My family was invited to a dinner at Plaza Athenee and elected to stay there for convenience. On day of booking, standard room price on web site was $695, Orbitz was $595 and Hotels Tonight (that night only, 2 months before our date) had it for $375. I got "special" rate of $495. Opportunism in this business is rampant and annoying, but fleecing and lying are not.
First, the positive: Plaza A put on an excellent dinner in a private room. Food and service were excellent. Location on upper East side is fine.
Next, the medium: Rooms, furniture were OK. Rooms are small, fixtures are slightly worn and dated, lighting is dim, but OK.
Next, the real Plaza Athenee experience which was really unprofessional and awful:
We booked connecting rooms with standard 3PM checkin. At 3:15, one was ready and desk person (passing knowledge of English) said of second, "cleaners are in the room and it will be ready in 15 minutes". Wife went to first room, noted no cleaners in second room; I parked car and returned at 3:45. Still not ready. I asked if there was something else and was told only a 2 bedroom suite at $3500 per night. At 5:00 PM we saw bellman enter connecting room and remove luggage from prior occupant--no cleaning had been done. Finally ready at 5:30. The hotel lies.
Upon checkout the next day I looked at my bill to see charges as follows:
1. $26.00 for luggage help on the way in. I have never seen a charge for helping with luggage and if a hotel wants to charge, you might think they would tell you in advance. Not the Plaza A. Remember, it is unprofessionally run and just wants as much of your money as it can get.
2. $28.00 for luggage help on the way out.
3. $58.00 for parking a car when I had parked the car myself at a garage a block away
4. Two $8.00 charges for minibar. Not only did we have nothing, we had actually had housekeeping empty the minibar so we could use the frig for storing food for children. So there was not even one item in the room--still they charged.
Think this is just a fluke? One member of our group removed a glass from her minibar to use for water and was charged $14.10. Another had a "bellman charge" of $5.00 with no idea why. This latter person never booked the special rate of $495 and instead got a room on Orbitz for $434.
If you are thinking about staying at this hotel, prepare to find an "OK" physical plant operated by an unprofessional staff who will first try every trick to get as much money from you as they can for the room and then further pad this by fleecing as much as possible by any means, ethical or not, all the while grinning.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- On a quiet tree-lined street of the Upper East Side is where you will find the Hotel Plaza Athenee, a boutique luxury hotel nestled among genteel residences and lavish townhouses on Sixty-Fourth Street between Park and Madison Avenue. Combining cosmopolitan luxury with the intimacy and services of a boutique hotel, Hotel Plaza Athenee has created a home away from home for royalty, world leaders, celebrities, executives and sophisticated travelers from all around the world since 1984. Charming and elegant in every detail, rich in style, Hotel Plaza Athenee speaks of a more refined time and place. The classic grandeur of the Hotel Plaza Athenee welcomes with an opulent atmosphere where Louis XVI style meets Manhattan's uptown chic. Hand-painted murals, noble Italian marble, French antiques and lux furnishings create our gracious haven. Located in the heart of Manhattan, the best of New York City's attractions are within a short walk from the Plaza Athenee's front door. Enjoy delightful strolls to Central Park, Madison Avenue boutiques, galleries, and museums. Our location is convenient to the city's cultural, financial and business centers. Offering sophisticated cocktails, an extensive curated wine and champagne list, as well as refined afternoon High Tea and Light Fares, our beautiful Bar Seine's eclectic decor of rich velvets, animal print fabrics, and leather floors provides the perfect setting for all occasions. The exquisite gastronomical feasts of Arabelle are sure to linger in one's memory. Our Chef's culinary creations for breakfast, lunch, dinner, and Sunday brunch are served with grace, using only the finest local, organic ingredients. Where leaders of finance and fashion plan strategy on next season's creations, Royalty and A-list celebrities dine privately, weddings and celebrations are meticulously catered to; understated and attentive service is our passion. To relieve and strengthen both mind and body, The Hotel Plaza Athenee houses a 24-hour fitness center and offers our guests the only Valmont SPA in the United States. At sunrise, greet the morning with vigor. At dusk, melt away the tensions of work and play. There are still retreats in the world where proud service and love of detail are unobtrusively and generously given. In New York, Hotel Plaza Athenee is such a place. Accommodations The Hotel Plaza Athenee offers 140 guest rooms in a variety of styles and decor. Find respite in the lushness of our guestrooms and suites where thoughtful touches of comfort and luxury soothe away the day's travails. All guest rooms feature ultra-plush beds with luxurious Italian linens, Louis XVI style furnishings, comfortable seating areas and writing desks. Plasma TVs and wireless internet services are provided for your in-room entertainment. A selection of suites feature enlarged marble bathrooms with deep soaking tubs, double sinks, full kitchenettes and boast both sun-drenched indoor-glass enclosed atrium terraces and outdoor balconies with unobstructed panoramic views of the New York City skyline. Configurations of up to four bedrooms with living rooms and dining rooms, offer a residential style experience with upscale services. The ambiance is reminiscent of fine homes, thoughtfully furnished, elegant and polished. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Booking.com, LHW, Expedia, Priceline, Cheap Tickets, Hotels.com, HotelTravel.com, BookIt.com, TripOnline SA, Agoda, Odigeo and Tingo so you can book your Hotel Plaza Athenee New York reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hotel Plaza Athenee
- Plaza Athenee New York City