“Form Over Function” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Shoreham

Save Saved
You added Shoreham to your Saves list
Shoreham
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   33 West 55th Street, Just off of Fifth Avenue, New York City, NY 10019 (Manhattan)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Summer Rates from $139
Ranked #299 of 451 hotels in New York City
St. Louis, MO
“Form Over Function”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

I'm not a picky hotel guest. All I really need is a place to lay my head, and a hot shower. Still, I've been to a few hotels before, and some things did stand out to me.

First, I'd like to talk about the positives:

Location - This hotel is in the center of Midtown, and is close to attractions like: Fifth Ave., Central Park, MoMA, and Times Square.

Room Size - While not huge, the room was not as tight as some rooms in big cities that I've been in

The Coffee Machine - I have to say, this was my favorite thing in the hotel. It instantly makes about fifty different coffee and cocoa drinks. It was a nice way to return to the room after a night of walking in the cold, or to utilize when I woke up.

Overall, for these things, I would say that is a pretty nice hotel.

There was just one big negative:

The decoration / construction of the hotel was somewhat lacking. The building is an old building, and the solution for the hotel seems to be to slap a facade over everything, giving it a modern look. Instead of new elevators that work well, they put modern metal on the inside to make them look new, but they weren't, and were broken at times.

The rooms have some of the same problems. They look nice, but when I actually needed to do something practical, I found myself wondering why there were no hooks or tables in the bathroom or a place where I could plug my phone in to charge it.

The bathroom was larger than most hotel bathrooms, but they didn't seem to utilize the space well. There was no place in the cavernous bathroom to set anything down. The sink was especially cheap, a tiny stainless steel model with a difficult to use handle. It reminded me of ones I had seen while camping in state parks.

The construction seemed to baffle me at times. The frosted glass bathroom doors, which looked nice and gave the room a Japanese feel, were held up with wood screws, some of which had wire caps (the plastic things you use to couple wires with) to cover the sharp ends of the screws which were sticking out. The recessed lighting above the bed was not covered, allowing you to look up into the ceiling. The paint was sloppily applied to the mirrors...I could go on, but it made me aware of the sloppiness of the construction all around.

I wouldn't say this was a deal breaker, and wouldn't keep me from going back to the hotel, it just lessened the elegance of the hotel. I've been to other boutique hotels, and their care of their property seemed almost impeccable, but this one seemed a bit lacking.

Dear Seamonkee,
I will to thank you for taking the time to provide our hotel with your feedback. I apologize on behalf of the hotel, for not providing you with the experience you had hoped for; please know our team has been notified of your experience and they only hope for your return, so that they can make it up to you. If you decide to give us another try, please feel free to contact me and I will make sure your stay will nothing short than perfect. Thank you again for your time, and have a bless day.

980 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (169)
  • Thai first
Rincon, Puerto Rico
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

This hotel is close to high-end shopping and major attractions in the city, as well as accessible to underground and bus transportation. As far as the facilities, you will get the basic "NYC boutique" look, which these days can be easily attained with gray fabric-covered walls, some black and white pictures on the walls and frosted glass bathroom doors. It is obviously an older property that was refurbished to look "boutique" and they got most things right. The lobby is adequate for the size of the hotel. A nice touch was having a complimentary coffee machine available all day, with a wide selection selection of coffee beverages. A lively bar is located next to the lobby. The size of the guestroom is in line with similar hotels of the same category located in this part of the city. So don't go expecting a huge room, but the size is fine for spending a couple of nights.

As far as service goes, this is my only concern. None of the staff seem to acknowledge guests. I'm talking about hotel employees not even saying "Good Morning" in the morning, or "Thank you" after getting a tip. No "Welcome" from the front desk agents when checking in. No "Welcome back" from the doormen. No "Have a nice day" when leaving for the day. These people should be told that the basic rule in the Hospitality industry is being HOSPITABLE. I'm not expecting "fake-friendliness", which I hate. Just basic manners, I guess.

I know of other hotels close to it with similiar facilities and better guest service. But I guess that for the price paid (through one of those "mistery hotel sites") it was OK for the three nights that I spent here.

