“Comfortable hotel, good location” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Royalton New York Hotel

Save Saved
You added Royalton New York Hotel to your Saves list
Royalton New York Hotel
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   44 West 44th Street, New York City, NY 10036 (Manhattan)   |
Special Offer
PLAN AHEAD
Ranked #147 of 451 hotels in New York City
London, United Kingdom
“Comfortable hotel, good location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013

I enjoyed my stay in this hotel, the rooms are very comfortable and each come with an iPad you can use during your stay. The mini bar has a good selection of items and there are lots of places nearby to get snacks and coffee. The lobby bar is a great place to relax with friends and the staff are very attentive.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends

1,220 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (189)
Singapore, Singapore
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013

Location is good (there is also an establishment of Daniel Boulud across the street if you fancy french food), entrance is the best part of the hotel with good music, cool decor and nice people. Staff at the entrance door very erratic (sometimes they help you, sometimes - most of the time - not), room quite nice as well as the bathroom. All in all not bad, but I guess that "not bad" it is not enough for an hotel who wants to play in the top league

Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
victoriastewart, General Manager at Royalton New York Hotel, responded to this review, August 21, 2013
Thank you for your review. I am sorry you felt our hotel was “just ok.” It sounds like you enjoyed our central location and comfortable guest rooms, but that our service missed the mark. I hope you’ll give us another chance to wow you and provide you with the exceptional service we know we can provide.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

Stayed at the Royalton for three nights from the 8th to the 11th of August 2013. Leading up to the stay we received great customer service from the concierge via email. I had received a free upgrade which we used to book a room with two double beds as there were three of us staying in one room. We asked for a quiet room on a high floor as we are all light sleepers, and we were given a room on the 15th floor.
What we liked:
The beds were very comfortable. The shower pressure was perfect and the shower head was nice and big. The shower/bath products were lovely, my hair has never felt so nice. The room itself was very quiet, we could not hear anyone in the hall outside and there was very minimal noise from the street (not common for NY). The bathroom was also very quiet, we never woke each other up showering etc. The decor, we love the combination of heritage staples with contemporary artistic things. The fact that there is a gym and a business center, we used both. They were both small but fully functional. The location, we love midtown, it was a bit closer to Times Square than we usually stay, but we did not have a problem with traffic over-flow etc. We love the proximity to our favourite shops, restaurants, central park, museums, etc.
What we did not like:
The lack of customer service when we were actually staying at the hotel: I think the concierge might sit at the desk in front of the check-in counter, but I could not say for sure, they were rarely there and did not provide any services for us, although we asked people at the check-in counter for directions/suggestions for a few things, one of which was about getting a cab to the airport at the end of our stay, to which they responded that we should exit out the back of the hotel instead of the front because there would be a lot of cabs out back. There were no cabs and there was no one to hail one for us. We had to cart our luggage over to 5th avenue and hail our own. Honestly, this is a bit of a deal breaker for me, I have stayed in many hotels all over the world at varying price points, super expensive and super affordable, and at the Royalton I should not haves had to hail my own cab. When we stay at the Warwick we never hail our own cab, day or night. There was also never any help opening doors for us upon our return from the hotel during the day and night. We always had to open the door for ourselves no matter how many bags we had etc. Once there was actually a hotel employee at the front door, and they opened the door for us but there was some kind of a ramp blocking the stairs, we had to pick our way down the stairs on our own with no help from the employee, they could have easily pushed the ramp to one side for us, but chose to watch us silently as we stumbled down on our own on either side.
The air conditioner was very very loud. You had to basically shout over the noise when it was running.
The lack of cleanliness of the hotel room: The carpet needs to be either steam cleaned or replaced, our instinct was to wear shoes in the hotel room, that’s how dirty the carpet was. The grout in the bathroom was literally black with mold. The grout on the floor in the bathroom was also very damaged, especially near the sink; I should have taken pictures to illustrate.
The check-out experience. Our bill arrived in our room with the wrong price listed. I called down to the front desk to sort it out prior to check out because I was tight on time, I was told not to worry it would be quickly resolved when we left the hotel at noon, no need to worry about doing it over the phone. This was not the case, we spent twenty minutes at the front desk sorting out the issue, I was told I had to produce the emails between myself and the concierge which confirmed the price (even though I had confirmed the price and our room selection and dates with the concierge multiple times before our arrival). Honestly, what is the point in confirming everything prior to arrival if there isn’t going to be any continuity of service?
Basically the decor and price were that of a boutique hotel but the cleanliness and customer service did not add-up. It was worth a try for sure, and I would highly recommend it for dinner or drinks, but stick to the lobby, that’s by far the best part of the hotel. This stay was a trial run for us, we love hotels such as the Warwick but wanted to try something new in midtown. I really do not think we will be back.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on a high floor if you prefer quiet Air conditioner is loud
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
I am so sorry to hear you did not love your stay at Royalton. It sounds like you truly enjoyed our comfortable guest rooms, overall atmosphere and central location, but that our service missed the mark. We appreciate you filling out our guest service survey as well as Trip Advisor and I know that our Rooms Manager has been in contact with you directly with regard to your stay.
Melville, NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2013

