“Almost perfection” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Pierre, A Taj Hotel, New York

Save Saved
You added The Pierre, A Taj Hotel, New York to your Saves list
The Pierre, A Taj Hotel, New York
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2 East 61st Street at Fifth Avenue, New York City, NY 10065 (Manhattan)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Third Night Free
Ranked #75 of 446 hotels in New York City
DC
“Almost perfection”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2013

The hotel made some mistakes on our recent four night stay (more on this later), so I thought to give it four stars. Then I realized this...The Pierre is a five star PLUS hotel, and the mistakes turned it into a five star hotel. I grew up in NY and visit there two-three times a year. This was a pure pleasure trip, and we were willing to splurge if it would be worth it. Criteria: a two room suite, would take our 15 lb dog, had at least a refrigerator. Our city-view suite was the last suite available for our dates. I was worried it would be dark. No way. On the 11th floor, we looked over the city and had lots of light. The living and bedroom were both very large. The furniture was very comfortable. The bathroom was off a hall between the two rooms, so it was possible to get up early and have full use of the rest of the space without disturbing the person still sleeping. The only suite we could get was a twin-bed one. We were on the wait list for a king. When we arrived they had made up the twins into a king without us asking. That was just one example of service to perfection. Housekeeping and the refrigerator we requested arrived within minutes of our requests. We felt like royalty! The shower and bathtub were fabulous, but I did wonder why they put a tv instead of a second sink in the renovated bathrooms! Our suite cost about $800/night on the promotional rate, less than half the rate of the Ritz and Mandarin Oriental, the other two hotels on Central Park I investigated. (Also it came with continental breakfast, but what that meant was you could spend $25 each at breakfast on whatever you wanted). Also, there wasn't nickel and diming here like many luxury hotels: bottled water was free; snacks and juice in fitness center were free; business center with office size printer was free; dog was free; refrigerator was free. If you like the mid-town location, I cannot imagine staying anywhere else! The mistakes: the concierge gave me a list of nearby garages that sent me on a wild goose chase; I also called the concierge before arriving and was told where I could get a day pass to swim laps at a nearby club and it turned out not to true. Since I swim laps most days, this was a HUGE piece of misinformation. They tried to then send me to a place almost 40 blocks away, and I wound up--after several hours of searching-- finding someplace much closer on my own, but thought they should have known this. (The fitness center at the hotel does have great equipment).The other mistake was that the front desk failed to have our dog's frozen food properly frozen, which meant it would spoil before the end of our trip. This made me very angry; we made it last, but barely. Still, I would stay here again in a heartbeat!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Heiko K, General Manager at The Pierre, A Taj Hotel, New York, responded to this review, July 11, 2013
Dear Polli,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback regarding your stay at The Pierre hotel. We are thrilled that you were able to book that last available city-view suite with the Suite Celebrations promotion, and that you were very comfortable during your stay. We hope that your dog was very comfortable as well.

We apologize that we could not get you a king size bed, but we are delighted that you were met with a pleasant surprise upon arriving to your room.

We also apologize for the mistakes that were made during your stay. We will follow up with our Front Office staff to be sure that this will not happen again. Our concierge staff is normally spot on with its award-wining service, but we will be sure to make sure that this does not happen again.

We look forward to welcoming you back, and welcoming the opportunity of assuring that you have a flawless stay.

Warm Regards,

501 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (97)
Armonk, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2013

My wife and I are New Yorkers and we are staying in Westchester while we are having our apartment renovated. Earlier this week for my wife's birthday I took her out for a night on the town .. dinner at 21 Club and theater tickets to see Pippen. I booked us a room at The Pierre because it is an elegant hotel that is wonderfully located. I had booked a "city-view room" and the scene from the windows on the 35th floor was amazing. Central Park and the upper East Side glistened outside of our room. The staff was helpful and friendly (there are even elevator operators) and everything in our room could not have been better. Our bed was luxurious and the linens, towels and accessories were top of the line.
But ... We arrived back to our room just after 11:00 PM and found that there was no water. Why we were not told when we went through the lobby was strange. There was a note on our desk in the room saying that water was to be turned off at 11:00 and would be on by 5:00 AM. We had not seen the note and called the front desk to be told that there was a "plumbing emergency". However the note did not call it an emergency and when we checked out we were told it was Con Ed that turned off the water. Three different stories that should have been handled better. The water came back on at 2:00 AM and even with that small misstep, out stay at The Pierre was very special.
If one is traveling to New York City and looking for a very special place to stay, I would highly recommend staying here. If you can afford a room with a City View, you will not be disappointed.

Room Tip: Room #3506 ... City View worth the extra money ...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2013

The Pierre is your typical luxury hotel in a big city. Everything about my stay met my expectations of a 5-star hotel, so if you're looking for consistent luxury without surprises, then the Pierre may be for you.

