“Beautiful hotel in which to be robbed blind...” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Loews Regency Hotel

You added Loews Regency Hotel to your Saves list
Loews Regency Hotel
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   540 Park Ave, At 61st Street, New York City, NY 10065 (Upper East Side)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Free Shuttle!
Ranked #21 of 457 Hotels in New York City
London
“Beautiful hotel in which to be robbed blind...”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

Please note that I am a very fair reviewer but my experience of this hotel is beyond anything. I would never stay at a Loews again.
I travelled with my two sisters as a present for my birthday. We'd initially booked a standard room but on arrival, my partner had paid a substantial amount to upgrade us to a Manhattan Suite. So far, so good? Suite was large and looked great but although three of us were staying, only cups/coffee/robes etc for two were provided. No big deal and quickly resolved.
I gave my card details when we checked in to cover incidentals. I had enough cash to settle whatever we might be charged for. One of the perks of the Manhattan Suites is the COMPLIMENTARY minibar. That's right, complimentary. States it clearly on Loews' website. What a shock when we came to check out.... More on that in a minute...
We'd had room service breakfast one morning, and although we knew we'd end up bleeding money for a couple of bowls of porridge, some fruit salads and orange juice, the $193.10 we were charged for it was a bit stunning. What was grossly insulting was the staff member adding his own $10 tip after I'd signed the check. Some might call that attempted theft...On top of the 21% service charge and $7 per head room service charge. A mystery few dollars appeared on a room service bill for tea as well, after my sister had signed for the check....
So, at the end of our trip, I asked to settle the bill the evening before we travelled as we had an early flight. I nearly asked for smelling salts when presented with a $647 minibar bill!!! What??
A)the mini bar is COMPLIMENTARY in the Manhattan Suite B) we'd double checked this with the staff member who came up with housekeeping the day before we checked out and C) the bill showed the whole contents of the minibar as a charge when we'd only had about half the items. Wish I'd had my wits about me and kept this first version of the bill, as, as soon as I queried it, the guy on the desk waived the charge and ripped the bill in half, binning it. Next version of the bill showed the creative accountancy done by whomever thought they'd add money to our room service bill after we'd signed the check. We were still reeling from the minibar bill, so immediately queried this. After a vague explanation suggesting it was down to the room service charge (err, no it wasn't, 21% of 150 something is not $10), this charge too was reduced to the correct amount. After several more versions, we eventually arrived at the correct charge for our incidentals - $207 and change, which I settled in cash. Didn't get a bill showing zero balance until I requested it, this was later sent up to my room. Was very concerned at the apparent lack of interest in the overcharging/attempted theft... Double checked that my card details would not be used and was assured I would not get any nasty surprises on my bank statement. Absolutely not, no way, said the guy on the desk. Uneasy, I went to my room.
So, just as we leave next morning, thinking I was being neurotic, I ask during checkout about the settlement of charges. I'm immediately presented with a bill for over $200. WHAT?!
I say I have a receipt showing zero balance. Oh, ok, of course, says the girl on the desk. Then says I owe nothing. I ask again, really worried now, if my card is going to be accidentally charged for things I've already paid for. Absolutely not, I'm told.
So, we get home last night. With a sinking feeling of inevitability, I check my bank account this morning. Sure enough, Loews have put through three separate charges, $75, $60 something and $90 something. I have absolutely no idea what they will say these charges relate to. I have already started a visa dispute.
It's not about relatively trivial amounts of money. It's the feeling of being robbed/mugged off.
Thank you, Loews Regency, for ruining my 40th birthday. You look great but it's all surface show.
I have travelled a lot, stayed in some very nice places, some average places and some pretty basic places. This is the first time I actually felt robbed.
Have tried to contact the hotel this morning. Would be very interested to see how they attempt to defend this.
Please read my other reviews - you'll see for yourself I'm very fair. If you go to Loews, be wary.

• Stayed February 2015, traveled with friends
James M, General Manager at Loews Regency Hotel, responded to this review, 2 days ago
SilverLadyLondon: I apologize for what seems to be a very unfortunate set of circumstances. Please contact me directly: jmcpartlin@loewshotels.com. I'll make short work of this and get you sorted immediately. You may be certain I will be reading your critique to my team at our morning line-up. This review is very disturbing and I am embarrassed. I do hope you had some fun in New York City. I'll look forward to speaking with you.

Warm regards -

Jim

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
London, Engalnd
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago via mobile

We stayed at the hotel over Thanksgiving. We had stayed at the hotel prior to the renovations, and were delighted to be back and see the tired old grand dame looking much better. This goes for the bar and restaurant above all else.

Posted a review whilst we were there, and included issues with some of the staff. A couple of months later, we must be honest and say that our excitement about being back in NYC and staying at The Regency, got in the way of making an objective review. You may see in other reviews I have been both happy to extoll the virtues of some hotels, and lambast others for poor quality of accommodation and service.

So on sober reflection, may I commend the Loews group for the renovation and respectfully suggest better staff selection and training.

Dr Laurence J Lando

Stayed November 2014, traveled as a couple
James M, General Manager at Loews Regency Hotel, responded to this review, 4 days ago
Dr. Lando: We always enjoy having you in house with us. I apologize for any transgressions in regard to service and hope you will feel comfortable contacting me directly. Thank you for your evenhandedness when it comes to writing a critique and for keeping us all on our toes. I look forward to seeing you here again soon, but perhaps wait until the tulips come in April. It is still a bit slushy here. Have a wonderful week -

Yours truly,

5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

I recently had a visit to Connecticut to see family, i always fly in and out of NYC. I love spending one night in the Big Apple before i fly back to LA. The Lowes Regency was pretty perfect for the night, the location was right near the park and the staff was very friendly and warm! The room was very comfortable and the drinks in the bar were delicious! I will be coming back to this hotel for sure!

