“Great 5-Star” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Pierre, A Taj Hotel, New York

Save Saved
You added The Pierre, A Taj Hotel, New York to your Saves list
The Pierre, A Taj Hotel, New York
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2 East 61st Street at Fifth Avenue, New York City, NY 10065 (Manhattan)   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Fourth Night Free
Ranked #36 of 453 Hotels in New York City
Singapore, Singapore
“Great 5-Star”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2013

The Pierre is your typical luxury hotel in a big city. Everything about my stay met my expectations of a 5-star hotel, so if you're looking for consistent luxury without surprises, then the Pierre may be for you.

The Pierre is one of New York's grand dame hotels. Built in the 1920's, it offers some of the old atmosphere and glamour of the era. As someone not from New York, it was a nice touch to be able to stay in one of these old skyscrapers, right on the corner of central park. The location is superb for a tourist, away from the hubbub of mid-town but close enough to the action. One can walk across the street to Central Park and also up to the museums on the Upper East Side.

The actual decor of the hotel is what I'd refer to as restrained, old-school luxury. Nothing is over-the-top, but you definitely always have the feeling that you are in a 5-star hotel. We stayed in a City-View Premium room which as satisfactorily sized. Not big, but not small. It came with a good-sized bathroom with soaking tub and separate shower and upgraded Molton-Brown amenities. As one would expect from this level of hotel, the bed was very comfortable with soft pillows and a pillow-top mattress.

Service is consistent and professional. One unique feature of the Pierre is its elevator attendants. When I had heard about how the Pierre still maintained elevator attendants, I thought it sounded a bit excessive, but actually, they were a nice touch. One never had to wait for a lift on the ground floor and each attendant offered a polite and friendly (yet refrained) chit-chat which never seemed forced. The concierges were mixed. One was incredibly friendly and polite and referred us to a superb italian restaurant in the Upper East Side for Brunch while another was a little more aloof.

All in all, I'd say that at the Pierre you get what you pay for, not more, not less. It is a classic 5-star hotel, with consistent, professional service, well appointed rooms, and classic decor. If you're looking for a quieter NY holiday with an "Upper East Side" experience, then the Pierre can be a good option.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (118)
Orange, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

We, two adults and three teenagers, stayed at the Pierre June 22-24. We chose it over the Ritz at Central Park because of the great special, third night free. The location can't be beat: across from Central Park (but not on CPS, so away from the crowds). We had two rooms on the twelfth floor, both with king beds. (We wanted one room with double beds, but the hotel was sold out until our last night there). The rooms, especially room 1203, were great:spacious, well decorated, and very clean. Because this is an older building, rooms are all different, which was a welcome change from the standard, cookie cutter hotel. The staff: front desk, concierge and even elevator ladies (yes they still have those), were very polite and helpful. Michael, who was still in training, was extremely helpful and accommodating. The beds are fantastic. Shower is spacious, although the door that doesn't extend fully took some adjusting.

Bottom line: stay here for the location and service.

My one complaint is they have a courtesy car that's available on first come basis. No matter how many times we tried, we were not lucky enough to grab it. It would have been better if we didn't know about it.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Heiko K, General Manager at The Pierre, A Taj Hotel, New York, responded to this review, July 8, 2013
Dear Leonard P,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback regarding your stay at The Pierre Hotel. We are thrilled that you chose The Pierre, and that you took advantage of our Suite Celebrations promotion!

We are happy to hear you were pleased with your rooming accommodation and found them to be comfortable! As you may know we recently renovated our rooms, and we are always excited to hear that our guests are pleased with the final product. We love the photos that you took!

It is very special for our staff to receive such wonderful compliments from guests; we truly appreciate you taking the time to do so. It is through such thoughtful support and feedback like yours that our staff continues to be inspired to provide impeccable service each day. We are also glad to hear that Michael was able to help you accordingly.

We apologize that our courtesy car was never available for your use. Since we only have one car for such a large hotel, the only fair way that we could think of is to have it be available to guests on a first come basis. We hope you come back again, and that you will be able to take advantage of this service that we offer to our guest.

We hope to welcome you back on your next trip to New York.

