“1st Class all the way” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The St. Regis New York

You added The St. Regis New York to your Saves list
The St. Regis New York
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2 East 55th Street, at Fifth Avenue, New York City, NY 10022 (Midtown)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Book Early and Save
Ranked #59 of 463 Hotels in New York City
Certificate of Excellence 2014
“1st Class all the way”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2014

Because of properties like this NYC hotel, the St. Regis has become my favorite hotel brand. While other top-tier branded hotels have slacked off on their service and amenities over the years, every St. Regis I have stayed in, from Italy to NYC to San Francisco has been top-notch, with great attention to detail and service. The NYC St. Regis lived up to my high expectations. I booked an Astor Suite, which was spacious in all areas (bedroom, bathroom, and living room). It also had a 1/2 bath, which is always nice for guests. The butler service was great, as well. Little things, like immediate help with luggage and free slippers at evening turn-down service, help make this property (and every St. Regis) at least a half-step higher/better than their competitors like the Waldorf Astoria, Ritz Carlton, etc. In my opinion, the only brand in the same league as the St. Regis is Four Seasons.
The bar in this hotel is pretty cool, and it's apparently where the Bloody Mary was invented, which makes it even cooler.
Great location in midtown on 55th St., one door away from 5th Ave. My view wasn't spectacular. I'm not sure if there are better views from other rooms. The shower was one of the best I've ever had in NYC. Very powerful!
This was my first stay at this St. Regis, because I had heard from a couple of people that it is a little "worn out". I have to say that is not the case at all. It is traditional, for sure, but I appreciate and enjoy that at at certain price-point. My suite was traditionally furnished, but all great furniture, clean/new carpet, sheets drapes, etc. If you want hip, stay at a boutique hotel downtown. If you want elegant, old-school money NYC with butlers in tuxedos, stay at the St. Regis. Simply 1st class, which is what I expected and exactly what I received. I will stay here again.

Room Tip: The Astor Suite is spacious and also has a 1/2 bath, which is great. Get a bloody mary at the bar, j...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
StRegisNYC, Manager at The St. Regis New York, responded to this review, May 2, 2014
We are very pleased to learn that our team provided you with exceptional service during your recent visit to The St. Regis New York.

Thank you for your time, and for recognizing our mission to provide the best service and pampering experience to each of our guests. We will share your kind words with the team and we are so grateful for your support!

We hope that we will have the opportunity of having you as our guest very soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (144)
East Coast
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2014

Relatively small hotel, intimate feel, great location. Bar area can get really crowded, which is a good sign but can be a bit frustrating. Staff friendly and competent, though it seemed like the front desk had somewhat less experienced though very friendly staff. They were very flexible on a room change- rooms are really very diverse.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay on TripAdvisor. We appreciate your feedback and will share your comments with the team. We look forward to welcoming you back as our guest in the near future!
New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2014

What a shock and unmitigated horror discovering the newly-renovated breakfast area of the St Regis!

Once a haven of pure comfort and elegance with couch-like banquettes in a jewel of spatio-temporal otherworldliness, it's been turned into a vulgar and gaudy pastiche of clashing elements. Now the space is ugliness epitomized, every incoherent and hideous element jarring the senses--a gold and silver, shiny, hard edged, frescoed, columned and carpeted bordello.

It's an exemplar for students of design of how NOT to randomly throw together objects at war with each other, unless in a calculated effort to torture hapless clientele. Even the layout of tables with its hostile chairs has no flow and is out of sync with the space.

There are plans to do a number on the lovely classic King Cole bar as well. Hopefully, there'll be someone judicious and with a sense of aesthetic propriety ensuring the same does not happen there.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
On behalf of the Management team at The St. Regis New York, we appreciate you taking the time to detail your recent visit to our hotel. We thank you for your feedback and will share your comments with the team.
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2014

