“Bathrooms should have a bath!” 3 of 5 stars

Save Saved
You added The Pierre, A Taj Hotel, New York to your Saves list
Prices are for rooms, adults
The Pierre, A Taj Hotel, New York
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2 East 61st Street at Fifth Avenue, New York City, NY 10065 (Manhattan)   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Fourth Night Free
Ranked #38 of 452 hotels in New York City
Cape Town Central, South Africa
“Bathrooms should have a bath!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013

We checked into the Pierre for two nights and were given what we had asked for, a room with a view of Central Park, on a high floor. The room was lovely but what a disappointment! The bath-room had no bath and was absolutely tiny with no place to put anything as normal as
a make-up bag. There was no dressing table in the bedroom with a mirror either. The receptionist offered us a larger room on a low floor but it looked onto a fire escape and we wanted to be high up and not be awakened by rubbish trucks in the early morning. Also we did not come to New Your to a hotel overlooking Central Park to look at a fire escape! For an expensive hotel this seems incredible and was a great disappointment. Another problem was that the air conditioning only operates at full blast or not at all. This hotel has recently re-opened after a refurbishment so this seems very odd.

The staff were all friendly and efficient from the lift operators to the concierge crew and we enjoyed dining in the restaurant of the hotel but it is unlikely we will return.

Room Tip: High floor WITH a bath!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Heiko K, General Manager at The Pierre, A Taj Hotel, New York, responded to this review, March 22, 2013
Dear Caroline Z,
We truly appreciate you taking the time to share your experience staying with us at The Pierre, A Taj Hotel. We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed our charming elevator attendants and our new Sirio Ristorante.

The Pierre is very distinctive in that each guestroom enjoys a unique layout with different room configurations. There are many different options to cater to the needs of our guests’ preferences. We apologize due to high occupancy we were unable to accommodate your specific room type. If you would be interested in contacting us directly, we would greatly appreciate the opportunity to update your profile with the preferences you have shared, so that your next visit will exceed your expectations in a guest room perfectly suited to your needs.

We look forward to hearing from you.

Kind regards,
Heiko Kuenstle

605 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (115)
chicago
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

Location is great, the bathroom was small, and the fan was loud and ran all night. Service in general was not polished, the 5th avenue doorman was surprisingly unaccommodating, we usually stay at the Ritz but wanted to try the Pierre, will not be back.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Saint Louis, Missouri
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2013

So, my buddy called this "old school" which I found to be a compliment. That means they know how to do it. The Pierre is not for the faint at heart when it comes to budget but if that is not an issue you can not beat the fantastic location and excellent service. I booked through AMEX and the extra features were nice for sure. No upgrade which left us in a relatively small king, no view and a bit old in some ways yet the bedding and features were very clean and bathroom quite large for the room. Great feature of separate tub to shower with the large rain head shower being nice feature. Minor mixups in reservation names (a real mystery) and wrong paper delivery each morning kept the full 5 stars. But, do not let these minor details keep you from OLD SCHOOL. Sometimes that's best.

Room Tip: Try to get a park view for sure. We were on 10th floor (1022) which was nothing special. Again, clea...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013

I stayed at the Pierre Hotel for 2 nights on a business trip to NY. I arrived around 6pm hoping to check in and head off to dinner at 7pm. I was checked into a rather large classic room - it was really very nice and I was quite surprised by the size for a midtown hotel room, but of course the heater made a loud banging noise that wasn't easily fixed by the engineers who made 2 trips to my room! So I was moved to a normal classic, which was still a good size for a NY hotel, but I was a bit disappointed and felt while the front desk was polite, they didn't handle it very smoothly. There seemed to be quite a few trainees on staff, which made the service, while friendly, a bit unpolished. I'd probably consider staying here again, but will probably explore some other options for my next trip.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Heiko K, General Manager at The Pierre, A Taj Hotel, New York, responded to this review, March 6, 2013
Dear Rajionthereddot,
Thank you so much for choosing The Pierre, A Taj Hotel for your stay in New York City. We appreciate that you took the time to share what you enjoyed, and what could have been better on your next visit with us. We do have new members of the team, and they are very excited to provide the Five Diamond service The Pierre, A Taj Hotel is known for. Our Front Desk team has been made aware of your experience. We do apologize for these inconveniences during your stay and sincerely hope you will give us the opportunity to exceed your expectations on an upcoming visit. We value your business and feedback.
Sincere regards,
London, UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013

