The Pierre is your typical luxury hotel in a big city. Everything about my stay met my expectations of a 5-star hotel, so if you're looking for consistent luxury without surprises, then the Pierre may be for you.
The Pierre is one of New York's grand dame hotels. Built in the 1920's, it offers some of the old atmosphere and glamour of the era. As someone not from New York, it was a nice touch to be able to stay in one of these old skyscrapers, right on the corner of central park. The location is superb for a tourist, away from the hubbub of mid-town but close enough to the action. One can walk across the street to Central Park and also up to the museums on the Upper East Side.
The actual decor of the hotel is what I'd refer to as restrained, old-school luxury. Nothing is over-the-top, but you definitely always have the feeling that you are in a 5-star hotel. We stayed in a City-View Premium room which as satisfactorily sized. Not big, but not small. It came with a good-sized bathroom with soaking tub and separate shower and upgraded Molton-Brown amenities. As one would expect from this level of hotel, the bed was very comfortable with soft pillows and a pillow-top mattress.
Service is consistent and professional. One unique feature of the Pierre is its elevator attendants. When I had heard about how the Pierre still maintained elevator attendants, I thought it sounded a bit excessive, but actually, they were a nice touch. One never had to wait for a lift on the ground floor and each attendant offered a polite and friendly (yet refrained) chit-chat which never seemed forced. The concierges were mixed. One was incredibly friendly and polite and referred us to a superb italian restaurant in the Upper East Side for Brunch while another was a little more aloof.
All in all, I'd say that at the Pierre you get what you pay for, not more, not less. It is a classic 5-star hotel, with consistent, professional service, well appointed rooms, and classic decor. If you're looking for a quieter NY holiday with an "Upper East Side" experience, then the Pierre can be a good option.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Landmark hotel on Fifth Avenue in New York City. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travelocity, Expedia, Booking.com, LHW, Hotels.com, Venere, Tingo, Priceline, Agoda, Odigeo, Otel and Jetsetter so you can book your The Pierre, A Taj Hotel, New York reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Pierre Hotel New York City
- Pierre New York City
- Pierre Hotel New York City