“Style and Grace” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Pierre, A Taj Hotel, New York

Save Saved
You added The Pierre, A Taj Hotel, New York to your Saves list
The Pierre, A Taj Hotel, New York
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2 East 61st Street at Fifth Avenue, New York City, NY 10065 (Manhattan)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Third Night Free
Ranked #75 of 446 hotels in New York City
canada
“Style and Grace”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

We had the pleasure of spending a weekend in NYC with the Taj Hotel, The Pierre. From the warm greeting at the front desk, to the wonderful concierge staff, the elevator attendants (yes, really, they accompany the elevators!) to the lovely man who gave us street directions and hailed cabs, it was a stellar experience. Even the way the housekeeper organized our room as part of the turndown service was akiin to living life like royalty. 2 papers at our door every day - we lived the New York life, drinking coffee at a local restaurant and reading the Times and the Wall Street Journal.

No, we're not the Kardasians, just a couple who found a slightly discounted room online and leaped at the opportunity to go from a 4 star, to a 5 star, and it was a delight. We even remembered how to sleep past nine. 3 nights, 4 days felt like a real vacation. It was hard returning to real life.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

501 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (97)
Laredo, TX
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

We had the absolute pleasure of spending a few special days at The Pierre. It was my wife's first trip to New York and it will unfortunately be hard for me to top the experience largely due to the hotel and its superb staff.

Our concierge Francisco did a splendid job of securing last minute spots for coveted tables and anything else that we fancied. Claudia and the rest of the elevator attendants were great as were the doormen and bar staff. Staying at the Pierre transports one to the glamour of ages past. Our room was spacious and the bathroom definitely above the NYC norm even for top hotels. The location was perfect and one could not be situated any better. We can hardly wait for our next trip back.

Ottawa, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2013

In the past few visits to NYC, we have stayed with a cousin, but since there were too many of us to be accommodated this time, the two of us stayed at the Pierre for the first time. From the minute we entered until we left, we were welcomed, looked after well and generally made to feel very comfortable. Every member of staff with whom we dealt was courteous and efficient, and seemed genuinely pleased to see us.
The location is unbeatable for those wishing to visit Carnegie Hall, the Met Museum, the Frick, and the amazing shops of Madison Avenue. The walk across the south end of Central Park is an easy one for those going to Lincoln Centre.
In addition to the terrific location the room was wonderful, with very comfortable and clean bedding, and a bathroom with enough shelves and lighting for shaving and makeup, and a small walk in closet with a good safe. Our bathroom had separate shower and bath, both with nice shower heads on hoses (and a fixed rain shower head on the main shower, too. Bedroom slippers and robes were provided, and the beds turned down each evening. The TV has many channels, including foreign stations from India, China, etc. The only one that this newshound missed was the BBC World Service. It should have been there!
The hotel has a European air, and I personally found the rooms charming and nicely decorated. The restaurant was expensive for breakfast, but not out of league with some of the major urban chains. As a tea lover, I really appreciated loose tea made as strong as I like it. Feeling pampered, we would like to stay there again!

Vancouver
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

This hotel impressed us from the second we arrived until the second we left. We arrived very early and they were incredibly accommodating, even apologizing for not having our room available at 8 am! They took our luggage, gave us recommendations for breakfast and promised to call us when our room was ready. They did so by 11am and we were taken to a stunning room, with beautiful views of Central park and the city. The concierge, Ivette, had wonderful suggestions of what to do, helped us with tickets, transportation and how to make the most of our short time in the city. As I was celebrating my birthday, everyone went out of their way to wish me a Happy Birthday, and when we arrived back to our room Friday night, a beautiful bouquet of flowers, a bottle of champagne and cheesecake were waiting for us! WOW!
The room was spacious and tastefully decorated. Bed was VERY comfortable and bathroom was large and well laid out. Location was perfect - easy access to everything and the service was outstanding! My only criticism was no coffee maker in the room. Other than that, I would definitely stay at this hotel again.

