“Incredible!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Pierre, A Taj Hotel, New York

You added The Pierre, A Taj Hotel, New York to your Saves list
The Pierre, A Taj Hotel, New York
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2 East 61st Street at Fifth Avenue, New York City, NY 10065 (Upper East Side)   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #32 of 461 Hotels in New York City
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Connecticut
“Incredible!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2012

We stayed at The Pierre for our son's wedding, and everything was perfect! Our room was upgraded to a gorgeous, spacious suite, the location on Central Park was perfect and the staff was incredibly attentive. I highly recommend The Pierre for anyone looking for a five star experience in Manhattan.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (152)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Florida Keys
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2012

I was searching for something upscale for a trip my daughter and I took. I was torn between the The Pierre, The Waldorf or The Plaza, and I have to say, I am happy I choose The Pierre. I did visit the other two to see the insides of each, and The Pierre appealed to me more than either of them.

It is smaller than the other two I considered and I think that is what makes it stand out so much. The attention to detail and to customer service is phenomenal. From the doormen to the elevator operators, every member of the staff greets you with an genuine greeting, not some canned "hello".

There is a certain air of old world charm and sophistication about the entire property. Our room was very nicely decorated and the bathroom was incredible. Very large with a roman tub and walk-in shower. The room had a tall window overlooking 61st street. True, the hallways appear to have no air conditioning at all, or very little, so they were warm, but not unbearably so. Once you were in the elevator or back to your room, there was ample AC. Housekeeping makes their rounds twice a day, but are so stealth that you never see them. No housekeeping carts in the hallways, just obvious service. You're provided with plush bathrobes and slippers for your stay.

The location is excellent - directly across from Central Park. Subway access is also directly across, so transportation is at your fingertips. If the subway is not for you, the doorman will gladly hail you a cab. One evening the doorman could not get us a cab and we were provided the hotel car - a posh Jaguar - for our drive to dinner.

If you want to be impressed, this is the hotel for you. This will be my choice for any future trips I make to the city.

Room Tip: Upgrade to at least a city view room.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Heiko K, General Manager at The Pierre, A Taj Hotel, New York, responded to this review, August 28, 2012
Dear KeysKindofGirl,

First and foremost, we hope you and your daughter had a fabulous girl’s trip to New York City. Judging by your review, it sounds as though you most certainly did! We are so happy to hear you were pleased with your final decision to stay with us here at The Pierre, A Taj Hotel.
We are so pleased to hear you appreciated our customer service, and we will be sure to pass along these kind words to our staff and elevator operators. It is through such thoughtful support and feedback like yours that our staff continues to be inspired to provide impeccable service each day. We pride ourselves on our old warm charm and sophistication, and are glad you enjoyed this atmosphere. We are also happy you enjoyed our panoramic views of Central Park and the Manhattan skyline, as well as our large bathroom and shower!

Our new complimentary house car just arrived, the 2012 Jaguar XJ, so we are excited to hear you were able to take advantage of it! It sounds as though you were very pleased with our centralized location as well, just steps away from high-end shopping, famous museums and restaurants.

We are so delighted to hear The Pierre will be your future “home away from home” when traveling to New York City! We look forward to welcoming you and your daughter back in the near future.

Kuwait City, Kuwait
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2012

If you ever experienced another Taj hotel you better miss this hotel out. You will be very disappointed because of some poor professionals and the lack of the “Taj spirit”. Unfortunately, I was misled by some of the Internet comments praising this hotel but I must admit: Gentlemen, guys, have you ever been to another Taj hotel????? This hotel doesn’t even come close to the Taj standards you will find elsewhere hence I attach some examples:

1) Whenever you enter the hotel all employees at the main entrance will look busy
2) Don’t be surprised if the concierge will check her messages on her PRIVATE I-Phone during her explanations to you
3) You might return at 23.00pm on Saturday from a lovely dinner with your wife and want to finish perhaps the evening with a glass of champagne. Please don’t be surprised if the bar is closed for a private venue (without notice)........and don’t fall apart if the night shift will recommend to you: “one of the other hotels down the road, to have the night cup”, thank you (5th Avenue.....)
4) Surprise, surprise..........and the bar was also closed on Sunday evening, like a concert hall or public hall, mainly occupied during weekends
5) No other restaurants available due to refurbishment works, or.....
6) Renovation works, they obviously have no vacation

Dear Users,
If you are looking for a hotel close to the city and central park “The Pierre” will be perfect. Despite all adversities, my wife and I enjoyed the very professional service at breakfast and once the bar was open for public, but you will share my expectations and experiences that this is by far not enough to be considered a Taj hotel. Furthermore, if you believe my review, you will also share the idea that 4star hotels in general offer more value and better professionalism; ok I might also miss the very friendly doorman or liftboy but..................... is that really enough?

Naples, Florida, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2012

The Pierre is located across the street from Central Park. Pierre at the front desk was super helpful...the room needs updating but the bed and sheets were perfect! Overall staff was very professional!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Adelaide, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2012

This was hands down the most amazing and professionally run hotel I have ever stayed in! The room was large and very well maintained (housekeeping comes twice a day). The bed was very comfortable and they provided all amenities needed (except an ironing board - but then I never asked). Although it was pricey it was worth every single cent, would definitely stay again in fact couldn't imagine staying anywhere else!

Room Tip: I paid the lowest rate and my room, although it didn't have a view was very quiet (it was the fr...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Dear Nicole W,

Thank you so much for your glowing review, we truly appreciate you taking the time to do so! We are so glad to hear you enjoyed our spacious rooms and twice daily housekeeping service. We strive to make our guests feel as comfortable as possible during the entire duration of their stay. We apologize that we did not have an ironing board in your room, however if requested we would have been more than happy to provide you with one hour pressing. We hope to make The Pierre, A Taj Hotel your “home away from home” and look forward to welcoming you on your next visit!

Koksijde Bad, Belgium
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2012

Great location for "the pierre": on central park, on 5th.Excellent rooms, perfect bathroom, great bed, cosy breakfast buffet, excellent service and prices that you have to pay in New York. An international staff that is both professional and friendly. The afternoon tea in the bar is priced as if the sandwiches were made of gold...may be they are but I did not try them.

New Jeresy
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2012

I stayed at the hotel very recently(my first visit in15 years). Some things haven't changed; the location is great, the staff is friendly. However a couple of small negatives. I think it is time for the rooms to be updated,refurbished. Also, from a service perspective, a little work could be done. In the morning I ordered coffee and a cold dish for breakfast, I was told this would take 30 minutes to deliver. I asked if I could get it a little quicker(I really wanted my coffee). Room service was non-committal . It ended up taking 30 minutes. Despite being a very nice breakfast, I would have preferred more prompt service.

Dear Lenjoy Travel,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay with us. We are thrilled to hear you enjoyed our centralized location, as well as our friendly staff. We appreciate your comments in regards to your room service request, as it gives us the opportunity to review your experience and make sure we are maintaining our five diamond service as we continually strive to exceed our guests’ personal service standards. We apologize for your thirty minute wait, however are happy to hear you enjoyed your meal. We look forward to the opportunity of hosting you again in the near future!

Regards,

Been to The Pierre, A Taj Hotel, New York? Share your experiences!