When I started researching NYC hotels for my trip I found it a real challenge. The most famous hotel, in my mind at least, is The Plaza, but that is now mainly residential, and The Oak Room is closed due to ongoing litigation, in short, it isn’t what it was. In fact a wander though the tourist attraction lobby only served to confirm this. Having discounted The Plaza, I discounted the “chains” such as Four Seasons, Ritz Carltons, and Mandarin Oriental, and was left between the choice of something boutiquey and trendy, or traditional. For a luxury hotel in a somewhat traditional city (restaurants still enforce dress codes) I thought the latter was definitely the right way to go. The one with the best location, and most recent refurbishment, and promise of excellent service led me to choose The Pierre.

The lobby of The Pierre stretches from E 61st St to 5th Avenue. There are always doormen on hand to push the revolving doors, order you a cab, or help with your luggage. The lobby connects the hotel bar 2E (61st St side) which serves interesting and well made drinks as well as refined cuisine – it really is a bar worth visiting even if you are not a resident – to the 5th Avenue entrance with the famous Rotunda which leads into Sirio Ristorante (more on that later).

The reception desk was very professional and checked me in and showed me to my suite. As a Leaders Club member I had kindly been upgraded to a city view. The first suite I stayed in whilst very generous in size was on a relatively low (by US standards anyway) floor so the view was on level with neighbouring buildings rather than over rooftops, and the noise from the street was quite disturbing; one morning I found myself woken in the small hours by what sounded like some bins being emptied. It really is worth paying the extra money to guarantee a high floor which is far quieter and the aspect is a truly great view of the city. Something that seems to be the case with all their suites – save the very very best ones – is that the bathrooms, whilst they could never be considered small (separate large shower and bath tub), are a bit on the small side compared to the size of the bedroom and living room. That said, it becomes a minor point because they are well appointed in polished marble with lots of Molton Brown goodies. Another gripe of mine is that they have not installed more modern thermostats and heating/cooling fan units in the rooms. The fan noise in both suites was very audible; an engineer was despatched to turn the fan speed down which more or less completely resolved the issue. I now know what a previous reviewer meant when they said that they wished the hotel had spent more on the refurb. The rooms themselves have very luxurious fabrics, stylish furniture and a very refined classical style, it is just a shame the infrastructure wasn’t treated to a similar upgrade. All that said, the rooms are extremely comfortable with lots of extras to make for a comfortable stay.

The concierge team, headed by the fabulous Maurice, deserve special mention. Prior to my stay I had lots of contact with them to help with restaurant reservations (they got me tables at all the hard to book restaurants, even Per Se!) and planning my trip. They were so helpful, so kind, so professional that I can do nothing but praise them. Of course I also encountered them often during my stay, and they were equally wonderful in assisting me. The warmth, and personal service they delivered was another reason that The Pierre will always stand out for me. They went the extra mile to ensure that my trip was as good as it could possibly be.

The elevator attendants are a really nice luxury. They were all very charming, and it was nice to have a short chat with them; it ensured that The Pierre’s hallmark service was always being delivered wherever you were, even in the lifts!

