.

Diarmuid Dwyer
diarmuid.dwyer@waldorfastoria.com
Hotel Manager
Orlando, Florida, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

We were so impressed when we came through the lobby. The staff was extraordinarily polite and every detail of the interior was exquisite and immaculately clean. We noticed the first chinks in the armor when we got off the elevator on the 9th floor to head toward our room. The hallway smelled damp and musty and the wall paper was beginning to peel from the wall in long lines down from the ceiling. The room didn't smell as bad but the decor was faded from decades of use. The chair would have been perfectly at home on the end of someones driveway with a "Free" sign on it. From there the experience just kept on giving. The water in the shower fluctuated temperature by as much as twenty degrees. Normally I would attribute this to a water pressure issue and toilet flushes but the shower was likely to turn freezing as it was scalding. More likely there are problems with the boilers. The internet which we got for free, since we are Hilton Gold Members, and normally costs $20.00 was so slow that the pages I was viewing on the internet had pictures that were coming in one line at a time like when we had a 2,400 dial up modem (Maybe it was supposed to make me feel nostalgic, but mostly it just really annoyed me.) Lots more went on but you get the idea. There are far better hotels to spend money on in this beautiful city.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Good Afternoon Hunder H,

Thank you so very much for your feedback. We are extremely disappointed to hear that you were dissatisfied with your stay. We thank you for taking the time to write a detailed review. Because the majority of your issues took place in your individual guestroom, we would really like to learn more about your stay and determine which guestroom you were in. The issues you encountered, for example the wallpaper and the water temperature, are things we can and will work on fixing. If you have a moment, please email me with the confirmation number from your stay, as well as your TripAdvisor username.

Diarmuid Dwyer
diarmuid.dwyer@waldorfastoria.com
Hotel Manager
Smithtown, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013 via mobile

From the moment we arrived we were impressed by over the top, old world elegance. The lobby is stunning and expansive. We stayed in a suite and were treated like royalty from the moment of arrival. We noticed all of the special touches the hotel possesses from floor to ceiling and chandeliers. Our suite was appointed with all the luxuries you dream of, and our special floor had a lounge with white glove dining area included. I am a bit spoiled when it comes to travel, the suite and service far surpassed my expectations.
It was a great experience, many famous people have stayed there, I know why!

• Stayed February 2013
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

The location is perfect for sightseeing, within easy walking distance of Times Square, Grand Central Terminal, the Empire State, Chrysler Building and the Rockefeller Center. The room we had (508 on the 5th floor) for my husband myself and two teenage sons was adequate and clean, it looked out on Park Avenue, this room was surprisingly quiet, (I had previously read reviews that suggested lower floors might be noisy) Room service was 24/7 quick and the food good. Would definitely stay here next time.

Room Tip: All I can tell you is that room 508 was fine, clean & quiet.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Brooklyn, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

A magical experience at NYC's most famed hotel. Dripping in luxury and class this hotel will make your stay a delight. Free upgrade upon my arrival and they gave us free drinks at their lounge. They really make you feel like are of noble blood. My only hiccup was the wait time to check in- took about 15 minutes to see the front desk

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Waldorf Astoria

Auckland Region, New Zealand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2013

My wife and I stayed here for 5 nights at the start of July and were very happy. Being first timers to the Big Apple we found this to be a fantastic location, within easy walk of Times Square and all the other places of interest. We found the staff to be approachable and nothing was a problem. We liked our room and had no problems at all.

Would stay here again next time and recommend to anyone else, especially first timers to the big smoke.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Waldorf Astoria New York? Share your experiences!