Last weekend my husband and I stayed at the Royalton in Times Square. It was exactly how trip advisor described it. It was a small boutique like hotel and very dark when you entered. Upon check in they upgraded our room to an alcove suite. The suite was very nice, large enough for New York standards. I couldn't wait to use the beautiful round bathtub which could fit 3 people but I took a bath by myself. I would have loved it, if it had jets but it was nice enough. I look forward to staying the Royalton again. By the way their coffee is excellent!!!!!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
victoriastewart, General Manager at Royalton New York Hotel, responded to this review, August 19, 2013
I am so pleased to hear you and your husband had such a great stay with us. It sounds like you really enjoyed our guest suites with our relaxing five foot round soaking tubs. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon for another great stay and cup of coffee.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I enjoy an annual Broadway weekend, and just returned this past Sunday. Typically we stay very close to Times Square; we stayed at the Westin a number of times, and last year branched out to the Inter-Continental (which we enjoyed). This year I decided to surprise my husband by returning to Royalton, which was his favorite Midtown hotel many years ago -- around 1997 or 1998 -- when he was working at a law firm and spending a lot of time in NY (we live in Maryland). I had visited one weekend when he couldn't come home given work demands. I had little experience with boutique hotels back then, and Royalton made a positive impression with its chic, sleek modern design and comfortable beds.

I've traveled a lot more in the 15+ years since, and been fortunate to stay in some lovely properties domestically and abroad. Yet the more mature, "worldly" me enjoyed Royalton as much as my late-20's self did. The hotel had been renovated, apparently in 2007, and nicely maintained the sleek, minimalist look. The bed was wonderfully comfortable; just-right weight down comforter, quality, smooth linens. Good, thick towels, and the oversized towels with the "discoesque" mirrored tile backsplash was a treat. While I didn't use it the mini-bar was very well stocked, and there was a separate box of novelty items (gym clothes info, intimacy kit, etc.), that, while I didn't use it, was fun and added to the boutique feel. Iimportantly, the service at the property was outstanding. The staff were all friendly, helpful, and came across as genuinely interested in us having a great stay. The concierge gave good advice fe. restaurants. We received a complimentary upgrade to a deluxe room, which felt like a comfortable size (the beds was queen rather than king, which helped).

There are things one could quibble with: the carpet was not in particularly good shape, the view was interior, the halls weren't all that well-lit as other reviewers noted. But honestly, none of those things bothered me or detracted from the stay. We did almost have an issue when I had to change my arrival date due to the press of work and didn't realize changes are supposed to be by 6 pm the day before, not of, to avoid penalties. I called around 7:45 the day before to the main Morgan Hotels number, and the gentleman with whom I spoke was not exactly sympathetic. However, he transferred me to Royalton, and the representative with whom I spoke waived the fee, which I appreciated. Again, there's excellent service at the property.