• Stayed February 2015
Dolores L, Marketing Coordinator at Loews Regency Hotel, responded to this review, 1 week ago
Thank you @Sihunt81 for your review! We look forward to welcoming you back soon. We will be waiting for you with a cocktail in hand!
Orlando, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Staying at the Loews Regency Hotel in NYC was the worst hotel experience we have ever had. Beware!!! I would never ever stay here again. After arriving in the morning before check in was possible we dropped our bags off with the front desk and were given a ticket and assured they would be put away and safe. We left for lunch and walked around the city until check in was possible. Upon our return, we found our bags still sitting in the lobby on a cart many hours later and unattended. After check in, no assistance was offered and we hauled our own bags (2 adults / 2 children) from the lobby up to our 14th floor room. Great customer service on the first day NOT! This should have been our first indication of what was to come. Our trip was completely paid for ahead of our stay. Upon check in we were required to put a credit card on file. This is common practice, however, every night thereafter of our 3 night stay it was charged a pending authorization amount, and every night this amount was different. Upon questioning the front desk, we were told management would be notified and these pending authorizations would not continue, since our vacation was paid for and we were not charging hardly anything to our room. This was a lie, as the pending authorizations did continue and nothing was done about them. After checkout we paid for a small amount of hotel charges and traveled home. Three nights later, and after we returned home I noticed a charge of over $750 on my credit card. After further review, I realized the Loews Regency 3 days after we returned home charged me a second time for our stay. My husband and I called and spoke to Victoria the Assistant Front Office Manager, who clearly lacked experience, listening ability, and problem solving skills. Although she promised a refund, the time, energy, and effort spent on their error has been completely exhausting and ruined our experience. I have yet to see the refund, but know for sure I would never put myself or my family through the hassle of staying at this hotel again. There are plenty of other wonderful hotels in NYC. I hope no other travelers have to experience what we went through.

• Stayed February 2015, traveled with family
James M, General Manager at Loews Regency Hotel, responded to this review, 1 week ago
Catherine C: I apologize for the issues you endured and would welcome a chance to speak with you. I believe one message has been left, but we'll continue to try and make contact. I wish you safe travels home.

Cordially,

jmcpartlin@loewshotels.com
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Once again, this top notch all-star hotel has surpassed my expectations. I was only planning to be there for a couple days, when the January blizzard hit NYC. My flight was cancelled, and I had no choice but to be in the city for 3 more days!! Thankfully, I had been staying at the Regency. Their gracious staff immediately extended my reservation, and didn't even have me change rooms (despite them being fully booked!). Throughout my stay, they continued to check on me to be sure I had everything I might need during the storm. So I did what any stranded guest would do, I called room service, ordered some movies and snuggled up in my super cozy room (cozy meaning luxurious, b/c this room is spacious!). On one of the days, I spent the afternoon in the bar/restaurant area working where they've got wifi and more friendly staff. It's as if they were all staying in the hotel, too! I was so anxious to get back to the west coast, but I must say, this was the BEST alternative out there. And now I can't wait to go back.

• Stayed January 2015, traveled on business
Thank you @PoshTash for your review! We are glad you were able to get “snowed in” with us. We are so thrilled you made it home safe and sound, and we look forward to welcoming you back soon. We just ask if you could bring back some West Coast sunshine with you when you return?
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

The Regency is our favorite New York hotel, especially since its renovation. The staff is amazingly helpful and friendly, and you will be pampered. The hotel is conveniently located within walking distance of Central Park, shopping or Madison and 5th Avenues, restaurants galore on Lexington and side streets, and easy access to the rest of the City. The prices are reasonable given many of the rooms are oversized by New York standards. Staff turnover is very low, and once you are known, you are made to feel at home each time you enter the lobby when you are greeted personally by many staff members. A unique and wonderful experience - can't say enough.

Room Tip: Park Avenue views are best. Most rooms are quite given the complete renovation just completed.
  • Stayed February 2015, traveled as a couple
Thank you @Rich K for your review. We are so glad you enjoyed your stay, and we couldn’t agree more about our location.We are quite centrally located for shopping, restaurants, work and play! We hope to welcome you back soon!
North Palm Beach, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

I had the most special weekend! I came from Palm Beach, my first daughter flew in from Miami and my youngest daughter flew in from Minneapolis. The hotel was contrally located, the rooms were beautiful, and the bathrooms were large, marbled, and elegant. We had breakfast in the restaurant which was fantastic. The hotel provided private transportation both evenings when we were going to Broadway shows at no charge. Our rooms were cleaned morning and evening. The staff was fun, attentive, and helpful in planning things to do on a snowy day. We usually stay in the Ritz or the Mandarin but when we return in 6 months for a reunion weekend in New York, we all agreed we want to return to the Loews Regency.

Room Tip: I had a great view with lots of natural light. Luckily, the windows had electric black out curtains...
  • Stayed February 2015, traveled with family
Thank you @Lynda D for your review. We look forward to welcoming you back for another girl’s weekend!

Been to Loews Regency Hotel? Share your experiences!