“Excellent” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Pierre, A Taj Hotel, New York

You added The Pierre, A Taj Hotel, New York to your Saves list
The Pierre, A Taj Hotel, New York
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2 East 61st Street at Fifth Avenue, New York City, NY 10065 (Upper East Side)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Third Night Free
Ranked #46 of 468 Hotels in New York City
Finland
“Excellent”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013

I stayed at the Pierre for a weekend break - and I really loved it. I can partially understand that some reviewers are a bit critical towards the hotel. BUT if you are - like myself- from Europe the hotel is completely breath of fresh air. I had a pre-organised transportation from the JFK to the hotel where I was met at the street (!) by a very nice receptionist who took me immediately to my room for check-in formalities. This is service that I like! The room was not the biggest by American standards but nonetheless very clean and nice (and the bed was heavenly!). The concierge was excellent, they even managed to get me in the Le Bernardin (for a very late request) and made other great restaurant recommendations - and handled very well a situation where I was I bit frustrated not to find a recommended restaurant by foot and after returning to the hotel a taxi was immediatey orderded for me. I really liked the lift operators (like in Claridge's in London), service in the breakfast room, house keeping (exceptional!) and the room service. All in all, I can highly recommend this hotel!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (173)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013

A pleasant stay, this is a nice hotel in a good location, easy to get to and from.
Service was generally professional and efficient.
The room was good, the bathroom was spacious and well laid out.
The bed was very comfortable although I had not slept in a single bed for many years. I had contacted Taj Reservation to request a room with one bed but ended up in a room with twin single beds.
The layout of the hotel meant I rarely used main foyer as the 5th avenue entrance was more convenient. I only went to main lobby when I needed the concierge.
Breakfast was good and the service was friendly and efficient.
My only criticism is that this hotel lacked the personalised service I have experienced in Taj Hotel in India.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Heiko K, General Manager at The Pierre, A Taj Hotel, New York, responded to this review, March 22, 2013
Dear Petermelb,
It is wonderful to hear you had a pleasant stay with us, and enjoyed our breakfast service and centralized location. We do apologize you did not receive the room type you had requested. We have shared this information with our Front Desk to investigate why this is so.

Our team strives to provide the utmost in personal service, so we appreciate your feedback to help us achieve this goal. We hope you had a wonderful stay in New York City, and we would love the opportunity to impress you on your next visit with us.

Sincere regards,
Pensacola, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

Like the other reviews for this hotel, we found The Pierre, to be in a great location giving you quick walks to midtown, the park, and upper east side. It is the service that is lacking. Here are a few examples. 1. No door man or bell man to help with bags at main entrance on 61st. I went inside to ask and a lady that seemed to be in charge. She said yes there should be someone and watched me bring my own bags in. I was in shock as i watched at least 12 people behind 3 counters watch me try and pull 3 large suit cases. Example 2- After ordering a pot of coffe and 1 bannana (that cost $50 from room service) my wife needed cream. After waiting 25 minutes we called back and they said we must have gave wrong room number? (even though they have caller ID). There are more, but the theme continued to always be it must be something we did wrong, they were never worng! The St Regis and the Surrey are still our favorites in NYC and we will not be visiting the The Pierre again. Poor Management!

Dear Noletraveler88,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback regarding your stay at The Pierre, A Taj Hotel. We were delighted to hear you took advantage of our centralized location on Fifth Avenue across from Central Park.

Please also know we take your critical feedback very seriously and have followed up with our Director of Rooms and our Director of Room Service regarding your comments. It is by listening to our guests that we are able to attain our goal for service excellence, which allows us to maintain our Five Diamond status for exceptional service. Thank you for helping us achieve this.

We truly apologize for any inconvenience during your stay, and we hope to have the opportunity to host you again and provide an experience that exceeds your expectations.

Regards,
Ottawa, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2013

I cannot think about better location for a family trip to NY, but for the money I paid I expected much more from the hotel.
Personally I don't mind to push buttons in the elevator, but the hotel looks very outdated:
- room doors are probably half a century old, and they not sound proofed, so you can hear every noise in the hallway;
- air-condition is noisy. To be fair is noisy in most hotels, but hi-end ones usually don't have the problem;
- the bathroom is nicely renovated, but guy who designed it obviously never tried to use it. It's very strange and incontinent setup, with very little space for the toiletries.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Dear Mike A,
Thank you for choosing The Pierre, A Taj Hotel for your family vacation. I trust you enjoyed our front yard--Central Park--during your stay!

The Pierre is an iconic building in New York City due to its storied history and classic style. When Taj Hotels, Resorts and Palaces began managing the property several years ago, they invested over $100 million to restore every guest room and public space in the entire property. The hotel is also distinctive in that each guestroom enjoys a unique layout with different room configurations. If you would be interested in contacting us, we would greatly appreciate the opportunity to update your profile with the preferences you have shared.

We apologize for any inconveniences during your stay and we sincerely hope to have the opportunity to host you. We can assure you that your family’s next visit with us will exceed your expectations.
Best regards,
Cape Town Central, South Africa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013

We checked into the Pierre for two nights and were given what we had asked for, a room with a view of Central Park, on a high floor. The room was lovely but what a disappointment! The bath-room had no bath and was absolutely tiny with no place to put anything as normal as
a make-up bag. There was no dressing table in the bedroom with a mirror either. The receptionist offered us a larger room on a low floor but it looked onto a fire escape and we wanted to be high up and not be awakened by rubbish trucks in the early morning. Also we did not come to New Your to a hotel overlooking Central Park to look at a fire escape! For an expensive hotel this seems incredible and was a great disappointment. Another problem was that the air conditioning only operates at full blast or not at all. This hotel has recently re-opened after a refurbishment so this seems very odd.

The staff were all friendly and efficient from the lift operators to the concierge crew and we enjoyed dining in the restaurant of the hotel but it is unlikely we will return.

Room Tip: High floor WITH a bath!
Dear Caroline Z,
We truly appreciate you taking the time to share your experience staying with us at The Pierre, A Taj Hotel. We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed our charming elevator attendants and our new Sirio Ristorante.

The Pierre is very distinctive in that each guestroom enjoys a unique layout with different room configurations. There are many different options to cater to the needs of our guests’ preferences. We apologize due to high occupancy we were unable to accommodate your specific room type. If you would be interested in contacting us directly, we would greatly appreciate the opportunity to update your profile with the preferences you have shared, so that your next visit will exceed your expectations in a guest room perfectly suited to your needs.

We look forward to hearing from you.

Kind regards,
chicago
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

Location is great, the bathroom was small, and the fan was loud and ran all night. Service in general was not polished, the 5th avenue doorman was surprisingly unaccommodating, we usually stay at the Ritz but wanted to try the Pierre, will not be back.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Saint Louis, Missouri
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2013

So, my buddy called this "old school" which I found to be a compliment. That means they know how to do it. The Pierre is not for the faint at heart when it comes to budget but if that is not an issue you can not beat the fantastic location and excellent service. I booked through AMEX and the extra features were nice for sure. No upgrade which left us in a relatively small king, no view and a bit old in some ways yet the bedding and features were very clean and bathroom quite large for the room. Great feature of separate tub to shower with the large rain head shower being nice feature. Minor mixups in reservation names (a real mystery) and wrong paper delivery each morning kept the full 5 stars. But, do not let these minor details keep you from OLD SCHOOL. Sometimes that's best.

Room Tip: Try to get a park view for sure. We were on 10th floor (1022) which was nothing special. Again, clea...