“Sets the Standard” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The St. Regis New York

You added The St. Regis New York to your Saves list
The St. Regis New York
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2 East 55th Street, at Fifth Avenue, New York City, NY 10022 (Manhattan)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Book Early and Save
Ranked #45 of 459 Hotels in New York City
Oregon
“Sets the Standard”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2009

I've stayed in six St. Regis hotels....US and Asia...and the New York original definitely sets the standard. You've read the other reviews...outstanding service, rooms, location, etc. What always surprises me is the easy friendliness of the staff. I always expect a New York City arrogant condescension. (Perhaps I anticipate a visit to Rosings and treatment from Lady Catherine de Burgh.) Just the opposite. The staff makes the hotel feel like home...relaxing instead of stiff. Just wish I could afford to stay there more often. Quite an amazing place. (Now, if some of the other St. Regis hotels would just start living up to this standard!)

Oh, yes. Don't miss ordering a room service breakfast. That's how it should be done!

• Stayed March 2009, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (135)
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2009

Stayed 4 nights beginning of March during the snow storm and could not possibly be any happier. Service was ridiculously good, starting with the doormen in top hats and tails, all the way through to our butler. I love the small yet gorgeous lobby as its size pretty much discourages other tourists from walking around and hanging out in it as they tend to do at the Plaza or Waldorf.
Somehow, the doormen knew my name when I pulled up at the hotel the first time, must have been the last guest to check-in I guess. Check-in itself is very quick and when I gave the girl my Starwood number, she instantly offered me an upgrade to a suite, even though I probably have 4 Starwood stays over the last 2 years. That was nice.
Was taken to the room by the same girl who was explaining the layout on the ride up to the 18th floor. We were met there by the butler who offered to press 2 garments from each of us gratis and complimentary shoe-shine and coffe/tea.
First class place.
The bathroom products are from the Remede spa downstairs and are probably as good as you can get in a hotel bathroom. I'll admit, I kept one of everything each day.
The bed was insanely comfortable with real down comforters and pillows. All you have to do is ask if you want some nice memory foam pillows as well.
Turndown service includes a fresh bucket of ice, 2 robes, 2 sets of surprisingly comfortable slippers, fresh fruit, curtains pulled, lights dimmed, and nice classical music set.
You must take advantage of the complimentary tea service in the mornings. Bone china served on a silver tray, delivered with 3 newspapers. I LOVED the honey flavored swizzle sticks they send along instead of sugar. Seriously nice touch.
We were treated as if we were hedge fund execs who stay there all the time, even though I secured the room when lastminutetravel.com had their $1 hotel room sale. I was expecting indifferent service from them to be honest, seeing as I paid $4 total, but they all couldn't have been nicer.
Location is A+ perfect. Tiffany, central park, Bergdorff, St. Patrick's, subway, all within 2 or 3 blocks. Great place on the SW corner of the block with freshly made bagels and a stunning fruit/salad bar.
Getting a taste for this place has ruined me. I won't stay anywhere else in NY again.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
New Haven
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2009

We stayed in the St Regis for 2 nights during a weekend. The reception in the hotel was as expected from a hotel of this class; the doorman asked our name upon arrival and we were greeted by our name whenever we left or came in. The check-in was pleasant, we received an upgrade to a suite and, surprisingly, we were brought to our room by the person who checked us in. Shortly thereafter the butler arrived to explain the mechanics in the room and she immedialty checked whether we needed dinner reservations (which she obtained at Adour, in the hotel for that evening). Throughout our stay the service was excellent. The room was classicaly decorated, very comfortable and spacious. Coffee and tea service was complimentary and apeeared shortly after calling the butler.
We didn't have breakfast in the hotel but had dinner in Adour (Alain Ducasse) which was excellent, both service and food, but what else do you expect when the chef has several Michelin star restaurants.
On our second day we asked the doorman for a taxi to the restaurant we had a reservation for, but instead of hailing a cab he called the St Regis Bentley for us; a very pleasant surprise.
The hotel is very conveniently located between 5th Avenue (corner) and Madison Avenua and 3 blocks from Central Park.
We have stayed in several other hotels in NYC, and althougfh there are many other cheaper and great alterantives, this was by far our best experience and highly recommended for a special event.

