“The worst experience of a "luxury" hotel - devastation beyond imagination” 1 of 5 stars
Review of The Pierre, A Taj Hotel, New York

Save Saved
You added The Pierre, A Taj Hotel, New York to your Saves list
The Pierre, A Taj Hotel, New York
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2 East 61st Street at Fifth Avenue, New York City, NY 10065 (Manhattan)   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Fourth Night Free
Ranked #35 of 454 Hotels in New York City
Beijing, China
“The worst experience of a "luxury" hotel - devastation beyond imagination”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

Who would imagine one could get their jewelery stolen in a five star hotel and got no comfort or even attention from the hotel manager! Looking through the surface of the central park location; fancy decoration, it is not even a third class service. Most disappointed and shocked by the hotel manager, who made absolutely no effort that the hotel will get down to the bottom of this. So, lock up your valuables, the theft could be in your room right now. And don't ever count on the Pierre Hotel to take care of their guest, they certainly don't know how. My most traumatizing hotel experience did not take place in a third world country motel, but in one of the most "luxurious" hotels in my favorite city.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Heiko K, General Manager at The Pierre, A Taj Hotel, New York, responded to this review, June 27, 2013
Dear Lucy,

The news of your loss was equally shocking to us at The Pierre and we regret any misperception that Mr. Hommerich was unsympathetic. Please be reassured that nothing could be further from our collective intention.

We followed the process of an investigation and full evaluation that was based on your schedule of availability. Mr. Hommerich was in touch as soon as possible after that.

We are following up with you and share your hope that the missing items will be found.

Generally, all hotels recommend the safekeeping of valuables. We provide a safe in each guest room for that purpose and abide by State laws on liability.

Please do let me know if I can be helpful in the future.

With kind regards,

Heiko Kuenstle

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (123)
Beijing
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

I visit New York often for business and have been staying at the Pierre roughly 3-5 times a year. It's always been a delightful experience, with its tastefully decorated rooms, great location, and friendly and competent staff. That is, until the most recent stay in the 3rd week of June 2013. My colleague left her room in a hurry and left her handbag unzipped, where she placed her jewelry pouch. Whe she came back, two pieces (worth $10,000+) were missing. Christian Hommerich, the hotel manager who handled the case, was anything but helpful. He didn't bother to contact my colleague, who was beyond devastated. When he finally met with my colleague at her request, he was defensive, dismissive and rude. It appeared that his top priority was to protect the hotel from any potential liability, and helping the victim was the last of his concerns. I understand that theft cases like this can be tricky, but I would've expected a five-star hotel like the Pierre to handle it in a more thoughtful way. I guess on the surface it's hard to differentiate among the top hotels (Four Seasons, Peninsula, Mandarin Oriental, etc); but when it comes to situations like this, I see which one I should just cross off my list.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Dear Jane,

We appreciate great concern for a good friend. The news was equally shocking to us at The Pierre. While we are continuing to investigate the loss, we truly regret any misperception that Mr. Hommerich was unsympathetic. We were all very upset, as we have a long service staff who care for our residents and guests and have a very professional and attentive security staff. Caring for your colleague was our collective priority.

However, security must follow a process of investigation and full evaluation that was based on her schedule of availability. Mr. Hommerich then was in touch with her as soon as possible after reviewing the reports while our security head continued to stay in touch. We share the hope that the missing items will be found. And yes, all hotels recommend the safekeeping of valuables. We provide a safe in each guest room for that purpose and abide by State laws on liability.

Please let me know if I can be helpful in the future. I am at your disposal.

With kind regards,

Heiko Kuenstle
West Hartford, Connecticut
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013 via mobile

This was my first stay at The Pierre and the first stay at a Taj. It was a wonderful experience. The staff was warm and welcoming, from the front desk to a server at the lounge to the gentleman who brought me an ironing board. All my needs were met and my room was comfortable and well appointed. The shower was similar to a high-end spa and the bed was extremely comfortable. This hotel was more luxurious than The Palace, which is my most frequented hotel in Manhattan. I would absolutely stay here again if the rate allowed me too.

Stayed June 2013
Marco Island, Fl
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013

Stayed at The Pierre for 4 nights after a long European vacation. Lovely hotel with all the Old World charm! We were upgraded from being a member of leading Hotels of the World. Was disappointed though...after waiting for the room to be prepared and we arrived at regular check in time. Was looking forward to a large bathroom as everyone described only to find out that it was very small and no tub which I love to soak in since I have a bad back.
Still the room was comfortable and bed was a pleasure to sleep in....just thought after waiting over an hour for our room the upgrade that we received in all our Hotels was not as equivalent.
Accolades to the Hotel Staff for a job well done!
However, I do look forward to a return trip that would include a large room and not next to a room full of children with early morning screaming and crying!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Heiko K, General Manager at The Pierre, A Taj Hotel, New York, responded to this review, June 26, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write about your recent stay with us at The Pierre, A Taj Hotel, New York! We are so glad to hear you enjoyed your staff with us and were pleased with your accommodations. I apologized you were disappointed with the size of your bathroom. If you call us directly, we can note this in your personal profile and be sure that during your next stay with us you stay in a room that has a full bathtub so you can rest your back. We appreciate your kind words about your staff, we will be sure to pass along your warm remarks! We look forward to hosting you again and leaving you with an even more enjoyable experience!

Regards,
New York, New York, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013

The staff was warm and welcoming. The room was beautiful with a very comfortable bed. My wife loved the huge bathroom. We live in NYC and are looking forward to returning for another getaway.
The room service breakfast arrived on time; the food was warm/hot and delicious. The location is great--in midtown but slightly away from the hustle and bustle.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

I just returned from a long weekend at the Pierre in New York. Such a welcoming oasis with a friendly and attentive staff.

The location is ideal for shopping, by happenstance I was there on a weekend when all the stores were having their semi-annual sales. Fortunately the concierge was able to arrange to ship my items home, the price was the same as it would've been at a shipping store and it was much more convenient.

I enjoyed dining and drinks at Sirio and 2e, happily the food is much more flavorful than average hotel fare.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Jersey, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2013

What a great location , high rise rooms giving a wonderful view of central park , close by elegant shops , a lovely experience with a sense of an old romantic movie ... can be tad scruffy in places but few locations are better

Room Tip: always ensure park view and high floors