“a real find” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Royalton New York Hotel

You added Royalton New York Hotel to your Saves list
Royalton New York Hotel
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   44 West 44th Street, New York City, NY 10036 (Manhattan)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Up to 25% off, Book Today
Ranked #184 of 459 Hotels in New York City
Santa Fe, New Mexico
“a real find”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

I knew nothing about this hotel until I was booked into it on a recent business trip. Located midway down 44th Street between 5th and 6th Avenues, its front is so unprepossessing it's easy to miss (my cab driver certainly did). Once inside the doors, however, a whole world of luxury opens up. The open plan lobby/bar/restaurant is dark-panelled and sinuously curved, a triumph of modern design in what must have been a blocky functional building. The reception desk inside a cutout niche in the wall is a trifle much, but the staff is gracious and helpful, and the rooms -- well, suffice it to say I've never had a better sleep in a hotel room anywhere. For those who like a late-night scene, the lobby bar doesn't disappoint. Just make sure to flag down a server the moment you get there and keep an eye on them so they don't go missing.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
victoriastewart, General Manager at Royalton New York Hotel, responded to this review, November 16, 2012
We are thrilled that you have finally found us. I am so happy to hear that we won you over from the moment you walked in our doors. We look forward to welcoming you back again and again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (217)
Charlotte, North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

This hotel is in a great location but has some significant drawbacks. The first is the lobby, which is very warm due to the fireplaces everywhere. When its cold outside that would be nice, but when its 75 outside it does't make a lot of sense. The lobby/bar is trying hard to be very hip. It is without doubt the loudest hotel lobby/bar area I have ever experienced. The AC in my room also did not work, but didn't have a chance to call maintenance.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for your review; I am sorry to hear we did not meet your expectations. With regards to our lobby, it does include our grand fireplace that was lit in mid October to prepare for the fall/winter seasons. New York City’s fall weather can be hard to predict and we do our best to create a welcoming ambiance. I hope you’ll join us again to get a true Royalton experience.
London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

As you will see from the title of this review, the staff were excellent (very helpful, very pleasant, and very informative); and the lobby area which houses the bar and lounge is great (large fires behind glass hearths). However, once you enter the lifts, you enter a different world: dim lighting, not great decor and narrow corridors. The rooms are ok but no better. The suites are the ones to go for.

Room Tip: Do not choose a "courtyard" room: they face the back, are dark and not terribly appealing...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for your review. I am so pleased to hear that our team made a lasting impression and that you had the chance to enjoy our lounge. My apologies that you did not enjoy the overall décor of your room, but I hope you’ll join us again soon in one of our spacious suites.
Banchory, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012

Excellent hotel from start to finish. Well located in Midtown just a couple of blocks from Times Square. Great service throughout our week long stay. Rooms are a little dimly lit, and the bar is very noisy and dark. The noise is due to the popularity with the locals after work during the week. One of the most comfortable beds I have ever slept in! We would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: We had a 14th floor room which meant no traffic noise, I would recommend asking for a high room.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
I am so pleased you had such a great stay from the moment you walked in until you left. It is also always great to hear that our beds are the most comfortable! We look forward to welcoming you back soon.
new england
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012

Nice boutique hotel in a great location. The bar, lounge is awesome with great service. It is a dark place and the rooms don't have good lighting - which is ok with me. The only negative I have is that I upgraded to a business package deal to get 1) an upgrade to the room 2) passes to Equinox gym 3) free breakfast and 4) free wi fi for a higher price. I didn't really care about the wi fi and am not a breakfast person but I was excited to try the Equinox nearby and get a room upgrade. The person at the front desk didn't even know I had upgrade to this particular package..... I had to tell her and then when she looked at the computer she seemed to know. She promptly gave me my passes to Equinox and my breakfast vouchers.

Unfortunately there was no room upgrade. I specifically asked her what time I could use the breakfast vouchers and she said 8-12, When I went down at 11:15 day 2 they said the voucher was only good until 11a. Oops. They were nice enough to rebound and make accomodations for her misinformation and I got a nice breakfast.

The Bose system also did not work in the room and i had no music to listen to. When I called to ask if I was doing something wrong to engage it, I was told "i'll call you back" and got no call back.

Overall the room was ok for NYC and the location was good and the gym was sufficient. I would say the the bar/restaurant staff make this place one to go back to.

Room Tip: I suggest a quite room on a high floor if possible
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review. I apologize for the confusion in regards to your room package and our breakfast times. It sounds like we missed the mark a few times during your stay. I hope you’ll give us a second chance so that we may give you a proper Royalton experience.
Ascot, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012

I normally stay at the Sofitel across the road but found only very expensive (+600 dollars a night) rooms this time. I tired this hotel on a colleagues recommendation. Completely different. If you love the Sofitel you will hate this. More noise. More people. Bigger bar/social area. Charming rooms for meeting and having a few beers. Bed room was large, modern, and well equipped. Service was friendly and relaxed/casual. Price was 30% less than Sofitel.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
victoriastewart, General Manager at Royalton New York Hotel, responded to this review, October 22, 2012
Thank you for your review. I am glad you enjoyed our comfortable rooms, friendly staff and welcoming bar/lounge. I hope you will join us again the next time you are in town.
Brussels, Belgium
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012

It was an amazing stay. The lobby was really nice and warm. The room was well furnished with the use of a complimentary ipad. I recommend you to book the room with the soaking tub ... it's simply a must.
The hotel is well located, few minutes away from time square.
The staff was very friendly and helpful

Room Tip: Take the room with the soaking tub!!!
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
I am so happy to hear you had an amazing stay at Royalton. It sounds like you really had a chance to enjoy our in room amenities such as the complimentary iPads and five foot round soaking tub. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Been to Royalton New York Hotel? Share your experiences!