“Disappointing” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Loews Regency New York Hotel

You added Loews Regency New York Hotel to your Saves list
Loews Regency New York Hotel
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   540 Park Ave, At 61st Street, New York City, NY 10065 (Upper East Side)   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Summer Like A Local
Ranked #23 of 464 Hotels in New York City
“Disappointing”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

We have stayed in many luxurious hotels world wide and this was a disappointment. The extremely small size of the bathroom was unreal for this kind of a property. The room was ok. Hotel is newly remodeled and clean and fresh.

Room Tip: Try to get a room with a larger bathroom
  • Stayed May 2015, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (100)
Sao Paulo, SP
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

The hotel rates in NY are so outrageous that I decided to use a hotel booking website for the first time. I was prepared for the worst, but Loews Regency ended up being a pleasant surprise.
The hotel is not huge, therefore you don't feel like a number. Service was attentive and efficient. My room had a decent size (everything in NY is so tiny!) and bathroom was squeaky clean.
Best location I ever had in NY. You're away from midtown buzz but close enough you can walk to the park, shops and restaurants. Subway is a couple of blocks away, also very convenient.

• Stayed May 2015, traveled solo
LA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

The hotel is located at 61st & Park - very convenient to restaurants, museums, Central Park and shopping. All around a great hotel at "reasonable" prices for New York. Easy location to grab a cab.

Check-in: Porter helped with our bags and took us to check-in. Got a King size bed on high floor (non-smoking) as requested. Really fast elevators to the room.

Room: Fairly large - guessing 350 /400 sq. ft. - very updated contemporary design - refreshing. King size bed, down comforter with really soft sheets and big foam pillows. 2 side tables, good size desk with ample electrical outlets, small sitting area. TV (lots of free HBO and Showtime channels), Mini-bar, safe, iron + board and 2 large closets - I mean really roomy for NY!

Bathroom: A little cramped considering how big the bedroom was - but modern. Speakman shower with limiter - good hot water. The usual assortment of shampoo, conditioner, soap etc. Lots of really thick towels. TV in bathroom mirror with remote… you could watch from the tub.

Restaurant / Bar: Ate there for dinner and breakfast - good menu assortment, excellent service and the high New York prices as expected. If you want a bit more variety try the basement of the Plaza Hotel (59th & Central Park South) - there is a ton of casual restaurants / marketplace down there… open to about 9 PM.

Common Space: There is a very comfortable lounge / lobby area by check-in. Very relaxing to wait for colleagues etc.

Room Tip: High Floor facing 61st Street
  • Stayed May 2015, traveled on business
Wauwatosa, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

This hotel is well-located and beautiful. The staff was very patient with my family and other relations who were in town for a wedding, some of whom proved to be very high maintenance, including one family member who changed rooms multiple times (yikes, sorry – this may be who the person in the previous review is referring to as hard to please in any setting – Lol). The fitness center is a great asset. The treadmills are not the best, but not the worst, as I would have loved to be able to type in my desired speed instead of having to use the arrow up/down for intervals. However, overall it is extremely nice to even have a gym on-site, especially one that is 24-hours, with water and towels provided. The coffee shop attached to hotel is very convenient and quite good (you go out of the lobby and its entry is around the corner). I visited the salon on multiple occasions for updos and makeup application, and it was also very good. Sandrine was excellent. I had looked forward to taking advantage of the Fiat or house car service, but it didn’t work out timing-wise, so cannot comment on that, but I feel like it is a great value-add to this hotel.

I will say, however, that there are some things that were amiss for me.

For example, on the hotel website, in the lobby, and in my confirmation email, “discounted two hour pressing of two garments” is listed. However, there is a major disconnect in that the concierge and front desk were clueless about this, as was the valet when I was transferred to him, so I still have no idea how that is supposed to work. I ended up just paying full price to press two suits as I was unable to take advantage of that perk. The valet was quick to retrieve the suits from us, and returned them quickly, as well, so that was great. I think it came out to $42 per suit, which is actually pretty reasonable for full price pressing in a hotel (or maybe that was the discounted price? I have no idea as it was completely unclear).

Secondly, I typically love to order room service my first night in town, and expect to pay a premium, but decided to forego it this trip as it is an extraordinarily expensive room service menu. For example, after delivery and gratuity, it costs $23.80 for a glass of orange juice. I feel like it had better be squeezed by fairy children for that price, but it is possible that I am just getting old and am not up on pricing at my ripe old age (I’m 32), plus this is NYC.

In terms of the rooms, I stayed in a king room with interior view, but was able to see quite a few of the different rooms because I was there for a family wedding, and a few of the related events took place at the hotel. The tub in the bohemian suite was absolutely amazing – soooo deep! In the regular rooms, the bathrooms have either tubs with shower heads or walk-in showers. Our room had very ample closet space (two closets, one with a safe), which was wonderful, but there was no working fan in the bathroom. Additionally, I am not a huge fan of the mini-bar system with weight sensors, as I would have liked to chill a couple of pressed juices, but probably should just have requested a separate fridge be brought up, which I didn’t take the time to do (a family member did that and it worked great for them).