Dear Arnaldo Ruiz,

Sanford, ME
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012 via mobile

Stayed here for a two day conference at the Manhattan Club and really enjoyed the proximity to the conference and upscale shopping venues. Hotel room was typical NYC boutique and quite clean, although my room had a definite cigarette smell which caused me to score it down just a bit. Staff is friendly and their restaurant/bar is hopping! Good place at a very reasonable price right near 5th Ave.

• Stayed November 2012
Dear Carl Gagnon,
I will like to thank you for taking the time to review The Shoreham Hotel. Our hotel staff takes pride in providing all our guests with the “Perfect Stay.” Please feel free to contact the front office during your next visit to The Shoreham, and we will make sure to accommodate you and your family. Thank you again for making our hotel your lodging destination when visiting New York City.
Warm Regards,
New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

I live in New York and had never been to the Shoreham. My partner and I were very fortunate to discover the Shoreham via the Tablet Hotels website and get a room for us and our two dogs!

The entire Shoreham team could not have been nicer from the time we walked in and they learned that we had been without power and water in our apartment downtown for a few days. The extra effort they took and their kindness, particularly during a stressful time for so many of them because their apartments were impacted and they had been working nonstop for 5 days at the hotel, was simply amazing!

We had a small room (but it is New York and we understand that very well, given that we live here!), but it met all our needs -- comfortable bed, clean bathroom with all the necessities, wi-fi, TV and great food via room service.

We ended up eating two meals at the hotel and the food was excellent at the bar (as well as the wine selection). I was really happy to discover the hotel has a happy hour daily from 8:00 to 10:00 PM, and I will be back to enjoy that when I am in midtown New York in the future.

My circumstances for being in this hotel were quite different than probably most individuals who consider the Shoreham for their stay. But, as an someone who lives in New York, I can vouch that the location is absolutely fantastic if you are visiting the city and want to be close to Central Park, Fifth Avenue shopping, Museum of Modern Art and several subway lines that will get to around the city very easily.

Add to this that the hotel staff are super friendly (and this place is dog friendly!). The Shoreham certainly won me over, and I would recommend it if your travels bring you to New York.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
London uk
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

Was in New York during Hurricane Sandy and at the Shoreham hotel they made our stay there an enjoyable one. Staff really helpful and kind. Herri was fantastic, always there to please. Will go there again. Location was excellent.

Dear Kugi N,
I will like to thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. Please feel free to contact myself or the front office for any future stays, and accommodations prior to your arrival. Once again, thank you and we hope you had a safe journey home; but please know you will always have a place to stay here at The Shoreham.

London, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

My sister, mother and I were there for a 3 day trip which turned into a full week and a bit thanks to Hurricane Sandy....This hotel location is perfect! We were far away enough from the flooding and we never lost power...We got a price break once we were stuck there for 4 extra nights...
The staff were incredible and we felt for them as they had to bunk in at the hotel as they were also stuck due to no transportation and some had no power at their homes...
I would recommend this hotel to anyone...Staff were incredible!
They do need to purchase new mini fridges though...did not work...
Would return definitely!!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Dear Carson Brett,
I will like to thank you for taking the time to review The Shoreham Hotel. Our hotel staff takes pride in providing all our guests with the “Perfect Stay.” I am delighted to see we were able to meet and exceed your expectations. Thank you again for making our hotel your lodging destination when visiting New York City. Please feel free to contact the front office during your next visit to The Shoreham, and I will personally make sure to make it a memorable experience.
Warm Regards,
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

You can tell that this place used to be fantastic but now it is very worn around the edges. Rooms are clean and well provided with amenities but the finishes on everything are showing their age - scuffs and marks that should have been fixed up a long time ago.
The staff are very friendly and helpful but I have to agree with an earlier review that they are overworked - waiting at the desk means waiting while one person tries to answer both internal and external lines as well as deal with people face to face. These views aren't a one off - I stayed there over two weeks on business.
In that time I needed a new room key nearly every other day as in the evenings it just wouldn't work. Engineering came to look after the first week and it was a bit better but still not perfect.
Also, not sure how their booking system works as twice I was woken up late at night by housekeeping under the impression that the room was empty and needed refreshing for a new guest - not happy.
If a Boutique Hotel is to survive in such a competitive area it needs to offer something more than this currently does. I would not stay again in it's current state.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business

Been to Shoreham? Share your experiences!