Warm regards,
The Pierre General Manager
Jacksonville, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2013

We pull up to the 61st street entrance after a long, multi-delayed trip from Florida. Getting out of the car, we spy Central Park across the street. Circling above for three hours awaiting our turn to land becomes a distant memory. The bellman, Gregory, welcomes us with a huge, sincere smile as he handles the luggage. We immediately feel at home. The lobby is stunning. Marble floors that are both sophisticated yet warm. Check-in is faster than instant coffee. Rooms are ready. And what rooms! The furniture, draperies and appointments are stunning and warm. Vibrant, classic yet bold. Colorful but not overwhelming. Opulent but not ostentatious. In essence, the rooms are an anachronism: it's where you'd want to live if you won the lottery. Our sons had a suite with two twins and two full baths. We had a suite fit for a raja: king bed, one and a half baths, a full separate living room with TWO long couches. The Metropolitan suite was given to us as an upgrade. Perhaps it was from Jasmine, the in-house reservationist who kindly amended our last minute changes without a blink. More likely it was from Sanela M., in charge of guest relations. Aside from being quietly efficient and unflappable, she has set a tone for the hotel that permeates on all levels. The staff persona and hotel ambiance are reflections of management. I have never been in a better, more friendly, more beautiful hotel. That starts with management. Kudos to them! We were brought to our rooms by a lovely woman who truly looks like she she is a runway model. Is everyone who works at The Pierre as polished as everyone we met? Sure the baths are huge, the rooms are stunning (and huge), the fitness room is just the right size with just the right amount of equipment and open from 5 a.m. to 11 pm, the hotel bar is romantic with a great late night menu. But it is the staff, the staff, the staff that sets The Pierre apart from any other hotel I have ever stayed. The elevators actually have PEOPLE in them to take you up and down. In this era of downsizing and don't-look-at-me-I'm-texting-my nanny, The Pierre gets it oh-so-right. You walk in the elevator, a smiling face remembers you. She remembers when our boys were little and "now look at them!" No one is texting in the elevator. They are conversing and interacting. It is so refreshing and a metaphorical paradigm for how to live your life! I may be just a customer but The Pierre Hotel staff is a family that makes you feel like you are at home. Perhaps I am redundant but it is a theme throughout the hotel. The operators wake you up with a happy voice, not a pre-recorded message. Morning coffee pots ordered for 7:30 arrive exactly at 7:30. I mean exactly at 7:30. Moreover, security is top notch. The 5th Avenue entrance is locked at night. Just the 61st street Entrance is open. The staff is universally above reproach. I feel so safe at The Pierre and so does my family.

There are so many other hotels to consider in Manhattan. The Waldorf lobby looks and feels like Grand Central Station. The NY Hilton looks and feels like Penn Station. The Plaza is worn out and has a weird, cold vibe. The St. Regis has beautiful rooms but the lobby is cluttered and claustrophobic and the check-in location with the staff behind a cage looks like you're about to cash in your chips in Vegas. The Peninsula has lovely rooms but they are all drab brown and the entrance has a flight of stairs steeper than climbing Masada. Moreover, the elevator is usually filled with besotted wannabees on their way up to the overcrowded rooftop yuppie bar. So much for the competition.

Bottom line: if you want a stunning first class, world class hotel that is in the perfect location in Manhattan staffed by the most professional, warm people on the planet you will stay at The Pierre. It is worth every penny. I can only assume this is the step right before going to Heaven.

Room Tip: Room Tip: some rooms have kitchenettes. for those travelling with little ones, this is quite a good...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2013 via mobile

I am currently staying at the hotel for 4 nights. I booked a city view king size room. First of the day, I am arranged in room 622, and it shocked me. The room is extremely so small, if you have two luggage and you do not have a space to walk. And for a city view room, the front desk says it varies from 5 to 20th floor, so then who will get the 20 and who is on 5? So it is so unfair and room space varies too. We were asking the front desk to make change, they just answered us the hotel is full can not help. Then, the second day, with a long trip and return tired, we were hoping to have a good rest, however the bed is wet, because the housekeeper left a cleaning towel inside the bed, that's ridiculous! Overall, this is not even close to a five star hotel, at least the service is not. Try other ones !!