The maids were really friendly and I liked them a lot, but I did get walked in on twice while in various states of undress, despite the do not disturb sign on the door (although, to be fair, my schedule was really erratic and it must have been hard to predict when I would be in or out – I think they may have been more upset about it than me, but still …)

For me, there were two standout employees at the front desk who were great. Unfortunately, their names escape me, but both were females with dark hair, one who worked afternoons/evenings and one who worked mornings – so great, friendly, and helpful!!!

Over the years, I have stayed in a lot of higher-end hotels, some of which I have reviewed on here, and I tend to prefer the more boutique brands like Loews, so I had been very excited for this trip, but I was kind of surprised to run into multiple things that turned me off. I feel like I am not particularly demanding and I understand how busy hotels like this get, especially with demanding clientele who take priority. However, in the end, it was a lovely visit and I would return again if it turns out to be convenient to my trip plans, but with somewhat lowered expectations.

• Stayed May 2015, traveled with family
James M, General Manager at Loews Regency New York Hotel, responded to this review, 4 days ago
daz709 Thank you for such an even handed review. I appreciate your candor and will be sharing with all concerned. First and foremost, let me apologize for the team's lack of knowledge regarding 'Pressed for Time', our discounted pressing service. We've had this in place for quite a while, but clearly some retraining is necessary. Room service is expensive in New York City - and to be honest, this is not a major profit center for me. We keep our pricing competitive to the market, but I do understand the sticker shock. (My cousin stayed here recently and blasted me for the same thing!) I appreciate your letting me know of all the team members who helped, even the housekeepers who walked in on you. I am proud of the employees that work here and will be diligent in working towards a five star review from you on your next visit. Please contact me directly before you next come to New York.

The wedding group was really fun and it seems everyone enjoyed themselves. Have a great summer.

Jim
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago NEW

Staff was great in every way. They were even patient in dealing with some guests who seemed hard to please in any setting.Rooms were large and very clean and kept that way. The evening room service would not accept tips--kudos to them. We found it to be a wonderful location. Concierge Ela took wonderful care of us. Only criticism would be average service, time wise , in the bar.

Room Tip: We were on an upper floor.
  • Stayed May 2015, traveled as a couple
Kristi B, Public Relations Manager at Loews Regency New York Hotel, responded to this review, 6 days ago
Thank you so much for your feedback Carol G. We are thrilled to hear you enjoyed your stay and were well looked after by our team members. We will certainly take note of the slower service in the bar that you mentioned and pass this on as constructive criticism to our team. We hope to welcome you back again soon!
Paoli, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago NEW

Though our room was nice and the front desk staff are always lovely, we count on being able to have a nice breakfast, lunch or drink in the hotel as well. In the past, the service in the restaurant was good, not always great, but at least average or better. This last time we stayed here, the restaurant service was truly awful. We got a table, but it went downhill from there. We had to track down a waiter for a menu, then to order, then for a refill on coffee, etc. When we had drinks after a show, it took way too long to order, then to get our check. I don't think that ignoring the customer is the standard for Loews, but it certainly happened more that once on our last stay, so, my new rating for the hotel is "3" though the restaurant would be a "1" and the hotel a "4" if they were separated.

Room Tip: Ask for either a street view onto Park Ave or a quiet room, depending on what you enjoy. The front d...
  • Stayed May 2015, traveled as a couple
James M, General Manager at Loews Regency New York Hotel, responded to this review, 6 days ago
D M - Please accept my most sincere apology that you had such a less-than-stellar restaurant experience. I will certainly be speaking with our restaurant partner and sharing your critique. It is incumbent upon every team member to deliver first class service. This is embarrassing and I will take corrective action. I am heartened to hear you enjoyed the hotel and hope to meet you on your next trip. Notify me upon check in and I'll be certain to personally oversee your entire experience.

Warmly,

Jim
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago NEW

Stayed here a couple times.

Pretty good midtown location at 61/Park. Not too far from subway.

Good value for price.

My only gripe is that I'd like to see coffee maker in room,
and I hate the minifridge that has the movement sensors, so that you can't even add your own beverage without getting charged for something you didn't consume.

The fitness center is pretty well stocked (only gripe there is consistent with just about every other hotel: the big balance/medicine balls are underinflated)

Staff was friendly.

• Stayed May 2015, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for the feedback RSL. We're happy to hear you enjoyed your stay. We'll definitely take a look at those medicine balls in the Fitness Center and ensure they are well inflated. We don't provide coffee makers in the rooms, but we do have them on request should you require one, so please do let us know next time. We hope to welcome you back again soon!

Been to Loews Regency New York Hotel? Share your experiences!