The midtown location was also great. Close to Broadway (we saw three shows in 2 days, so cared about proximity) but not being in Times Square ended up leading us to explore more. We spent a lovely afternoon in Central Park, for example.

Very positive experience. We won't wait 15 years to go back! Thanks to the very professional staff!

Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for such a fabulous review. It is so great to hear that you and your husband have been staying with us for so long, and that we still manage to “wow” you. I hope you will visit New York again soon for another Broadway show and a great stay in midtown with us.
Edison, New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2013

I was looking forward to my recent stay at the Royalton since online reviews seemed genuinely positive, however, my stay did not meet my expectations.

Upon arrival the front desk attendee was assisting another client. Literally 5+ minutes later he was still assisting the same client and now there were 3 people behind me also waiting to check in. Were they short-staffed? Was no one else available to call for help?

The room (#408) was simple / basic but the amenities were below par. The alarm clock looked like something you would buy at a $1 store, the wall mounted TV repeatedly had what appeared to be some type of interference as lines kept appearing on the screen, the TV remote had no problems changing the channels in a (-) direction but would not work in a (+) direction, the “free” internet was slow and did not work one of the nights I was there (I’m assuming the internet connection customers paid for was better but that’s just an assumption), the lighting in the room (and bathroom) was atrocious (at least from a business travelers perspective), the shelves near the bed headboard which stored the clock & phone were dusty. On the other hand, the bathroom was aesthetically appealing, the shower had a large showerhead and the water pressure was great.

Perhaps the hotel just had a bad week.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
victoriastewart, General Manager at Royalton New York Hotel, responded to this review, August 5, 2013
I am so sorry to hear that your stay at Royalton did not meet your expectations. It sounds like all of the small touches in your room added up and affected your experience. We constantly strive to provide exceptional guest experience, and apologize that you felt your stay was average. I hope you’ll give us a second chance and stay with us again so that we may wow you.
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2013

The BF, now the husband, and I stayed at the Royalton from the 25th to the 31st. From the moment we arrived we were greeted by the friendly doormen. The building is beautiful and when the doors open you are ushered into a cool dark swanky place. It oozes coolness.. Great first impression. Then the check in process was so simple. The gal at the front desk was friendly and cheerful. I told her it was my birthday and we were getting married on Monday and she bent over backwards to make our stay great. The staff was fantastic. Friendly, courteous and very professional.

The room was a minimalist dream. We had an upgraded room and there was more than enough room for the both us plus our considerable luggage.

The bathroom was nice but the best part was the shower. I could have stayed under the torrent of water for hours. Plus the toiletries are wonderful.

One day after shopping we wanted a drink. The bartender was not there so the bar manager came over and made us the drinks himself. He was very fun, personable and cute..

Every time we left and came back, we were greeted with the same warm smiles and a level of friendliness I was unsure existed in New York.

So I have a few tips:
1. If you complain about dark or minimal, this is not the place for you.
2. If you are bothered by chic coolness, this is not the place for you.
3. If you expect a coffee maker or ice machine or coke machine, the do yourself a favor and stay at a Holiday Inn Express.
4. For the people who complain about the unfriendly staff, have you ever considered that perhaps they are only reacting to you? Perhaps if you are kind and friendly, you would get it in return.

For the rest of us, do yourself a favor and check in and enjoy it. We did. Now we will never stay anywhere else in Manhattan again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Wow – thank you for such an amazing review. We are thrilled you had such a memorable stay with us. I am so pleased that from the moment you walked in to Royalton you were swept away. I hope you had a great birthday, and an even better wedding day! We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Been to Royalton New York Hotel? Share your experiences!