I want to start my review by saying this was probably one of the best hotel stays I have ever had at a Starwood property. I'm a consistent 50 night platinum preferred SPG and lifetime gold member, so that may explain the incredible upgrades that I received at the St Regis NYC. Upon check in I was upgraded without request to a St. Regis suite. After a 20 hour flight from Sydney, Alessandro at the front desk handled my check in very smoothly and graciously. I was going to be in the hotel for ten nights so I requested additional hangers for my clothes. As they should they arrived immediately with my butler just as my bags were being placed into my room. I've stayed at St. Regis properties when travelling in Asia so I'm familiar with the butler service that the hotel offers. Morning coffee, evening tea, laundry, were all handled graciously and effecietly at the St regis NYC. On the fifth day of my stay I received a call from the front desk to inquire about my stay thus far and to inquire if I would be interested in upgrading to a larger suite for the remainder of my five days at the hotel. At first I wasn't sure if I wanted to go thru the effort of packing and unpacking but I thought it would be worth a quick tour of another room type at the hotel for future reference. Upon entering the beautiful Fifth Avenue suite it was pretty much a no brainer that I would move into room 1518 for the next five nights. The room was like a small luxury apartment and was extremely quiet. Since the renovation was completed the hotel has been returned to it's former glory. Both of my rooms and all of the public spaces were immaculately maintained. I used the gym a couple of moorings and although it is small it does the job. I used the King Cole Salon for breakfast every mourning and my waiter Mohamed was always friendly and very professional. Jon at the concierge desk was great and took care of all of our restaurant bookings and got me a booking at Bobby Flays new restaurant Gato when no one else could. He made may son very, very happy. The St. Regis has in my opinion the best address in New York City sitting at the corner of Fifth Avenue and 55th Street. Literally everything and anything that you need or want is within walking distance of the hotel. All in all this was an amazing stay and I cannot recommend enough this hotel. Granted it isn't cheap to stay her but they do add value to your stay with their incredible service, high standards and beautiful environment. Oh and one last note... you have to have at least one Bloody Mary at the spot that invented the drink, the King Cole Bar.
P.s. During the checkout process I mentioned to Alessandro that we have booked the St Regis in Florence and Rome for Christmas. As he had worked in the Rome St. Regis he gave me some suggestions for rooms in their Rome property…very much appreciated.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Thank you for your recent review on TripAdvisor. We truly appreciate you taking the time to detail your experience, and we are so pleased that you had a wonderful visit at The St. Regis New York.

We will share your comments with our team members, and we grateful of your praises.

We look forward to welcoming you back as our guest in the near future!
Sarasota, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2014

This Gilded Age hotel was built by John Jacob Astor IV of Titanic fame and boosts the King Cole Bar, with its Maxfield Parrish mural and its claimed invention of the first Bloody Mary. It is in the top category of New York hotels with its heritage, beautifully appointed rooms, and outstanding service from butlers, concierges, waiters, and other employees. It is within walking distance of Central Park and some of the finest restaurants, stores, and museums in the world. Although usually an early riser against my will, I got an extra two hours sleep each morning because the bed and room were so comfortable. I loved the chandelier and other lights, which could be raised or dimmed in almost unlimited variety. The fitness center, although small, had everything I needed and was of high quality. As the hotel demands to be evaluated using the highest standards, I must note that two elevators were out of order during my four-night stay and the reception desk occasionally got overrun by lines of guests unused to having to wait. This is an Old Money hotel, lacking the glitz for the Nouveau Riche, but still catering discreetly to small meetings of well behaved business people. As for my grade below, I gave it a five for value, somewhat against my will, as the prices are sky high, but I really did feel like a king staying here.

Room Tip: You probably won't get a good view from the room, unless you ask for it; but the room is so beau...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2014

Fifth Avenue has never been over-endowed with great places to stay. This grand and gracious hotel has recently had a make-over and is now a new land mark for style. The bedroom was exquisitely decorated and my private hallway had beautiful.black and white check flooring. The bathroom was grand, done out in pale marble.
The St. Regis is one of the few pedigree hotels in New York and a hotel for grown ups !! Everyone is made welcome by their very own butler who is always there but remains unseen and out of your way.
If you want a hotel with elegance and discretion - look no further.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at the St. Regis New York. We are so pleased that you enjoyed your time with us and are looking forward to welcoming you back soon!
Ahmedabad, India
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2014

even being a platinum spg member, we got no upgrade or benefits at checkin. the room was nice and clean, but the bed was lumpy and the rooms all face inside and are gloomy. not expected from such a hotel, they can make the interanl courtyard elegant with some landscaping etc. the heating was also quite messy. the wait at the checkin desk is always long.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Thank you so much for taking the time to detail your recent experience at The St. Regis New York.

We are deeply sorry that we were not able to meet your expectations during your recent visit to our hotel and would welcome an opportunity to discuss these issues with you further. Kindly contact us at GeneralManagerNY@StRegis.com.

Kind Regards
The St. Regis Management Team

Been to The St. Regis New York? Share your experiences!