“If you like Morgan's Hotels, it's fine.” 3 of 5 stars

Up to 25% off, Book Today
Ranked #166 of 463 Hotels in New York City
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Charlotte, North Carolina
“If you like Morgan's Hotels, it's fine.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013

I stay in a lot of places in NY so have a good basis for comparison. I've stayed a few others from this group and they are pretty much the same. They are hip with very small rooms and great bars. The Royalton was the same. The lobby is great, although pretty much just one big bar with a desk to chck in. The elevators are tiny and slow (it's an old building). The hallways are very tight and a little dingy (for this caliber of hotel). The rooms are pretty small. For NY they are are not the smallest but you get a double bed, a small desk and a couch against the far wall. Not a lot of extra room to walk around. The bathroom is also small with one small sink and very little place to place toilettries. The shower is quite roomy and was very nice with great water pressure. The AC was very loud and the street noise (I was on 10 on the 44th street side) was pretty loud (when not being drowned out by the AC). The gym is also tiny. THey had 3 treadmills and a weights area. With two people on treadmills and one person lifting weights, there was no room for me to stretch so had to go back to the room.

They give you and IPAD to access the hotel services which is cool but the battery was dead when I arrived and it took forever to charge it enough with the included charger to even get it to start up. The second day it had died again and when charged would not log in so I didn't get a chance to use it. I did try the first night to order room service but the menu is VERY limited which was disappointing since I didn't want to go out the first night. All in all, it has a great reputation and therefore was disappointing. I wouldn't avvoid staying here again since it's close to work, but I would choose many hotels over this one.

Room Tip: Get a high floor on the 43rd street side.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
victoriastewart, General Manager at Royalton New York Hotel, responded to this review, June 28, 2013
Thank you for your review. I am glad you enjoyed our inviting lobby & bar, but I am sorry your overall stay at Royalton did not live up to your expectations. We have the privilege of being in a building with a lot of history behind it, but what comes along with that are the smaller than usual elevators and corridors that feel narrow. I hope you’ll give us another chance to see the charm in our wonderful hotel and enjoy our central location.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (253)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

We just got back from our 25th Wedding Anniversary celebration where we stayed at the Royalton Hotel in New York City. The hotel is amazing. We stayed in a Deluxe Queen room. The lighting in the hotel and the room itself makes for a very romantic environment. The bed was extremely comfy, and the GIANT round soaking tub and heavenly rainfall shower allowed us to truly "celebrate" our 25th anniversary better than we could have imagined. There are candles in both the room area and the soaking tub area as well as dimmers for the lighting. We snuggled next to each other in the tub and reminisced about our 25 years together for at least an hour. It was SO relaxing. I can't imagine ever staying at another hotel in New York now that we've experienced the Royalton. We have a nice bed at our house just like so many hotels, but the tub and shower and lighting were just a fantastic and one-of-a-kind treat. My wife loves the city. I prefer the suburbs. But now that we have discovered the Royalton, I'm more than happy to venture into the city with my wife now that we have such a great place to stay.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Happy Anniversary! I am so pleased we were able to be a part of your celebration. It sounds like you had a memorable time with us and enjoyed the luxurious amenities in our guest rooms. We look forward to your next trip into New York City and another great stay with us.
Mississauga, Ontario
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

Second stay was booked through the same site - hotwire.com. Great rates, same excellent service, great location, clean and comfortable suites.

The staff was always willing to help out, be it with room cleaning, toiletries or directions. They always ask how things are when you meet them. Checking in and out is speedy and no fuss.

Getting around the city is a breeze because of the hotel's central location. Even my parents who are in their late 70's didn't find the walks to Central Park, Times Square, Fifth Avenue shops and metro stations hard.

Definitely staying here again.

Room Tip: Pick rooms away from the elevators
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for another wonderful review. I am thrilled to hear your second stay with us was just as enjoyable as the first. It sounds like you really took advantage of our prime location and had the change to enjoy our great guest rooms. We look forward to your next visit with us.
Ann Arbor, Michigan, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013

First, of course, the cons: it's dark in the lobby (however, after a few hours on the streets of NYC it's nice for your brain to rest for a few minutes), it's expensive (you get what you pay for), it's a little banged-up (a few stains here and there in the rooms, furniture nicked-up, etc.)

