“my thoughts on the Pierre” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Pierre, A Taj Hotel, New York

Save Saved
You added The Pierre, A Taj Hotel, New York to your Saves list
The Pierre, A Taj Hotel, New York
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2 East 61st Street at Fifth Avenue, New York City, NY 10065 (Manhattan)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Fourth Night Free
Ranked #37 of 453 Hotels in New York City
Aventura, Florida
“my thoughts on the Pierre”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

it was fun amiable humble yet elegant old fashioned classic classy nice room special decorations like out of a black and white elegant film elevator lady runs old fashioned elevator nice close to central park as could be.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (121)
Kuwait City, Kuwait
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

I recently stayed at The Pierre for 5 nights with my mother. We came to NYC to check out the shopping, museums and restaurants. We found the staff at The Pierre to be very friendly and helpful. They upgraded us to a bigger room which was a pleasant surprise.

Unfortunately, the floor they put us on (12th) had been freshly painted and the fumes from the paint gave my mother and I a terrible headache. Since it's an old building, the ventilation was poor and the smell of the paint was overwhelming in the hallway as well in our room. The air conditioning was poor as well and we had to request a fan for our room.

Aside from that, the room was beautiful and the bed was amazing (which made it very difficult to get out of it each morning!). The housekeeping staff were sweet and we loved the added charm of the elevator attendants. We also loved the doormen who were very polite and had a great sense of humour.

Having just returned from Kuwait with a broken foot, I was worried about getting around NYC with an AirCast. The cast ended up failing me as it broke while shopping on 5th Avenue. However, the concierge at the Pierre was very helpful and quick to help solve my problem. She first had the hotel's engineer look at it to see if he could fix it, and when he could not, she sent us to the right place that was just around the corner and they repaired it within 10 minutes. I was extremely grateful for her help.

The location is absolutely perfect, especially if it's your first time in New York. I loved being right across from Central Park and just up the street from the MET and MoMa (and they were close enough to walk to even in a walking-cast!)

Overall, I was very pleased staying at The Pierre and will most certainly stay here again in the future!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Zadar, Zagrebacka, Croatia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

The hotel, its location, the staff, rooms, restaurant.. Everything was simply perfect. Definitely want to stay here next time in NY. The rooms are luxurious and the bed was amazing. Never had a better night sleep that on that bed. Simply like sleeping on a cloud. The staff was very helpful and very polite. If I had anything to criticize, it's me for not staying extra days.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
DC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2013

The hotel made some mistakes on our recent four night stay (more on this later), so I thought to give it four stars. Then I realized this...The Pierre is a five star PLUS hotel, and the mistakes turned it into a five star hotel. I grew up in NY and visit there two-three times a year. This was a pure pleasure trip, and we were willing to splurge if it would be worth it. Criteria: a two room suite, would take our 15 lb dog, had at least a refrigerator. Our city-view suite was the last suite available for our dates. I was worried it would be dark. No way. On the 11th floor, we looked over the city and had lots of light. The living and bedroom were both very large. The furniture was very comfortable. The bathroom was off a hall between the two rooms, so it was possible to get up early and have full use of the rest of the space without disturbing the person still sleeping. The only suite we could get was a twin-bed one. We were on the wait list for a king. When we arrived they had made up the twins into a king without us asking. That was just one example of service to perfection. Housekeeping and the refrigerator we requested arrived within minutes of our requests. We felt like royalty! The shower and bathtub were fabulous, but I did wonder why they put a tv instead of a second sink in the renovated bathrooms! Our suite cost about $800/night on the promotional rate, less than half the rate of the Ritz and Mandarin Oriental, the other two hotels on Central Park I investigated. (Also it came with continental breakfast, but what that meant was you could spend $25 each at breakfast on whatever you wanted). Also, there wasn't nickel and diming here like many luxury hotels: bottled water was free; snacks and juice in fitness center were free; business center with office size printer was free; dog was free; refrigerator was free. If you like the mid-town location, I cannot imagine staying anywhere else! The mistakes: the concierge gave me a list of nearby garages that sent me on a wild goose chase; I also called the concierge before arriving and was told where I could get a day pass to swim laps at a nearby club and it turned out not to true. Since I swim laps most days, this was a HUGE piece of misinformation. They tried to then send me to a place almost 40 blocks away, and I wound up--after several hours of searching-- finding someplace much closer on my own, but thought they should have known this. (The fitness center at the hotel does have great equipment).The other mistake was that the front desk failed to have our dog's frozen food properly frozen, which meant it would spoil before the end of our trip. This made me very angry; we made it last, but barely. Still, I would stay here again in a heartbeat!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Heiko K, General Manager at The Pierre, A Taj Hotel, New York, responded to this review, July 11, 2013
Dear Polli,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback regarding your stay at The Pierre hotel. We are thrilled that you were able to book that last available city-view suite with the Suite Celebrations promotion, and that you were very comfortable during your stay. We hope that your dog was very comfortable as well.

We apologize that we could not get you a king size bed, but we are delighted that you were met with a pleasant surprise upon arriving to your room.

We also apologize for the mistakes that were made during your stay. We will follow up with our Front Office staff to be sure that this will not happen again. Our concierge staff is normally spot on with its award-wining service, but we will be sure to make sure that this does not happen again.