• Stayed June 2013
Heiko K, General Manager at The Pierre, A Taj Hotel, New York, responded to this review, July 3, 2013
Dear Jeffrey7guo,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback regarding your stay at The Pierre hotel. Please note that we take this feedback very seriously and have followed up with our Director of Housekeeping regarding your comments. We apologize that you did not receive a restful sleep on our behalf.

As we are a historic hotel rather than a new build, each of our rooms enjoys a unique layout. We apologize that the room you received did not meet your expectations

We truly apologize that we did not meet your expectations during your stay with us at The Pierre. We welcome the opportunity to host you again and leave you with a positive impression.

Warm regards,
The Pierre General Manager
Beijing, China
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

Who would imagine one could get their jewelery stolen in a five star hotel and got no comfort or even attention from the hotel manager! Looking through the surface of the central park location; fancy decoration, it is not even a third class service. Most disappointed and shocked by the hotel manager, who made absolutely no effort that the hotel will get down to the bottom of this. So, lock up your valuables, the theft could be in your room right now. And don't ever count on the Pierre Hotel to take care of their guest, they certainly don't know how. My most traumatizing hotel experience did not take place in a third world country motel, but in one of the most "luxurious" hotels in my favorite city.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Heiko K, General Manager at The Pierre, A Taj Hotel, New York, responded to this review, June 27, 2013
Dear Lucy,

The news of your loss was equally shocking to us at The Pierre and we regret any misperception that Mr. Hommerich was unsympathetic. Please be reassured that nothing could be further from our collective intention.

We followed the process of an investigation and full evaluation that was based on your schedule of availability. Mr. Hommerich was in touch as soon as possible after that.

We are following up with you and share your hope that the missing items will be found.

Generally, all hotels recommend the safekeeping of valuables. We provide a safe in each guest room for that purpose and abide by State laws on liability.

Please do let me know if I can be helpful in the future.

With kind regards,

Heiko Kuenstle
Beijing
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

I visit New York often for business and have been staying at the Pierre roughly 3-5 times a year. It's always been a delightful experience, with its tastefully decorated rooms, great location, and friendly and competent staff. That is, until the most recent stay in the 3rd week of June 2013. My colleague left her room in a hurry and left her handbag unzipped, where she placed her jewelry pouch. Whe she came back, two pieces (worth $10,000+) were missing. Christian Hommerich, the hotel manager who handled the case, was anything but helpful. He didn't bother to contact my colleague, who was beyond devastated. When he finally met with my colleague at her request, he was defensive, dismissive and rude. It appeared that his top priority was to protect the hotel from any potential liability, and helping the victim was the last of his concerns. I understand that theft cases like this can be tricky, but I would've expected a five-star hotel like the Pierre to handle it in a more thoughtful way. I guess on the surface it's hard to differentiate among the top hotels (Four Seasons, Peninsula, Mandarin Oriental, etc); but when it comes to situations like this, I see which one I should just cross off my list.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Dear Jane,

We appreciate great concern for a good friend. The news was equally shocking to us at The Pierre. While we are continuing to investigate the loss, we truly regret any misperception that Mr. Hommerich was unsympathetic. We were all very upset, as we have a long service staff who care for our residents and guests and have a very professional and attentive security staff. Caring for your colleague was our collective priority.

However, security must follow a process of investigation and full evaluation that was based on her schedule of availability. Mr. Hommerich then was in touch with her as soon as possible after reviewing the reports while our security head continued to stay in touch. We share the hope that the missing items will be found. And yes, all hotels recommend the safekeeping of valuables. We provide a safe in each guest room for that purpose and abide by State laws on liability.

Please let me know if I can be helpful in the future. I am at your disposal.

With kind regards,

Heiko Kuenstle
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013 via mobile

This was my first stay at The Pierre and the first stay at a Taj. It was a wonderful experience. The staff was warm and welcoming, from the front desk to a server at the lounge to the gentleman who brought me an ironing board. All my needs were met and my room was comfortable and well appointed. The shower was similar to a high-end spa and the bed was extremely comfortable. This hotel was more luxurious than The Palace, which is my most frequented hotel in Manhattan. I would absolutely stay here again if the rate allowed me too.

Stayed June 2013

Been to The Pierre, A Taj Hotel, New York? Share your experiences!