“A very disappointing experience” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Royalton New York Hotel

You added Royalton New York Hotel to your Saves list
Royalton New York Hotel
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   44 West 44th Street, New York City, NY 10036 (Manhattan)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Up to 25% off, Book Today
Ranked #182 of 459 Hotels in New York City
London
“A very disappointing experience”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

In attempting to be uber chic, this hotel missed the mark on a number of counts.

The whole hotel is set with "mood" lighting - by which I mean it was deliberately very dark and left me in a mood as I found it to too dark to navigate around the hotel & room. It was worse than being in a Hollister store!

Rooms were supposed to be equipped with ipads for computer access. With none in my room, I attempted to use my own device only to be presented with an online request for payment at which point I passed. Next day I complained and was given a free wifi code.

The room was small, with little light. Bed ok. But the disaster was the aircon/heating - the heating value was stuck so that on the first night despite setting the room temperature for 19c, it was actually 27c in the room and too hot to get much sleep. Naturally I called maintenance who undertook to fix it after telling me the system was old and the values were often faulty/sticking. Returning late the next night, having been assured it was fixed the same thing happened and so I endured 2 nights without much sleep.

Shan't be returning.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
victoriastewart, General Manager at Royalton New York Hotel, responded to this review, April 22, 2013
My sincere apologies for the problems you experienced with your air conditioner during your stay. Every once and a while things happen outside of our control and we do our best to correct them in a timely manner. I am sorry your air conditioner was not fixed by your second night; I hope you’ll give us a second chance so that we may show you what a true Royalton experience is like.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (232)
Newmarket, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

I stayed recently stayed here with my sister and daughter. The rooms are very small, but is it to be expected in NYC. Very clean, modern.

I loved that they provided us with our own iPad in the room to use for the duration of our stay!!! That was awesome as they had their Royalton app on it and it helped us to decide what restaurants to eat at, where to shop and what is around on maps, pictures etc. Very useful!!

They do provide wifi for a minimal fee. And everything in the room you would expect from a hotel plus more.

It was something like a 5 minute walk to Times Square!

We saw some celebrities here and I was even chatting with a couple not realizing who they were (The whole cast of Don't Trust the $&*^ in APT something, James Van Der Beek, Selma Blair and more!! Ha Ha. We found out later that it is a hot spot for them to stay or dine at the lounge in the lobby.Apparently Lady Gaga goes here sometimes (I am not sure if that entices or scares you....sorry..he he).

The food at the lounge was good but it was the ambiance which sold me! Lovely fireplace to sit by while you chat with friends over dinner! Loved it.

I recommend this hotel if you are not on a budget, like modern style rooms and want to be close to Times Square.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for your review – I am so pleased to hear you and your family had such a great stay. It sounds like our central location and popular lobby bar really made your stay special. We appreciate your recommendation and look forward to welcoming you back again soon.
Wayland, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

European quality, small rooms with very contemporary furnishings, lots of chrome and glass. Very clean but not spacious enough. Cocktail lounge was welcoming and romantic. Restaurant for breakfast was charming.

• Stayed April 2013
Thank you for your review. I am pleased you enjoyed our overall décor and welcoming lobby. I hope you’ll join us again soon.
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

I'm torn on this hotel..in terms of rooms, we stayed in 2 very different room types at each end of our trip. The first was pretty bad - hardly any natural light, no storage, very noisy aircon and a weird frame around the bed that I managed to bang my head on twice!

The second must have been a higher grade of room and was much nicer - actual daylight, newer bathroom and the 'shoreditch chic' decor actually worked in here as opposed to the first room where it just felt oppressive.

The lobby is the bit that puzzles me most. If it were just a bar I was visiting I'd be fine with it - dimly lit, funky modern fireplaces and decor, pulsating music and plenty of nooks and crannies with nice leather chairs.

BUT as a hotel guest it was actually quite stressful trying to navigate the music and dim lighting to find the main desk whilst complete with suitcases! And even as you check in you're literally shouting at the person behind the desk so they can hear you. Bit bizarre, and at the risk of sounding like my Mum it really was excessively loud!

Breakfast is also a fortune - $22 for a single continental breakfast which consisted of orange juice, coffee and a very petite selection (3 or 4) of mini pastries. Get it included or go elsewhere.

Room Tip: Try for a higher floor, away from elevator. And bathtub rooms (whilst you get a round bath and quit...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review, I am sorry to hear you did not leave your stay with an overwhelmingly positive review. We realize that our overall ambiance is not for everyone, but we do strive to provide a comfortable guest experience to everyone that stays with us. I hope you’ll give us another chance to place you in a comfortable room for you to enjoy.
Baltimore, Maryland, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

It is an excellent boutique hotel, with a great lobby bar area, very friendly and accommodating staff and well appointed rooms. As for the rooms, the are romantic with working fireplaces (that burn real wood!), to candles that can be lit to very large soaking tubs that easily fit two. They even thought of having a good lit up shaving mirror! Great quality soaps and shampoos too.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
victoriastewart, General Manager at Royalton New York Hotel, responded to this review, April 10, 2013
Thank you for your review; I am thrilled to hear how much you enjoyed our guest rooms. It sounds like you really appreciated all of the details we put into our rooms and I hope you’ll stay with us again soon.
Los Angeles, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

There's no other way to put it... It's depressing. Or maybe it's that I like Hotels with Light and life in them. The front desk receptionist, I felt like I was bothering the person and she seemed both new and not very friendly. Although I can see where some hipsters may like the Dark Shadows vibe but it doesn't seem hip or cool, new or witty. The dark putrid blue color in the hallways are so uninviting... Rowan and Williams set like atmosphere is just that. Don't get a room too high as I am on the top floor, the noise from the building next doors air conditioners is both noisy and making a crackling sound, so If you do find yourself here bring ear plugs. The cocktail waitress apparently was very tired as she was exhausted and it should showed in her practically ignoring us. Excuse me but all we wanted to do is buy cocktails and food and spend money at your hotel... Now all is not lost as the porter and house keeping were very friendly and efficient. Lastly, coming back from a stroll around the block the doorman stepped outside not to open the door for us but to chat with the unfriendly receptionist and let us to open the doors ourselves... If I wasn't here on business and staying with other work mates I would check out.

Room Tip: Choose rooms on mid level and double check exterior noise level. Don't expect warm high level ho...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
My sincere apologies that you did not enjoy your stay with us and that you found our décor depressing. We realize that our overall ambiance is not for everyone, and we appreciate your feedback. We do strive to provide exceptional service, and from your comments it sounds as though we missed the mark with your stay. I hope you’ll consider staying at one of our sister properties with Morgans Hotel Group the next time you are in the city.
Scottsdale
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

I visited New York on business and took my grown daughters along for some fun. We were pleasantly surprised at this hideaway, which is located in great proximity to Times Square and walking distance to Central Park without being right in the center of all the noise.

We were greeted by the valets, who called us by name throughout our visit. We also found several other staff members quite helpful in giving us directions, taking care of every need with respect to our room and even handling a late night business printing request.

This hotel definitely has a cool factor and was a welcome change from the standard fare. I'm planning to go back and take my husband.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
I am so delighted to hear that you and your daughters had such a great time at Royalton. If sounds like you really took advantage of our central location and that our team made your stay special. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon with your husband.

Been to Royalton New York Hotel? Share your experiences!