“Almost Perfect” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The St. Regis New York

Orbitz.com Booking.com
The St. Regis New York
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2 East 55th Street, at Fifth Avenue, New York City, NY 10022 (Manhattan)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Join SPG to save 5% more
Ranked #41 of 447 hotels in New York City
Houston, Texas
“Almost Perfect”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

I spent five nights at the St Regis,NYC and loved it. The lobby is beautiful and the building itself is extraordinary. My room was very nice with all the luxurious amenities you would expect. The bathroom was beautiful with both a shower and tub and two sinks. The bed was extremely comfortable and the sofa and chairs were much appreciated. Room service staff was exceptional. I enjoyed the Continental breakfast each morning and utilized the spa, taking advantage of the spa credit I received. Unfortunately, I was not allowed to use the women's locker room because the staff had allowed a male guest to use the women's steam room, which I found rather unfortunate. The staff knew I was booked for a service so I am not sure why they allowed the male guest priority. I especially liked the French press coffee brought to me each morning by the butler and the variety of newspapers provided at my request. The butler service was mostly a good experience. Some butlers were better than others. As another guest has noted, they did not replinish the fruit bowl as I was told. I am sure they would have brought it had I asked as they were very receptive to any requests, such as extra water or bath products. The location of the hotel is perfect, close to Central Park, the shopping on Fifth Avenue and Madison Avenue, and within decent walking distance to the theater. The service was quite good, but not perfect. Doormen do not typically greet you or open the door upon arrival, which I found odd. I also experienced on a couple of occasions the staff turn their back on me while trying to get a cab and talk to other guests who were obviously regulars for several minutes before returning to help me hail a cab. I thought this was a little rude. The facilities do seem to require some attention. I continued to experience lighting and other electrical issues in my room over the course of my stay. The faucet in the shower completely broke off. There were also numerous problems with the telephone system. However, the staff was quick to respond and repair all of these issues. The handicapped elevator also broke while I was there and this posed a big problem to a handicapped family member who could not exit the hotel without the elevator. The staff was proactive and carried him out of the hotel, though there were a few tense moments during that ordeal. I was concerned that there was no other option other than that one elevator. Overall I thoroughly enjoyed my stay at this gorgeous hotel and would stay there again even though there is just a little something missing with the service that prevents me from giving the hotel a perfect score.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
StRegisNewYork, Manager at The St. Regis New York, responded to this review, November 27, 2012
Thank you for your recent review on TripAdvisor. We truly appreciate you taking the time to detail your experience. We regret to learn of the issues you encountered during your stay. Please know that this is certainly not our standard, and we are taking the necessary measures to follow up internally to ensure the problems you mentioned are resolved. We would welcome an opportunity to discuss your stay with you further and can be contacted at GeneralManagerNY@StRegis.com.

Thank you for allowing us the opportunity to welcome you back to The St. Regis New York, and we look forward to seeing you in the future.

Kind regards,
The St. Regis Management Team

521 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (98)
Mexico City
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

Best thing from the St Regis is its location. We stayed for a couple of days. Rooms however need a makeover. They are old and rusty. We never heard the butler service included in our suite. Impossible to get a cab. Bell boys were a total disaster.
For $1900 per night I will go somewhere else.

Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
We appreciate you taking the time to detail your recent stay at The St. Regis New York and apologize for the experience that you encountered with our Bellmen. Please know that this is not the experience we strive to provide to our guests.

We would welcome the opportunity to discuss with you further. Please contact us directly at GeneralManagerNY@StRegis.com so we may review your stay with you in more detail.

Kind regards,
The St. Regis Management Team
Florence, Alabama
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

We just recently had the pleasure of staying for 1 night at the St. Regis New York and our experience was just about perfect. The Butler service is amazing and something that lives up to its reputation! The location is just around the corner from Central Park and all the great shopping and is a perfect oasis in the City!

• Stayed November 2012
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012 via mobile

When you hear St Regis you expect only the best. We were disappointed compared to other St Regis properties we have stayed in. Our $1,000.00 a night suite wasn't worth it. We had to carry our luggage up the front steps. No one offered to carry them for us. The front desk was very friendly and helpful. But it all stopped there. We had to carry our own luggage to our suite. The suite needed a make over. Furnishings were old and tired. Suite was dark, and at times you felt as though you were in a basement. We had butler service which was very irratic. We were told that fruit would be replenished daily - but this never happened. We left our room one morning by 10:00am and when we returned at 4:30pm the maid was in our room cleaning it. We were disappointed and most likely not stay here again. It's back to the Trump International Towers for us.

Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

We stayed at the St. Regis NYC during fashion week and had an incredible stay. Our room was huge, and it was decorated so regally. The staff was polite, and helpful, the breakfast was delicious. Definitely returning!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Toronto
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

My daughter and I stayed in the St.Regis NYC this past weekend and received the best attention from the reservations dept before living to arriving. Every staff from the doorman , wait staff and butlers, and driver of the house was outstanding. They live up to their reputation, I was not dissapointed at all . This trip happened a week after Sandy visited the city and there was not a sign of distress within the hotel. If there was, the guests were not aware . Every detail was well thought out from the bottled water stocked at the front with the doorman to the finer details of obtaining my preferred pillow type.

Bed was so comfy that I had no trouble getting used to ,which is rare for me, every night was a great night awakening to a refreshed morning with warm greetings at the breakfast room . By the 2nd day, the staff at breakfast already knew our names by hard and was caring enough to enquire about my cough from the day before. Very nice and personal touches that make us guests feel comfortable at home. After coming home, I received a call from Director of Security Mr Harry Falik informing us we may have left a personal item in the room without disclosing what it was .. it was turned in by our very efficient butler Ms Gjuner, originally from Macedonia ! The news came as a shock to me since I have yet to unpack all the luggages.. Without disclosing the item, I asked for a hint of what it is and immediately knew it was my newly acquired antique watch!!! I proceeded to give an exact discription of the watch and Mr Falik confirmed that is indeed the item.

I cant imagine my distress had i discover the loss earlier.. I cant thank Ms Gjuner enough for her honesty and integrity . St.Regis NYC has definitely some good quality staff there.

Room Tip: Did not use the Spa n pool...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Houston, TX
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

Make SURE you are not given Suite 721!
We paid $1,500.00 per night to be put into this suite near some sort of mechanical room where we heard constant machinery or elevator noise.
First night I assumed it was outside traffic.
Second night I figured out it was coming from inside the hotel.
Was departing after third night and was not about to pack up & change rooms.
Complained to hotel AFTER departing-did not get much of a 'sorry'!
There are BETTER hotels in midtown Manhatten who might be more grateful for your business!!!
I was in touch via e-mail with someone at the hotel and suggested that person enter the bedroom and bath to determine from where the noise was originating.
Have yet to receive reply/explanation.
Hope this will save other guests some noisy nights!!!

Room Tip: DO NOT be put into Suite 721. Unsure whether ALL suites ending in '21' have similar problem...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to The St. Regis New York? Share your experiences!