“Uber cool boutique hotel in a great location. Service needs to be improved though.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Royalton New York Hotel

Save Saved
You added Royalton New York Hotel to your Saves list
Royalton New York Hotel
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   44 West 44th Street, New York City, NY 10036 (Manhattan)   |
Special Offer
PLAN AHEAD
Ranked #156 of 452 hotels in New York City
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

Hotel is an easy walk to Time Square and the subway which makes getting around manhattan super easy. Rooms are compact, which I guess has to be expected in NYC, but very well decorated. Check out the creative "mini bar".
Only real down side was the service. Check-in, check-out staff were not friendly at all. Also, the hotel lobby is a cocktail bar open to the public. So, after a long day of sightseeing, be prepared to return to your hotel in your daggy tourist clothes whilst being eyeballed by the beautiful people sipping cocktails.
Not much else offered at the hotel. If you're looking for a slick room in a good location, this is for you. If you're staying for any more than a few nights and want a full service hotel, best look elsewhere.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
victoriastewart, General Manager at Royalton New York Hotel, responded to this review, October 21, 2013
I am sorry to hear our service did not live up to your expectations. It sounds like you really enjoyed our prime location and stylish design, and I apologize that our service did not match. I hope you’ll give us another chance to wow you with the exceptional service I know our team can provide.

1,183 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (198)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2013

My 11 year old daughter and I went to NYC for her birthday and chose the Royalton so we could have a great NYC experience in a boutique hotel. For the price, I expected a great deal more. The Disco Tub was great but the rooms were so dark. When it was time for us to check out, the doormen did not help us with our bags and we had to run down to the corner to get a taxi to the airport. It IS close to everything. But we didn't get any type of upgrade and the staff's attitude was really poor. They really didn't care if we were there or not. We definitely won't return and the next time I spend $400+ a night, I will go somewhere much better.

Room Tip: Not sure there is a good tip for a good room. They are all tomb-like....
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your review, I hope your daughter enjoyed her birthday in the city. I apologize for the hassle you experienced with having to hail a taxi yourself. It is absolutely not the departure experience we wish for you to have. It sounds like you really enjoyed our great location and relaxing five foot round soaking tub, so I hope you’ll give us a second chance to wow.
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2013

Staff at this hotel could not be more accomodating during our stay in August. We arrived earlier than the check in time, but they allowed us use of their business centre which had a shower and toilet, toiletries etc to freshen up. Our request to have a room on the top floor (15th) was fulfilled. You could still hear a bit of noise from the streets during the night, but after a few nights I got use to it.

The room itself was a nice size, clean, and the toiletries were lovely. Candle in the bathroom was a nice touch. The room and hotel itself had a theme of cruise ships running throughout which is nice if you like that sort of thing.

Free wifi and ipad in room proved really useful.

Only slight niggle was the keycard for our room didn't work on two occasions, which meant we had to go back down to reception to get it sorted then all the way back to our rooms.

Overall a very nice stay, the location is amazing, a few blocks away from Times Square and Port Authority, 5th Avenue etc, were all walkable.

Price was on the expensive side but overall worth it.

Room Tip: Go for as high a floor as possible. Better views and away from noise of street cleaning carts.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for such a fabulous review. I am thrilled to hear you had such a memorable stay at Royalton. It sounds like you really took advantage of our relaxing bathrooms and our central location! I hope you will join us again soon for another great stay.
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

The location of this Hotel is unbeatable.
The Royalton is close to the heart of business, restaurants and anywhere else in Manhattan that one needs to go to.
Above all, the service level is second to none, from the helpful persons who assist with the car and luggage, to the Front Desk staff and the Concierge.
Most of all, the Guest Experience Manager, Xander Westwood, is an amazing resource and he provides the ultimate in guest service and experience.
I have yet to find a more helpful manager in all my travels.
Overall, I would give the Royalton my highest rating.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
victoriastewart, General Manager at Royalton New York Hotel, responded to this review, October 9, 2013
Thank you for such a wonderful review! I am thrilled to hear our team made your stay memorable. It sounds like our location was perfect for your trip to NYC and that our service made your stay unforgettable. I hope you’ll join us again soon for another great stay.
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013

WOW, this hotel was absolutely gorgeous!! I booked it after reading the reviews from other guests. Nearly every guest received an upgrade when requested. Me however, i didn’t receive an upgrade and was in the smallest room of the hotel with no sunlight and a brick wall as a view. Quite disappointing and very frustrating upon check out, when the front desk lady had the audacity to ask me if i had asked for an upgrade.. Of course i did, in my booking i made in May via Jetsetter. The room was tiny, lucky it was only me. .The bathroom was huge and gorgeous. The room was maintained and looked after, i still had to jump over suitcases and ALL my shopping to get to the bed.
It was a short stroll to Times Square, a short stroll to 5th Avenue. The hotel was in perfect location as far as I was concerned and it was beautiful. Upon entering the hotel I was in awe and wasn’t sure I had the correct hotel, the foyer/bar area was quite plush. The Front desk and lifts were lost amongst the black interior. However once you discover them, you can’t miss them again.