The Pierre is one of New York's grand dame hotels. Built in the 1920's, it offers some of the old atmosphere and glamour of the era. As someone not from New York, it was a nice touch to be able to stay in one of these old skyscrapers, right on the corner of central park. The location is superb for a tourist, away from the hubbub of mid-town but close enough to the action. One can walk across the street to Central Park and also up to the museums on the Upper East Side.

The actual decor of the hotel is what I'd refer to as restrained, old-school luxury. Nothing is over-the-top, but you definitely always have the feeling that you are in a 5-star hotel. We stayed in a City-View Premium room which as satisfactorily sized. Not big, but not small. It came with a good-sized bathroom with soaking tub and separate shower and upgraded Molton-Brown amenities. As one would expect from this level of hotel, the bed was very comfortable with soft pillows and a pillow-top mattress.

Service is consistent and professional. One unique feature of the Pierre is its elevator attendants. When I had heard about how the Pierre still maintained elevator attendants, I thought it sounded a bit excessive, but actually, they were a nice touch. One never had to wait for a lift on the ground floor and each attendant offered a polite and friendly (yet refrained) chit-chat which never seemed forced. The concierges were mixed. One was incredibly friendly and polite and referred us to a superb italian restaurant in the Upper East Side for Brunch while another was a little more aloof.

All in all, I'd say that at the Pierre you get what you pay for, not more, not less. It is a classic 5-star hotel, with consistent, professional service, well appointed rooms, and classic decor. If you're looking for a quieter NY holiday with an "Upper East Side" experience, then the Pierre can be a good option.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Orange, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

We, two adults and three teenagers, stayed at the Pierre June 22-24. We chose it over the Ritz at Central Park because of the great special, third night free. The location can't be beat: across from Central Park (but not on CPS, so away from the crowds). We had two rooms on the twelfth floor, both with king beds. (We wanted one room with double beds, but the hotel was sold out until our last night there). The rooms, especially room 1203, were great:spacious, well decorated, and very clean. Because this is an older building, rooms are all different, which was a welcome change from the standard, cookie cutter hotel. The staff: front desk, concierge and even elevator ladies (yes they still have those), were very polite and helpful. Michael, who was still in training, was extremely helpful and accommodating. The beds are fantastic. Shower is spacious, although the door that doesn't extend fully took some adjusting.

Bottom line: stay here for the location and service.

My one complaint is they have a courtesy car that's available on first come basis. No matter how many times we tried, we were not lucky enough to grab it. It would have been better if we didn't know about it.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Heiko K, General Manager at The Pierre, A Taj Hotel, New York, responded to this review, July 8, 2013
Dear Leonard P,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback regarding your stay at The Pierre Hotel. We are thrilled that you chose The Pierre, and that you took advantage of our Suite Celebrations promotion!

We are happy to hear you were pleased with your rooming accommodation and found them to be comfortable! As you may know we recently renovated our rooms, and we are always excited to hear that our guests are pleased with the final product. We love the photos that you took!

It is very special for our staff to receive such wonderful compliments from guests; we truly appreciate you taking the time to do so. It is through such thoughtful support and feedback like yours that our staff continues to be inspired to provide impeccable service each day. We are also glad to hear that Michael was able to help you accordingly.

We apologize that our courtesy car was never available for your use. Since we only have one car for such a large hotel, the only fair way that we could think of is to have it be available to guests on a first come basis. We hope you come back again, and that you will be able to take advantage of this service that we offer to our guest.

We hope to welcome you back on your next trip to New York.

Warm regards,
Jacksonville, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2013

We pull up to the 61st street entrance after a long, multi-delayed trip from Florida. Getting out of the car, we spy Central Park across the street. Circling above for three hours awaiting our turn to land becomes a distant memory. The bellman, Gregory, welcomes us with a huge, sincere smile as he handles the luggage. We immediately feel at home. The lobby is stunning. Marble floors that are both sophisticated yet warm. Check-in is faster than instant coffee. Rooms are ready. And what rooms! The furniture, draperies and appointments are stunning and warm. Vibrant, classic yet bold. Colorful but not overwhelming. Opulent but not ostentatious. In essence, the rooms are an anachronism: it's where you'd want to live if you won the lottery. Our sons had a suite with two twins and two full baths. We had a suite fit for a raja: king bed, one and a half baths, a full separate living room with TWO long couches. The Metropolitan suite was given to us as an upgrade. Perhaps it was from Jasmine, the in-house reservationist who kindly amended our last minute changes without a blink. More likely it was from Sanela M., in charge of guest relations. Aside from being quietly efficient and unflappable, she has set a tone for the hotel that permeates on all levels. The staff persona and hotel ambiance are reflections of management. I have never been in a better, more friendly, more beautiful hotel. That starts with management. Kudos to them! We were brought to our rooms by a lovely woman who truly looks like she she is a runway model. Is everyone who works at The Pierre as polished as everyone we met? Sure the baths are huge, the rooms are stunning (and huge), the fitness room is just the right size with just the right amount of equipment and open from 5 a.m. to 11 pm, the hotel bar is romantic with a great late night menu. But it is the staff, the staff, the staff that sets The Pierre apart from any other hotel I have ever stayed. The elevators actually have PEOPLE in them to take you up and down. In this era of downsizing and don't-look-at-me-I'm-texting-my nanny, The Pierre gets it oh-so-right. You walk in the elevator, a smiling face remembers you. She remembers when our boys were little and "now look at them!" No one is texting in the elevator. They are conversing and interacting. It is so refreshing and a metaphorical paradigm for how to live your life! I may be just a customer but The Pierre Hotel staff is a family that makes you feel like you are at home. Perhaps I am redundant but it is a theme throughout the hotel. The operators wake you up with a happy voice, not a pre-recorded message. Morning coffee pots ordered for 7:30 arrive exactly at 7:30. I mean exactly at 7:30. Moreover, security is top notch. The 5th Avenue entrance is locked at night. Just the 61st street Entrance is open. The staff is universally above reproach. I feel so safe at The Pierre and so does my family.

