“Amazing” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #168 of 464 Hotels in New York City
leeds
“Amazing”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2014

Everything about this hotel was amazing. Perfect stay for a perfect trip. Attention to detail was amazing...on the morning of my birthday i was woken to a knock on the door..complimentary friut bowl and bottle of champagne with a card reading "Happy Birthday from all at The Royalton". Little touches like this made the hotel as spectacular as it is. Nothing is too much for the staff, you need anything you just simply have to ask and they help in any way possible. You will either love or hate the decor....i loved it but do think it would be down to the individuals taste.

Room Tip: Be sure to request a room with the bath and waterfall shower...amazing
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
VictoriaStewart, General Manager at Royalton New York Hotel, responded to this review, August 15, 2014
Wow! A “Perfect stay for a Perfect Trip”. We strive to provide experiences such as this so it is wonderful to read when we achieve it. I am glad you enjoyed your birthday with us and that we were able to make it a little bit more “spectacular”.

Thank you for your wonderful review and we hope to see you the next time you are in New York City.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (283)
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2014

I stayed at this hotel for 6 nights in July. I had booked the hotel as a friend had recently stayed and spoke well of the location so I thought give it a go. The location is the best thing about the hotel and is a 5 minute walk to times square and less to Fifth Avenue.

Upon arrival we were greeted by the polite doorman who opened the doors for us. It takes a minute to adjust as you enter the lobby as it is soo moody and dark and you go blind for a couple of seconds. The guy at check in was lovely and having just got off a 14 hour flight I am sure he gave us all the info we needed although it didn't go in as my brain was fuzzy at that point.

I was given a penthouse room which I got very excited about although this was somewhat premature. My room was 1602. The lifts were a decent size for NY and were pretty quick. My room was located in the middle of the hotel, so not on the road, whilst the room was actually large for NY it felt like it had the furniture of a smaller room. Considering the room was quite large there is no need for a compact bed and bedside wardrobes/minibar/bedsidelights/ all-in-one, and the desk in the corner of the room felt really awkward to sit at- I ended up pushing it into the corner of the room out of the way, there was no artwork in the room which left the room feeling really cold and a bit unfinished and a bit bland to be honest. The room was too big to pull off minimalist, I would go as far as to say the interior designer really missed a trick or 20 in these rooms and for a fashionable city I would have expected a whole lot more- the images on the website are a big oversell of the room I had. The single window was small and overlooked a fire escape and I kind of felt I was in a posh prison cell. The rooms are VERY dark even with all the lighting on, which I am sure is to add mood but the mood felt a bit like a poor mans effort to be a trendy hotel but widely missed the mark. The bed was comfortable as were the pillows. The room was quite warm so I put the AC on which sounds like a small fighter jet with turbo engines. The bathroom was nice though and the shower was great although no need for a small mirror in the shower area. The shampoos and shower gels were all very nice :-)

The room service menu is not the most inspiring and very limited, I ordered the burger and chips which was nice enough- huge portion of chips, but I would struggle to eat there for more than one evening but luckily you have lots nearby to walk to.

On my first night having switched off the fighter jet AC as it was too noisy for me, I passed out from exhaustion and slept well until about 5am, when I was woken up by a noise I am still unable to place. It was every 3 minutes and continued for the rest of my stay, it sounded like a buzzing systematic bzzz noise, obviously mechanical and it was much louder in the bathroom. I still couldn't tell you where it came from having examined my room thoroughly, I can only guess it came from somewhere deep inside the building. As I was awake I got up, tried to open the curtains ( which you need a degree in physics to do due to the positioning and angle of the curtain- I am pretty sure the staff have a 'knack' to it) after a few attempts I gave up and just put all the lights on, did my emails which costs you US$10 per 24 hours ( covers 3 devices) and then got up for breakfast meaning to speak with reception about changing the room.

Breakfast at the weekend is a buffet which is nice then with cook to order during the week. The fruit bowl was lovely and fresh as was the coffee. We then went out for the day. We arrived back quite late and tired so went straight to bed, where I realised just how many LED lights there are in the room, if you are unable to sleep in a room with lots of red and green lights similar to Hong Kongs lightshow then I would advise an eyemask, the layout of the bed area means you get the reflection of the phones red LED reflected in the ceiling of the alcove so you get double the LED lights- Brilliant! After thrashing about a bit I was then reminded of the unfathomable buzzing noise so switched the AC on to drown it out.

The next morning I spoke with reception and asked to be moved to another room but they did not have one available for the duration of my stay so I was stuck with the fighterjet AC and the buzzing thing and the electric lightshow- by the 4th night I was ready to go home which with 2 more nights to stay it became a bit of a grind and I can honestly say I didn't get a great nights stay for the duration of my stay.

Check out was easy having had my bill posted under my door the night before and was painless, although my card has been used a couple of extra times since check out which I am still looking into. The bellboy was great and we ordered a limo service which was nice and smooth to the airport.

