“New York Hotel” 5 of 5 stars

Park To Park Package
Ranked #13 of 452 hotels in New York City
“New York Hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

Location excellent, rooms large & quiet, staff outstanding. I was here before the its renovation and now the hotel is even better. Staying on Park Ave. lets me walk to most all of mid town New York and walking in New York is part of the charm of being there.

210 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
Warwickshire, UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

Have to echo what a number of other reviews say - nice, but not as nice as I thought it would be from the website. I got a good deal on this hotel via Expedia, and for the price I paid (£190 a night, inc tax), it was pretty good. However, if I'd have paid regular price, I'd have been a little disappointed. My review is based on the price I paid, rather than the regular price, and I'd actually give 3.5 stars if possible - good but not very good.

Firstly, the good: room was a decent size for New York, exceptionally comfy bed, big HD TV in the room, nice bathroom with a tub and shower, plenty of power outlets in the room, and great, friendly porters and door men.

The not so good: In common with a couple of other reviewers, my first impression wasn't great. I arrived at 11:30 and was attended to by a very terse receptionist. It was all 'answers of one syllable only', no eye contact and really gave the impression that I was an annoyance rather than a guest. I was told that my room would be ready at 16:00 (I arrived at 11:30), and that I'd be called when it was ready, so I headed downtown for some lunch. 16:00 came and went with no call, so I walked back to the hotel, and was told (by a different receptionist) that my room had been ready for a while, but nobody had called to tell me. A bit annoying after a long flight when all you want to do is check in and grab a shower...

Other grumbles? The gym was out of use for the first 2 days I was there (no idea after that, I didn't check), due to water leaks, apparently. If I'd paid full price, the chips out of the marble in the shower, and the discoloured, rusty plug would be disappointing, as would my view over the fire escapes and air con units of a neighbouring building. The (very noisy) air conditioning wasn't working particularly well - during a 3 day stay, the room temperature never dropped below 73 degrees, despite the air con being on its coldest setting throughout. My room was pretty close to the lifts, and every time they arrived on our floor, the double bell was clearly audible (day and night). The free Fiat service was fully booked for the entire 3 nights / 4 days I was there, and that was common for a lot of guests I overheard trying to book. I appreciate that they are a limited availability service, but much is made of the service on the Loews website, and it seems that you need to book weeks or months in advance to make use of these, which kind of takes the spontaneity out of your visit. When I checked out, there was a random $35 minibar charge on my bill (I'd not even opened the door on the minibar after I found the prices!). The charge was removed, but I'm glad I checked my bill carefully...

All the niggles may sound minor, and for a £190 a night hotel, they are. However, this is marketed as a luxury hotel, and is priced accordingly (how about $33 for breakfast, $13 for a small pack of M&Ms from the minibar, and $12 for a regular bottle of still water..?!), so I think you're justified in expecting better.

Would I stay here again? Maybe, but it wouldn't be my first choice. In the same luxury class, I've stayed at better - the London NYC and the (amazing) Library Hotel are way better in my opinion, and similarly priced.

Don't get me wrong, this is a pretty good hotel, but it's not as good as it thinks it is. My experience with the front of house meant that I didn't feel particularly welcome, so didn't feel the inclination to try the (expensive) restaurant or bars - there are plenty of alternatives in the area. First impressions really do count.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the lifts - the arrival bell actually woke me up a couple of times on the f...
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled on business
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

Took my wife here for a weekend for her 50th birthday. A beautifully decorated nice sized room, very recently renovated with a comfy king bed and also very quiet. We had a nice view of nearby apartment buildings and water towers. It felt very New York. It's in a good central location close to Madison Avenue shops and an easy walk to the subway . The hotel had good service, nice lobby with a modern bar and restaurant although we didn't eat or drink there. A great place to stay if one is looking for a luxury hotel near Central Park. There is even a free car service to get you around but you do need to book ahead and the hours are limited.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Memphis, Tennessee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

this hotel has recently gone through a $100mm renovation - rooms and bathrooms are beautiful .
service was spotty
called 8-10 time to get a price list for the in room food/drinks/snacks - transferred to the front desk almost all of those times - finally solved the issue by catching a housekeeping staff on our floor.
other than that - service was pretty good. shined my shoes overnight, friendly breakfast faces and service, front desk friendly and concierge helpful Even got a ride int he new fiat 500 which was great.
conclusion is inconsistent execution. sometimes great, sometimes not. depends if you are calling or in person - fiat 500 was an added bonus awesome physical plant and

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

Good location, clean rooms, fast elevators, good revice, trendy bar. Near central park and upscale shopping. They gave us a free ride through a promotion. The service was superb at the restaurant, but the restaurant is very expensive. They have a casual cafe next door for a less expensive breakfast option.

Norfolk, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

Booked two superior king rooms for a weekend stay with family. Nothing really strikes you about the hotel - everything was strictly average. The rooms were clean with a view of industrial pipes. Wifi was included in the room price. The hotel advertises the 'free' fiat service - it is available for restricted hours and was never available when we wanted it. The guy at the fiat counter was more interested in my wife's ethnicity than trying to arrange a ride for us.
We discovered later that the hotel also has a house-car that can be used for transportation within 20 blocks, but we were never offered this service. Similarly, they have a 'turndown on request' - this was never offered - just bizzare.
We made the mistake of ordering a continental breakfast for 1 which consisted of 2 pieces of toast, hot water, 2 tea bags, cream and orange juice - a total charge of $43 on the final bill! May be OK for business travelers who are not paying out of pocket.
Overall poor value for money. Would not recommend or stay again.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Lake Macquarie, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

Booked by our travel agent, but very happy with the choice. The hotel room was spacious, modern and immaculate. Staff could not do enough for us, so helpful and nothing was any trouble. We were close to Central Park and a short walk to the subway.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Loews Regency Hotel? Share your experiences!