Now, the pros: great location, great bathrooms, great staff, pretty darn romantic.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
victoriastewart, General Manager at Royalton New York Hotel, responded to this review, June 20, 2013
Thank you for your review. I am thrilled to hear our wonderful team and romantic ambiance won you over. I’m sorry our low lighting levels seemed a bit dark, but you are absolutely right about it being a welcomed break from the busy streets of New York. I hope you’ll be back to visit us again soon.
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

We recently stayed overnight for a quick city getaway. Visually we loved the design of the hotel, dark, Paul Evens-esque and womb like common space somehow suited the mood. The corner room is very spacious and well designed with dark toned everything as well. The shower is very 70s glamor. Besides all the design element, the hotel room is well equipped with very comfortable beds and all the amenities one would expect. Location is very convenient for Mid-town with 5th Ave being a block away.
One incident I want to mention was that in the middle of the night we woke up from a strong exhaust odor in the room and called the front desk. It turned out that they were power washing the building next door and the fume wafted into our room. We were given another room on the other side of the building. This did interrupt our sleep, I must say, but to be fair, it was a one-off thing and they staff handled it professionally.

Room Tip: Ask for high floor.
Manchester, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013 via mobile

I love , and I mean love Morgans hotels, I've stayed at 5 and my mission before 40 is to stay at all of them , I'd say I've spent the same cash with them as a small car would cost but hey it's worth it their so cool and service led.

So why the 1 star, I came home my bank and there were 2 charges , one for the room and 1 for the mini bar , so what did I have for 5 dollars , some hand made chocolates ? A can of beer or a miniature vodka ? No I had a dollar candy bar ... A snickers bar.

It's not the price it's the blatant day light robbery , I booked a suite this does not mean I'm willing to pay a mark up of 400%.

Well Morgan's you made a 4 dollar profit and lost a customer for life.

• Stayed June 2013
I am pleased to see that you’ve rated our service and cleanliness top notch as we strive continually to provide exceptional guest experiences. I am sorry you felt our minibar prices were unfair. The minibar is an amenity we provide to our guests and while we do recognize that some items can be at a premium price, we clearly list all prices so guests may be aware prior to purchase. I apologize that this affected your stay so much, and I hope your loyalty to Morgans Hotel Group will continue as we provide great guest experiences.
London, England
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013

Royalton clearly goes in for the minimalist look, but they do tend to take it to extremes. We only had a standard room (and that was expensive enough) so I can't comment on the deluxe ones, but ours was bare (apart from a flat screen TV), without what I consider to be essentials for a longer stay such as in room coffee making and some drawers, and very dark as it looked onto a wall. It was also quite small (yes, I know NY rooms generally are). A good feature was the large bathroom with walkin rainhead shower. As you enter the foyer it is quite difficult to locate the check in desk which is just a black hole, and the concierge sits behind a small desk. Lifts are small to the point of claustrophobia, ditto the hotel corridors. It just felt like doom and gloom the whole time we were there which was several days. A very bright spark was the excellent and popular bar which runs right the length of the foyer where the staff on the whole (special mention to Caitlin here) were helpful and chatty. We had dinner the first night in Forty-four, the hotel restaurant and one breakfast there, both very good so the amenities outside the room were more than OK. Good location on W44th.

Room Tip: Don't pick a standard - splurge on a deluxe.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
I am happy you enjoyed your stay at Royalton. It sounds like you were able to take advantage of our popular lobby bar Forty Four, and our central location in midtown. I apologize you did not enjoy our low lighting; our overall ambiance has been designed to create a quiet oasis in the center of the bustling metropolis that is New York City. I hope you’ll join us again soon so you may enjoy our relaxing showers and comfortable beds again.

Been to Royalton New York Hotel? Share your experiences!