“Unacceptable for this gorgeous hotel” 2 of 5 stars
Review of The Pierre, A Taj Hotel, New York

You added The Pierre, A Taj Hotel, New York to your Saves list
The Pierre, A Taj Hotel, New York
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2 East 61st Street at Fifth Avenue, New York City, NY 10065 (Manhattan)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Fourth Night Free
Ranked #35 of 459 Hotels in New York City
vermont
“Unacceptable for this gorgeous hotel”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2010

My husband and I stayed here for 3 nights. We booked thru AM EX Platinum which guaratees a suite upgrade if avaiable. When we checked in they said none were available even though I had just minutes earleir looked on line and they had plenty of rooms. The room we were put in was lovely and large though not a suite. The bathroom was the smallest hotel bath I have ever been in- no counter space, no shower caps, shower door did not close so the bathroom flooded everytime we showered and then the floor was as slippery as ice. Very poorly designed space. The worst experince was the temperature of the room. It was unseasonably hot in NYC that weekend and our room reflected the heat. No amount of turning down the temp and cranking up the AC worked. We were sweltering. I called engineering 2x's and they came and supposedly fixed the problem but they did not. going to a formal dinner on Friday night I had to change outfits 2 x's bc I was sweltering by the time I finished dressing. Not acceptable for a 5 star hotel that costs an average of $795 a night. And the front desk never did call to check on the satisfaction of the supposed repair of the AC. I called the hotel manager the day I returned home and 2 weeks later I have not heard back with any kind of apology or follow up. That is not acceptable. I will not stay here again nor will I recommend to friends. And breakfast of muffins, juice and coffee came to over $100 a day. I will not stay here again but will glady return to the Ritz Battery Park and the Palace which are hotels of perfection. The old Pierre, as I knew it in the 90's is no longer- Taj should be ashamed.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (139)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2010

We booked a Park View room which was quite a long way up the price pecking order - even above the non-view suites. I was therefore a little disappointed to see how small the room was - there was a bed and bedside tables, a chair and a dresser but really not very much space, although the furnishings were very classy. The bathroom was better with a bath and separate shower and beautifully appointed. However, the view (we were on the 36th floor) was incredible. We had a side view which allowed us to look North up the park as well as over the East side, but you could see over the West side (including the early morning skaters doing their pirouettes on the Woolman rink) and the mountains in the far distance and lying in bed you could see the planes taking off from La Guardia. So if space isn't too much of an issue then it's definitely worth paying for such an amazing view. The bed was also unbelievably comfortable - probably the best I've ever slept in.

Unusually for a New York hotel the staff were all very helpful and friendly without the annoying attitude you often get. My one slight gripe is that the lifts always had an attendant in them, I think to keep the riff raff away from the VIPs who stay here, but it meant every time you got in a lift you had to have a micro-conversation with the attendant.

The location is brilliant - about as good as you can get in New York. You're right on the park, but also in the same block as Barneys. I've stayed at the Essex House and Four Seasons but I have to say I preferred this (although I probably wouldn't bring my young children here.)

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
Sydney
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2010

My husband and I really appreciated our stay at this wonderful hotel. It was our first time there and our stay was perfect. The great location on 5th avenue makes it easy to go around the city!
But the most important was the quality of the service that we've received. The staff was very friendly and professional. From the check-in to our room and finishing with the check out. A great thanks to Alexandra at the front desk who made our stay memorable! she gave us the true 5 star service that you dont really see anymore nowadays.
We shouldnt forget to mention Maurice from concierge who gave us very good recommandations on various places.
The only minus was that the business center wasnt easy to access when we wanted to.
If you have the chance to stay at this hotel, there is no way to be disapointed.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2010

It is hard not to like The Pierre. The hotel is a fabulously restored tribute to old New York. The lobby, elevators, and rooms are stunning. I wanted to love this place from the moment I stepped through the front door.

I was upgraded to a City View Suite which was incredibly spacious and decadent -- kitchen facilities, large bathroom with rain shower, spacious living room, large-sized Molton Brown amenities. Based on my experience at check-in and the decor of the property, I was ready to make this my future home away from home in New York.

Unfortunately, the love affair ended when it came to service. Aside from very friendly (and unnecessary) elevator attendants, I found the service at the property to be unacceptably poor.

Big issues:

- Incompetent package / delivery tracking. If you have something delivered to you here, assume it will be left in a storage room and you won't get it unless you fight for it. Two deliveries were misplaced and one delivery was completely missed and had to be returned to sender after check out because the Taj forgot to deliver it while I was there
- Incompetent breakfast service at Le Caprice (apparently they do much better at dinner) -- doesn't open until 7 p.m. (front desk actually thought 7:30), multiple mistakes with order, surly staff. A lot of people doing very little and doing it wrong
- Food and beverage staff that are as cold as the marble floors. Very unfriendly and inflexible
- Over charging for gratuities. Watch your bill on check out.
- Front desk staff that give you a hard sell about making your next reservation with them (if occupancy isn't what they think it should be, perhaps they should address basic service issues first)
- Misleading information on Amex FH&R benefits. I was charged for having my breakfast via in-room dining even though it was supposed to be included (the restaurant wasn't open before 7 -- didn't really have a choice)

One plus on the service side is the security. Surveillance was good and elevators were monitored.

The best thing that could happen to this property is for it to be acquired by Four Seasons or Ritz. I want to love this place but, unfortunately, the Taj has destroyed yet another great US property (see my previous review of the Taj in Boston).

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business
Raleigh
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2010

The bed was horrible and at check out they could not give me a copy of my bill, but promised to email it later that day. Two days later, I am still waiting. Way too expensive for this kind of service.Over the last 10 years I have stayed in more than 50 Manhatan hotels, so I am a decent judge of value and service.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled on business
South Dakota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2010

Fantastic hotel. The room had a nice view and was well appointed. All of the hotel workers that we ran into were extremely nice and so accommodating. The concierge was the best as was Raul working the front desk. Great bar with great service! I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with friends
New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2010

I went to celebrate my anniversary with my hubby. The Pierre is an exquisite, gorgeous hotel. The staff is very friendly, helpful, and attentive. Front desk was very pleasant. They have elevator operators and doormen, and room service workers that make you feel special. The room was clean, beautiful, and had a great view. We had some delicious food, and the turn down service was great. I would definitely recommend this upscale hotel to anyone looking for a Special place to relax while staying in the city.
LOVED IT....

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to The Pierre, A Taj Hotel, New York? Share your experiences!