Room Tip: King size bed, city view on 17th floor was what we had and it was perfect. Not noisy at all.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Heiko K, General Manager at The Pierre, A Taj Hotel, New York, responded to this review, April 30, 2013
Dear PB2013Vancouver,

Happy Belated Birthday! We are so delighted to hear you chose to spend this special day with us here at The Pierre, A Taj Hotel, New York and that you had such an enjoyable experience. I will definitely be sure to relay the message to Ivette and share with her your kind words and appreciation. We hope you enjoyed your champagne and cheesecake birthday cake; we always are looking for ways to make our guests stay more memorable. It sounds as though you were able to take advantage of our centralized location, steps away from world class shopping, top restaurants and museums. We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel sometime in the near future. Let us continue to make birthday memories together!

Warm Regards,
Finland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013

I stayed at the Pierre for a weekend break - and I really loved it. I can partially understand that some reviewers are a bit critical towards the hotel. BUT if you are - like myself- from Europe the hotel is completely breath of fresh air. I had a pre-organised transportation from the JFK to the hotel where I was met at the street (!) by a very nice receptionist who took me immediately to my room for check-in formalities. This is service that I like! The room was not the biggest by American standards but nonetheless very clean and nice (and the bed was heavenly!). The concierge was excellent, they even managed to get me in the Le Bernardin (for a very late request) and made other great restaurant recommendations - and handled very well a situation where I was I bit frustrated not to find a recommended restaurant by foot and after returning to the hotel a taxi was immediatey orderded for me. I really liked the lift operators (like in Claridge's in London), service in the breakfast room, house keeping (exceptional!) and the room service. All in all, I can highly recommend this hotel!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013

A pleasant stay, this is a nice hotel in a good location, easy to get to and from.
Service was generally professional and efficient.
The room was good, the bathroom was spacious and well laid out.
The bed was very comfortable although I had not slept in a single bed for many years. I had contacted Taj Reservation to request a room with one bed but ended up in a room with twin single beds.
The layout of the hotel meant I rarely used main foyer as the 5th avenue entrance was more convenient. I only went to main lobby when I needed the concierge.
Breakfast was good and the service was friendly and efficient.
My only criticism is that this hotel lacked the personalised service I have experienced in Taj Hotel in India.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Heiko K, General Manager at The Pierre, A Taj Hotel, New York, responded to this review, March 22, 2013
Dear Petermelb,
It is wonderful to hear you had a pleasant stay with us, and enjoyed our breakfast service and centralized location. We do apologize you did not receive the room type you had requested. We have shared this information with our Front Desk to investigate why this is so.

Our team strives to provide the utmost in personal service, so we appreciate your feedback to help us achieve this goal. We hope you had a wonderful stay in New York City, and we would love the opportunity to impress you on your next visit with us.

Sincere regards,
Heiko Kuenstle
Pensacola, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

Like the other reviews for this hotel, we found The Pierre, to be in a great location giving you quick walks to midtown, the park, and upper east side. It is the service that is lacking. Here are a few examples. 1. No door man or bell man to help with bags at main entrance on 61st. I went inside to ask and a lady that seemed to be in charge. She said yes there should be someone and watched me bring my own bags in. I was in shock as i watched at least 12 people behind 3 counters watch me try and pull 3 large suit cases. Example 2- After ordering a pot of coffe and 1 bannana (that cost $50 from room service) my wife needed cream. After waiting 25 minutes we called back and they said we must have gave wrong room number? (even though they have caller ID). There are more, but the theme continued to always be it must be something we did wrong, they were never worng! The St Regis and the Surrey are still our favorites in NYC and we will not be visiting the The Pierre again. Poor Management!

Dear Noletraveler88,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback regarding your stay at The Pierre, A Taj Hotel. We were delighted to hear you took advantage of our centralized location on Fifth Avenue across from Central Park.

Please also know we take your critical feedback very seriously and have followed up with our Director of Rooms and our Director of Room Service regarding your comments. It is by listening to our guests that we are able to attain our goal for service excellence, which allows us to maintain our Five Diamond status for exceptional service. Thank you for helping us achieve this.

We truly apologize for any inconvenience during your stay, and we hope to have the opportunity to host you again and provide an experience that exceeds your expectations.

Regards,

Been to The Pierre, A Taj Hotel, New York? Share your experiences!