Front desk staff were ok, upon check in, the first lady gave me grief in regards to a credit card to hold the entire amount I was staying when I had already PREPAID, she said it was for incidentals. How can $800 be for incidentals?? I wasn’t happy I had to leave a credit card as that was MY SPENDING MONEY!! Every other hotel I stayed at was happy with me leaving $100 cash for incidentals. This woman kept arguing with me rather than coming to some form of agreement. Another lady advised me there were no scales to weigh my luggage and really didn’t care at all about me as a guest. Her attitude sucked and was not pleasant. Whilst another lady during the night was fantastic!!! Advised me there were scales in the gym, helped me print out a tour confirmation without charging me, she was sensational, nothing was a hassle for her and certainly went over and above to help me, the guest. I wish I could remember her name.
Upon check out, again I was a given a little grief with the front desk staff in regards to contacting my bank and releasing the money they had held immediately. She either acted dumb or was, as she didn’t even both to ask anyone what I was requesting, just kept saying it wasn’t possible.. Well until the GM overheard it all and walked over to me to help my situation. He arranged a fax immediately and even sent me a confirmation email to advise it had been processed.

The night staff from housekeeping was great and very friendly.

The bar man was too busy chit chatting to friends rather than serving me and couldn’t think outside the square when I requested a cocktail that wasn’t on their menu because I don’t drink Vodka.

Door man was friendly enough and opened the door each and every time.

Apart from that, the hotel was beautiful, my stay would have been nicer if my upgrade request to a room with natural lighting was given to me. I was celebrating my 40th in style, hence why I chose this hotel, I wrote that in the notes but they didn’t seem to care. I understand the room is for only sleeping, but sometimes you’d like to come back to the room, relax with a nice view and natural sunlight prior to leaving again..

Would I stay here again? Hmmmm not quite sure. For what i paid a night, i expected a better room. The Free Wifi as part of my room booking, was fantastic!
The hotel was in perfect location and was gorgeous however, the staff need to pick up their game a lot, read notes, treat customers with a little more respect and be willing to help.

I do recommend the hotel as it is beautiful, I just hope the staff are more willing to help.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
I am pleased to hear how much you loved our overall décor and ambiance. We do try our best upgrade our guests whenever possible, but of course it is based on availability. I am sorry we were unable to honor your request, but we did provide you with the room you booked. I also apologize for the confusion you experienced during your arrival in regards to our incidentals deposit policy, but I am happy our Rooms Manager was able to help you before you departed.
It sounds like you really enjoyed our prime location and our relaxing guest bathrooms. I hope you’ll give us another chance so that you may enjoy our ambiance and central location again.
College Park, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2013

I was very happy with my two-night stay at the Royalton Hotel. While I probably wouldn't pay full price for these rooms, they were running a special that brought the price (before taxes) below $300 a night, which placed it well below the price of other hotels in the area. Only 2 blocks away from Times Square, the location was perfect for my needs.

The staff was extremely friendly. I asked whether they had a complimentary room upgrade available, and they gave me a lovely large, inward-facing room. There was no street noise (although the air conditioning unit was rather loud). When I returned back to the hotel my first day there, they had left a complimentary fruit plate, a large bottle of water, and a hand-written note welcoming me on my first stay. The staff cheerily hailed a cab for me and offered more free water when I returned to the hotel tired after a long day at work.

The bathroom was very comfortable, with a lovely shower (I actually skipped going out for meals so that I could take long, luxurious showers). The water pressure was great, as was the amount of hot water. And they actually put out a candle and matches so that guests could enjoy a candle-lit shower with the lights dimmed.

The room was lovely. The bed wasn't quite the level of a Heavenly Bed, but it was just fine.

Although I didn't have time to visit the bar or restaurant, they seemed like they'd be fun. The lobby decor was elegant, and I loved the fireplaces.

I didn't like the $10 a day fee for wireless internet, but the speed was good and the service didn't give me any problems while I was there.

This is definitely a place I'd enjoy returning, if I can find good deals on the rate.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Thank you for your review. I am thrilled to hear how much you enjoyed your room during your stay. It sounds like our team really made your stay special and that our luxurious bathroom fixtures helped you relax during your trip. I hope you’ll join us again soon for another spectacular stay!
UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013

Have just returned from this hotel. Booked as a surprise for my husband. Was a little worried as he does like his 5 stars.... well needn't have worried, he absolutely loved it, loved the chic and coolness of it all.... We had an alcove room, was great, very roomy, like a suite. Didn't pay hotel price booked through Booking.com, so much cheaper. Bathrooms fantastic, although for me would have liked a little more space to put things, but got used to that... very clean. Staff all very friendly and helpful, happy to help us with our many questions. The location is second to none, we walked everywhere, just walking around the city is fab. you are very near times square and fifth avenue and all the shops around there are open till 2 am, my kind of shopping. Theatres also nearby. Very near to Empire State Building. We walked to central park and rode bikes around the park. Very near the subway stations. Very near to Grand Central Station which we used a few times to get around. Very easy. Always can get a taxi. Breakfast expensive and hard to find alternative, there is a place across the road which is okay, but would have liked to have found somewhere better. We had a fantastic time in NYC and we both loved it all...

Room Tip: We had an Alcove Room 1402, they are larger, and quiet. No views as surrounded by tall buildings.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
What a wonderful surprise for your husband! I am thrilled the both of you fell in love with Royalton. It sounds like you really enjoyed our central location, guest bathrooms, and friendly team. I hope you’ll be back for another great stay soon!

Been to Royalton New York Hotel? Share your experiences!