Prior to Sirio’s arrival towards the latter half of 2012 the restaurant had been provided by an outpost of London’s Le Caprice. The restaurant is a long narrow room, almost corridor like, so it is not the easiest space to fill successfully. Sirio is beautifully designed in shades of brown, taupe and cream with lots of glossy lacquered wood like a Riva speedboat or yacht; it looks great and really works. Dinner was a joy, a largely classical menu in concept, but with 21st century tweaks here and there. I’d recommend going with the simplest dishes and choosing one of their excellent and perfectly cooked pasta dishes for a main course and you won’t be disappointed. The service was attentive, and the staff had charm and character. It feels like the sort of restaurant that will have lots of regulars returning for good quality, and really enjoyable Italian cuisine. The quality of the food at breakfast is on par with dinner, a courgette frittata with lots of fresh herbs really stands out as a distinctive breakfast dish. Breads and Viennoiserie were well made and of an high standard. The only downside for me was that at breakfast time, whilst the staff were just as kind and helpful, the service just wasn’t quite as smooth or slick. This is a very minor point, but hopefully one that can be improved upon.

During my stay I did have a look at the fitness room, it is equipped with some of the latest machines, as well as having lots of nice touches such as smoothies and other drinks. It’s not a 10,000 sq m spa, but this is NYC and there are only an handful of deluxe hotels which have a large spa/pool.

The hotel courtesy car is another nice extra, although nine times out of ten someone else is always using it when you want it, but if you’re lucky and it’s there a free journey in an S Class is much more pleasant than a yellow cab!

The Pierre is a very classic, refined, almost low key property that delivers perfect service with distinctive and classical accommodations. If you want a NYC with character and distinction, and lots of class you will not find a better choice!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Plymouth, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2013

3 night stay in Pierre Suite. Amex Fine Hotels and Resorts package included 3 nights stay for the price of 2, continental breakfast, $100 food and beverage credit, late checkout, free wi-fi and a few other perqs.Overall experience was very positive.

Doormen were prompt and courteous when we drove up. Smooth check in. Room was exactly as described on their website.

The suite was well appointed and luxurious. Classic decor, muted yellow/gold colors. Furnishings very comfprtable, as were the bed linens. Nice TVs and sound system. Super quiet. Thermostat, light switches. etc. were easy to use unlike at some high end hotels where they seem delight in form over function (this means you, W).

The bathroom was large with a luxurious shower booth.Tub is not the biggest I have seen lately but adequate. Great toiletries.

Room service, housekeeping and bellmen were super-prompt and efficient. The front desk came through on a couple of special requests. For example, after we checked in I discovered I had left my IPhone behind in our car. Less than 5 minutes after I called the front desk about it, a slightly breathless bellmen brought ot to us in a monogrammed box and asked if we needed to borrow a charger.

The bar is elegant but not very comfortable in my opinion.

We did enjoy the restaurant Sirio. Great for breakfast, mid-day snacks and cocktails. Try the Grumpy Conquistador for a spicy alternative to a bloody mary. One evening the famous proprietor Sirio Maccioni saw me admiring the many photos of him with heads of state and celebrities and winked at me when I glanced over at him. Or maybe he winked at my wife...he seems to be quite a ladies' man.

A distinctive feature is the white-gloved attendant-operated elevators. As first we thought it was a ridiculous extravagance but it does sort of grow on you. The attendants are multi-lingual, charming and attractive, so why not?

We've stayed at the Plaza, Ritz-Carlton, Essex and Mandarin Oriental in the last 3 years, and I have to say that our stay at the Pierre was as pleasant as any. Looking forward to a return visit!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013 via mobile

Once I was used to the lift attendant pressing the button for me I just fell into the routine of the pierre !
Elegance personified, staff very helpful and courteous Room turn down each evening was exceptionally as was service each morning
Beautiful stay

Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Heiko K, General Manager at The Pierre, A Taj Hotel, New York, responded to this review, April 30, 2013
Dear Milly1850,

Thank you so much for taking the time to share about your recent stay with us at The Pierre, A Taj Hotel, New York. It is very special for our staff to receive such wonderful compliments from guests; we truly appreciate you taking the time to do so. Our elevator operators are unique to The Pierre, A Taj Hotel, so we are glad you were able to enjoy their services. We look forward to welcoming you back the next time you are in New York City.

Regards,
Prices are for rooms, adults

Been to The Pierre, A Taj Hotel, New York? Share your experiences!