• Liked — Quality, comfort, service and location
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
Massachussetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2009

This is a beautiful Hotel. This is the most like a European style luxury hotel in the US..and we have been to a few. The houskeeping service was seamless and attentive to every detail. Everything about our room and bath was luxury.We have and will go back. Our only complaint is a big one. The food and service in the Astor Court dining room for breakfast was sub standard. The omelettes were tasteless. The coffee was weak. And for such pedestrian fare the prices were extraordinarily high ($133). When we entered the dining room at 10AM, almost all the tables had dirty dishes on them. We were not alone in our dissatisfaction. The table next to us waited for 30 minutes for a bowl of oatmeal.

• Liked — Room
  • Disliked — Food
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
chicago, IL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2009

Service is king here though I prefer a more casual style. Great location. Butlers really look after you which sometimes I need in New York.

• Stayed January 2007, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Santa Monica
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2008

I've stayed at the St. Regis San Francisco and never thought I would experience better service but the St. Regis NYC has certainly done just that. I arrived on a redeye from Los Angeles and showed up at the hotel at 6:45am. They took my cell phone number and said they would try to ready a room for me within the next several hours. The hotel called me before 10am and said they had a room ready for me. They upgraded me to a deluxe room #1411 (not sure if being a SPG gold member had anything to do with it). I was staying only for 1 night and I booked the room using SPG points. The room was very spacious for a Manhattan hotel. The butler service was amazing -- brought me unlimited bottles of water and of took my shoes for a shining and brought them back within an hour. Even thought my room faced 55th street, it was unbelieveably quiet for a Manhattan hotel. I had a wonderful stay. The location on 5th avenue is perfect. The hotel also gave me a 4pm late checkout the next day. Everyone from the bell desk to the folks working at the front desk are incredibly nice and bend over backwards to ensure your stay is perfect. If you can afford it, I feel that there is not other place to stay in Manhattan.

• Liked — Service
  • Disliked — Just a personal prefence but I pefer modern decor
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Cambridge
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2008

Looking at its website before arriving, I was worried about not liking the St Regis. In general, I do not like classical-style hotels in the US, but the excellent service and very comfortable rooms won me over. The St Regis is an exceptionally well-run hotel with fantastic staff in a perfect New York location. For this style of hotel in NY, I still prefer the Peninsula but it is a very close race.

Right from the moment I arrived, everyone was unfailingly friendly and polite: nothing was too much trouble, and every single person who met me greeted me with a cheerful smile. The butler service was much more practical and useful than other hotels I have stayed at: the butler was very friendly and seemed to take a great personal pride in sorting out whatever you requested. Room service breakfast was excellent, and good value compared to other NY five star places.

The rooms themselves do the very best they can around the old bones of the hotel. They are decorated in a clean, classical style--my Astor Suite was in a muted yellow with silk wall panels, while my colleague's Grand Luxe room was in a light duck egg blue. Both were good sizes and well laid out, with classical marble bathrooms that are a good size and well-equipped.

The Astor Suite suffered from the very small windows you get on the top floors of the building, but in return for that the views were good. For me, given the hotel's short height and location, none of the views are spectacular: just nice views up and down the grand streets. The Grand Luxe room was much brighter, but you only really saw the fronts of other buildings from the windows.

All the facilities worked excellently, as expected at this level. Good high-speed internet and excellent climate control in both rooms. Given this and the fact that all services are 24h, it makes a great hotel for business travellers as well as a luxurious place for a holiday.

Value-wise it's very expensive but on a par with the other five star places in NY.

I only stayed for one night but I definitely want to go back and try the place again.

• Liked — Excellent hotel staff
  • Disliked — Old-fashioned style
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to The St. Regis New York? Share your experiences!