There are so many other hotels to consider in Manhattan. The Waldorf lobby looks and feels like Grand Central Station. The NY Hilton looks and feels like Penn Station. The Plaza is worn out and has a weird, cold vibe. The St. Regis has beautiful rooms but the lobby is cluttered and claustrophobic and the check-in location with the staff behind a cage looks like you're about to cash in your chips in Vegas. The Peninsula has lovely rooms but they are all drab brown and the entrance has a flight of stairs steeper than climbing Masada. Moreover, the elevator is usually filled with besotted wannabees on their way up to the overcrowded rooftop yuppie bar. So much for the competition.

Bottom line: if you want a stunning first class, world class hotel that is in the perfect location in Manhattan staffed by the most professional, warm people on the planet you will stay at The Pierre. It is worth every penny. I can only assume this is the step right before going to Heaven.

Room Tip: Room Tip: some rooms have kitchenettes. for those travelling with little ones, this is quite a good...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2013 via mobile

I am currently staying at the hotel for 4 nights. I booked a city view king size room. First of the day, I am arranged in room 622, and it shocked me. The room is extremely so small, if you have two luggage and you do not have a space to walk. And for a city view room, the front desk says it varies from 5 to 20th floor, so then who will get the 20 and who is on 5? So it is so unfair and room space varies too. We were asking the front desk to make change, they just answered us the hotel is full can not help. Then, the second day, with a long trip and return tired, we were hoping to have a good rest, however the bed is wet, because the housekeeper left a cleaning towel inside the bed, that's ridiculous! Overall, this is not even close to a five star hotel, at least the service is not. Try other ones !!

• Stayed June 2013
Heiko K, General Manager at The Pierre, A Taj Hotel, New York, responded to this review, July 3, 2013
Dear Jeffrey7guo,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback regarding your stay at The Pierre hotel. Please note that we take this feedback very seriously and have followed up with our Director of Housekeeping regarding your comments. We apologize that you did not receive a restful sleep on our behalf.

As we are a historic hotel rather than a new build, each of our rooms enjoys a unique layout. We apologize that the room you received did not meet your expectations

We truly apologize that we did not meet your expectations during your stay with us at The Pierre. We welcome the opportunity to host you again and leave you with a positive impression.

Warm regards,
Beijing, China
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

Who would imagine one could get their jewelery stolen in a five star hotel and got no comfort or even attention from the hotel manager! Looking through the surface of the central park location; fancy decoration, it is not even a third class service. Most disappointed and shocked by the hotel manager, who made absolutely no effort that the hotel will get down to the bottom of this. So, lock up your valuables, the theft could be in your room right now. And don't ever count on the Pierre Hotel to take care of their guest, they certainly don't know how. My most traumatizing hotel experience did not take place in a third world country motel, but in one of the most "luxurious" hotels in my favorite city.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Heiko K, General Manager at The Pierre, A Taj Hotel, New York, responded to this review, June 27, 2013
Dear Lucy,

The news of your loss was equally shocking to us at The Pierre and we regret any misperception that Mr. Hommerich was unsympathetic. Please be reassured that nothing could be further from our collective intention.

We followed the process of an investigation and full evaluation that was based on your schedule of availability. Mr. Hommerich was in touch as soon as possible after that.

We are following up with you and share your hope that the missing items will be found.

Generally, all hotels recommend the safekeeping of valuables. We provide a safe in each guest room for that purpose and abide by State laws on liability.

Please do let me know if I can be helpful in the future.

With kind regards,

Heiko Kuenstle

Been to The Pierre, A Taj Hotel, New York? Share your experiences!