We look forward to welcoming you back, and welcoming the opportunity of assuring that you have a flawless stay.

Warm Regards,
The Pierre General Manager
Armonk, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2013

My wife and I are New Yorkers and we are staying in Westchester while we are having our apartment renovated. Earlier this week for my wife's birthday I took her out for a night on the town .. dinner at 21 Club and theater tickets to see Pippen. I booked us a room at The Pierre because it is an elegant hotel that is wonderfully located. I had booked a "city-view room" and the scene from the windows on the 35th floor was amazing. Central Park and the upper East Side glistened outside of our room. The staff was helpful and friendly (there are even elevator operators) and everything in our room could not have been better. Our bed was luxurious and the linens, towels and accessories were top of the line.
But ... We arrived back to our room just after 11:00 PM and found that there was no water. Why we were not told when we went through the lobby was strange. There was a note on our desk in the room saying that water was to be turned off at 11:00 and would be on by 5:00 AM. We had not seen the note and called the front desk to be told that there was a "plumbing emergency". However the note did not call it an emergency and when we checked out we were told it was Con Ed that turned off the water. Three different stories that should have been handled better. The water came back on at 2:00 AM and even with that small misstep, out stay at The Pierre was very special.
If one is traveling to New York City and looking for a very special place to stay, I would highly recommend staying here. If you can afford a room with a City View, you will not be disappointed.

Room Tip: Room #3506 ... City View worth the extra money ...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2013

The Pierre is your typical luxury hotel in a big city. Everything about my stay met my expectations of a 5-star hotel, so if you're looking for consistent luxury without surprises, then the Pierre may be for you.

The Pierre is one of New York's grand dame hotels. Built in the 1920's, it offers some of the old atmosphere and glamour of the era. As someone not from New York, it was a nice touch to be able to stay in one of these old skyscrapers, right on the corner of central park. The location is superb for a tourist, away from the hubbub of mid-town but close enough to the action. One can walk across the street to Central Park and also up to the museums on the Upper East Side.

The actual decor of the hotel is what I'd refer to as restrained, old-school luxury. Nothing is over-the-top, but you definitely always have the feeling that you are in a 5-star hotel. We stayed in a City-View Premium room which as satisfactorily sized. Not big, but not small. It came with a good-sized bathroom with soaking tub and separate shower and upgraded Molton-Brown amenities. As one would expect from this level of hotel, the bed was very comfortable with soft pillows and a pillow-top mattress.

Service is consistent and professional. One unique feature of the Pierre is its elevator attendants. When I had heard about how the Pierre still maintained elevator attendants, I thought it sounded a bit excessive, but actually, they were a nice touch. One never had to wait for a lift on the ground floor and each attendant offered a polite and friendly (yet refrained) chit-chat which never seemed forced. The concierges were mixed. One was incredibly friendly and polite and referred us to a superb italian restaurant in the Upper East Side for Brunch while another was a little more aloof.

All in all, I'd say that at the Pierre you get what you pay for, not more, not less. It is a classic 5-star hotel, with consistent, professional service, well appointed rooms, and classic decor. If you're looking for a quieter NY holiday with an "Upper East Side" experience, then the Pierre can be a good option.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Orange, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

We, two adults and three teenagers, stayed at the Pierre June 22-24. We chose it over the Ritz at Central Park because of the great special, third night free. The location can't be beat: across from Central Park (but not on CPS, so away from the crowds). We had two rooms on the twelfth floor, both with king beds. (We wanted one room with double beds, but the hotel was sold out until our last night there). The rooms, especially room 1203, were great:spacious, well decorated, and very clean. Because this is an older building, rooms are all different, which was a welcome change from the standard, cookie cutter hotel. The staff: front desk, concierge and even elevator ladies (yes they still have those), were very polite and helpful. Michael, who was still in training, was extremely helpful and accommodating. The beds are fantastic. Shower is spacious, although the door that doesn't extend fully took some adjusting.

Bottom line: stay here for the location and service.

My one complaint is they have a courtesy car that's available on first come basis. No matter how many times we tried, we were not lucky enough to grab it. It would have been better if we didn't know about it.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Heiko K, General Manager at The Pierre, A Taj Hotel, New York, responded to this review, July 8, 2013
Dear Leonard P,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback regarding your stay at The Pierre Hotel. We are thrilled that you chose The Pierre, and that you took advantage of our Suite Celebrations promotion!

We are happy to hear you were pleased with your rooming accommodation and found them to be comfortable! As you may know we recently renovated our rooms, and we are always excited to hear that our guests are pleased with the final product. We love the photos that you took!

It is very special for our staff to receive such wonderful compliments from guests; we truly appreciate you taking the time to do so. It is through such thoughtful support and feedback like yours that our staff continues to be inspired to provide impeccable service each day. We are also glad to hear that Michael was able to help you accordingly.

We apologize that our courtesy car was never available for your use. Since we only have one car for such a large hotel, the only fair way that we could think of is to have it be available to guests on a first come basis. We hope you come back again, and that you will be able to take advantage of this service that we offer to our guest.

We hope to welcome you back on your next trip to New York.

Warm regards,
The Pierre General Manager

Been to The Pierre, A Taj Hotel, New York? Share your experiences!