“Ok hotel...not fabulous.” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Shoreham

You added Shoreham to your Saves list
Shoreham
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   33 West 55th Street, Just off of Fifth Avenue, New York City, NY 10019 (Midtown)   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #319 of 463 Hotels in New York City
Pittsford, NY
“Ok hotel...not fabulous.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2014

Spent two nights at this hotel July 13-14. My room was small but adequate.

The pros: The hotel was clean, the staff friendly, and the location decent.

The cons: The bathroom is tiny and there is no counter space to set down your beauty products - so I had to keep them on the desk. The first day there were no washcloths, and I had to call down for maintenance to fix the temperature controls on the air conditioning as they did not work. It took two calls and an hour for someone to appear. The next day - the outlets stopped working. I tried to call down to report this...but it's a cordless phone, so it didn't work either! I had to get in the elevator and go down to the desk. The woman replied that it was common and had to have maintenance meet me in my room to reset a switch.

The hotel does not have an ice machine, so if you want ice, you call down and someone brings you a bucket of ice. Seems like more of a nuisance to them than necessary.

I made the mistake of eating breakfast in the "restaurant" one morning. It's really their bar and all of the tables and chairs are low coffee type tables and lounge type couches...not very conducive to breakfast and the newspaper.

Would I stay here again? Probably not...there are so many places to choose from in NYC, I think I would spend my money elsewhere.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
Lisa G, General Manager at Shoreham, responded to this review, July 28, 2014
Dear Dancergirlmom,

Thank you for sparing time and posting your review of The Shoreham on Trip Advisor. We do appreciate hearing from our guests, as their comments are vital for us to continue in improving our services. Please accept my sincere apologies for our lack of communication; we pride ourselves in giving the best customer service possible. I hope that you will provide us with the opportunity to restore your faith and regain your confidence in us.

Lisa Grossberg

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (214)
  • Thai first
Hong Kong, China
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2014

Long-story-short: there is better value for money in NYC. There has to be. The hallways were so narrow, my shoulders bounced against the walls as I walked to my room. The room itself - and the bathroom, especially - was pretty spacious. But what drove me (us) crazy, was the grinding, burbling, hacking, nauseating sounds that the air conditioner made ALL NIGHT LONG. I have stayed in backpacker dives in Cambodia that had better aircon quality. Overall, this place seems like it was once trendy/hot but is now showing its age and lack of investment. Good location. But otherwise, skip it.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Lisa G, General Manager at Shoreham, responded to this review, July 21, 2014
Dear ironrooster73,

Houston, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2014

Have stayed at this property several times,and recommended it to all our friends. One of the main reasons was the free delicious coffee machine-24 hours.Last 2 times we stayed--they had changed the milk to a disgusting simulated powdered milk(which ruined)the coffee,and the machine is no longer available all day. Really--this was a plus--fabulous coffe--we would pop back into the hotel during the day for a refresher coffee--very disappointed.

Room Tip: some rooms are tiny
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Lisa G, General Manager at Shoreham, responded to this review, July 17, 2014
Dear Moviemom2,

I would like to thank you for taking the time to provide our hotel with your feedback. I apologize on behalf of the hotel, for not providing you with the experience you had hoped for; please know our team has been notified of your experience and they hope for your return, so that we may make it up to you. If you decide to give us another try, please feel free to contact me and I will make sure your stay will be nothing short of perfect. Thanks you again for your time, and have a great day.

Warm Regards,
Fort Smith, Arkansas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2014

Stayed at Shoreham in July with husband and 15 year old son. Found the Shoreham by searching internet for one bedroom suite. Shoreham offered a decent price, free internet & breakfast buffett. Room was clean, maybe a bit worn around the edges but the bed was comfortable and the overall space was more than appropriate for the amount of time spent in the room. Great shower with hot water. Air unit did not cool that well, asked for a fan which made it comfortable. Staff was friendly and helpful. Great location. Would stay again.

Room Tip: Sleeper sofa was actually a futon and will only accommodate one teenager or maybe two small children...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Lisa G, General Manager at Shoreham, responded to this review, July 17, 2014
Dear Alesia S,

Thank you for the wonderful review. We’re delighted you chose to stay with us! We always want to make sure all of our guests have a pleasant stay. If you chose to visit us again, check out our special packages for great deals. We’ll also point you towards our favorite places to drink and dine throughout Manhattan. We hope to see you both again in the future!

Paisley, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2014

Stayed in a one bedroomed suite and have only positive views on this hotel. Room was spotless and cleaned every day of our 8 day stay to a very high standard. The location is superb, with easy access to Times square or Central park being just around the corner. My wife , daughter and I would highly recommend this hotel. The staff were also extremely helpful as and when required. all in all a superb holiday made all the better by the excellent hotel

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Lisa G, General Manager at Shoreham, responded to this review, July 21, 2014
Dear Tammus,

Thank you for taking your time and leaving us a review on trip advisor. I am pleased to learn that you were very happy with the hotel and that out location was convenient for you. The major shops, tourist attractions, subways and restaurants definitely add a finishing touch to the hotel. I would like to invite you and your daughter back the next time you are in NYC!

We look forward to seeing you,
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2014

Had a junior suite. The shower drain wouldn't drain,tub jets kept kicking on by itself,and the tv was messed up so moved to a different room same problems.the staff was helpful and gave us free breakfast and a free movie for our troubles and the location was really good we was in between Central Park and time square

• Stayed July 2014
Lisa G, General Manager at Shoreham, responded to this review, July 11, 2014
Dear Jerese,

First and foremost I would like to say thank you for making The Shoreham to be your hotel of choice on your visit to New York. I am pleased you enjoyed our prime location. I would love the opportunity to have you back as our guest and provide you with a stay that exceeds your expectations. We look forward to having you back!

LIsa Grossberg
CHARLOTTESVILLE, VA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2014

What used to be "location, location, location" is now "in need of renovation, renovation, renovation. Once a longtime favorite that I could always count on, this hotel is on the skids with apparently no plans for upgrades in the works per the manager. Areas in need of work: cleaner rooms, fitness room is a joke with broken equipment, etc., etc. Unfortunately, until they do something soon, I'll have to move on to another property.

Room Tip: Find another property.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Lisa G, General Manager at Shoreham, responded to this review, July 11, 2014
Dear Nancanva,

Thank you for your candid and thorough review of The Shoreham Hotel. On behalf of my team I would like to thank you for staying. I will be sure to address with the team your constructive feedback in order to help us get better at what we do.We will definitely take your feedback and work to improve our overall guest experience. I hope that next time you choose to visit NYC again you decide to stay at the Shoreham, hotel; we would like the opportunity to regain your confidence in us.

Be well,
Lisa Grossberg

Been to Shoreham? Share your experiences!