Whilst I am not generally a light sleeper, in fact I have a loud generator outside my building and sleep with my AC on, I guess with the travel etc I may have been more aware of my surroundings than normal. The staff were lovely and the location of the Royalton is great, and this is what you pay for. As for the rooms, well I won't be taking any interior tips and I wouldn't stay here again or recommend the hotel to a friend- unless they had upset me, I may have just been unlucky with my room as a colleague enjoyed her stay but I think with so many choices in NYC you have plenty of other hotels to select over this one that would be far more special and less prison cell like and more worthy of the high rate.

Room Tip: do not have room 1602 and if you do take earplugs and an eyemask
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to write a review for us. While we are very proud of our iconic and unique design we do appreciate that it is not to everyone’s taste and I am sorry that you did not enjoy the overall style of the hotel. I am also sorry that you did not like room 1602, while located on the Penthouse Floor the room is not one of our Penthouses and I apologize if this added to your disappointment.

I was pleased to read that you found the staff to be great and that you did enjoy our location.

I hope we you will give us the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel when you are in New York City.
Pontypool
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2014

Had a brilliant stay at this hotel with my family. The staff were extremely helpful and friendly. A bulb went in our bedroom and they fixed it that day, despite us saying there was no rush. I would highly recommend this hotel, however, it is very dark. The lobby and bar area are lighted extremely dimly, which I could imagine annoying a few people. Oh, and I've never slept so well in my life! Lovely pillows, no noise and very dark when the curtains were pulled. Making for a very happy Beth :)

Stayed August 2014
Thank you for your gracious review! I am glad you enjoyed our wonderful beds and that our staff was able to attend to your needs quickly and efficiently. We look forward to seeing you again the next time you are in New York City.
Albuquerque, New Mexico, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2014

I really liked this hotel. We came on a weekend to see a show and just go out to eat and have general fun. The location is very good, easy to walk to subway stations, Times Square, Hells Kitchen, 5th Ave, etc.

Best surprise is the noise level is very low. We stayed on the 44th street side, not sure how the 43rd street side was. The beds are great and we really slept well.

I was happy to pay up and get a "loft suite" as they describe it. Very large for NYC, but an average size room if you have never been to New York. The round huge tub and shower is really cool, and very romantic. The lobby bars are cosy and quite, great for a couple date. I would like to come back to this hotel.

The continental breakfast is nothing to write home about, but if you just need an AM snack it will do. Really nice people on staff from housekeeping to front desk.

Room Tip: The 44th street facing rooms are much more quiet than most NYC hotels. The loft suite has a really...
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
What a great review! I am so pleased that you enjoyed our great location with easy access to many great points of interest in New York City…such as Times Square, Grand Central, and Fifth Avenue. It is always great to read when someone enjoys our central location but also appreciates the quiet rooms.

I am glad you enjoyed the Loft Suite and all the space that it affords, as well as our unique disco tubs. Hopefully, we will be able to welcome you back soon!
Brantford, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2014

Loved everything about this hotel, the location, the staff, the ambience, the room, everything. Location was suberb, staff attentive and efficient. The hotel was truly boutique which added to the ambience of bing in the Big Apple and location was ideal. I have always aimed for the Time Square area but this was close enough to be hand yet also a shorty distance to sights such as 5th Ave, Grand Central, Rockafeller Plaza and Central Park. If I can still afford to stay here once word of this superb property gets out I will definately be back

Room Tip: All the rooms were different. Standard rooms were small but not unusual for New York
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends
Wow! Thank you for your fabulous comments. Royalton is, indeed, centrally located in midtown, within easy walking distance of Grand Central, fantastic shopping on Fifth Avenue, and Times Square. We love our boutique feel where you can relax after a day out in our fantastic lobby and rest in one our great rooms. We look forward to welcoming you back the next time you are in New York.
dc
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2014

I have stayed at the Royalton on numerous occasions while in New York city for pleasure and have always been impressed favorably. The rooms are large by New York standards with wifi, minibar and beautiful bathrooms (shower only). I will always stay there when I can get a good room rate on one of the travel websites. And the large lobby is very nice with numerous sunken seating areas where you can order from the bar.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
Thank you for your great review. One of the great features of Royalton is our generous lobby where you can decompress after a long day of work or being out and about town. We hope to see you again on your next visit!
Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2014

OMG I went here with my 2 daughters , 14/16 , for a girls week away and we spent the most wonderful time here. Yes the hotel bar/foyer is noisy but hell it's NY. Once in our room we heard nothing. Yes the bathroom and shower where above and beyond. The cleanliness great. . All the staff where incredible. The location is great. But just the personal service was incrediblec Wow :) I will be back.

Room Tip: The wifi was $10 a night but it was quick and reliable.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Thank you for your wonderful review. I am glad you enjoyed your stay and our staff was helpful. As you said, Royalton is centrally located and great for a girls week away. I am so pleased that you enjoyed our great showers and that the personal service wowed you!