“What a difference a year makes.” 3 of 5 stars
Review of The Westin New York Grand Central

You added The Westin New York Grand Central to your Saves list
The Westin New York Grand Central
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   212 East 42nd Street, Between 2nd Ave and 3rd Ave, New York City, NY 10017 (Manhattan)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Breakfast for 2 Included
Ranked #212 of 459 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersBronze level
North Carolina
“What a difference a year makes.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2014

We stayed at this property last summer and had a great experience. The location is great, the rooms were clean & we experienced no issues. This year not so much! The first issue was my son woke up at 5 am with a huge water bug crawling on his face - yuck. We switched rooms and I took a shower standing in a couple of inches of water. Not only did the bug and standing in water make us feel unclean but what a hassle moving rooms when you have a packed schedule. The hotel manager listened to these problems and adjusted the bill which was a very classy thing to do. We appreciated the manager responding to the issues we experienced but I would rather not experience the problems in the first place. I will look into alternate hotels for our next visit.

Room Tip: Higher up not on 42nd street helps with the noise. I have a portable sound machine & even the 6...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Joe B, Guest Relations Manager at The Westin New York Grand Central, responded to this review, June 29, 2014
We are sorry to hear that you had a negative experience with us this past visit. As you have experience great visits with us in the past we would appreciate the opportunity to win back your loyalty. It was our pleasure to address you issues and adjust off the bill, however as you are still hesitant with your choice of hotels I’d appreciate the chance to talk to you about your experience. We don’t want you to leave with this impression of our property.

Director of Guest Services

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (347)
Nanaimo, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2014

Have now stayed here twice, and highly recommend it. Great location, just a couple of blocks from Grand Central Terminal so you can get anywhere by subway in a snap! Have also found the staff and service here to always be extremely welcoming and helpful. Highly recommended!

Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Jens,

We are delighted you highly recommend our property! We can't wait to welcome you back as you enjoyed our service, location and amenities!Thank you for the great review of our hotel!

See you again soon!

Boston, MA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2014

Stayed here for a business conference for just two days. Was greeted nicely and given a room on the 38th floor with excellent views of the river and downtown. The bathroom was modern, with a rain shower and quite spacious for NYC. The bed was comfortable and the flat screen was quality as well. The only issue that I had (but I corrected it) was with the AC. It was in the upper 80s and getting muggy. I cranked the AC all the way down, but did not feel it get cold enough until I turned off the ECO mode. The environmentalists may not like that, but I found the AC was inefficient in eco mode.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
We were delighted to offer you a warm welcome to our property! It is our pleasure having you as our special guests. We appreciate you choosing to stay with us and are delighted to hear you enjoyed the spacious bedrooms and Heavenly Bed and Shower. We designed these products with you in mind.

Miami, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2014

This hotel was selected by my sister, a seasoned world traveler to accomodate out of town friends and family for her daughter's Bat Mitzvah weekend. Staff was professional and bellman were accomodating and efficient.
Room was a great value for New York, and location was extremely convenient for access to museums, the best steak houses in the City and the Oyster Bar at Grand Central station...would stay there again!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
We look forward to welcoming you again! Thank you for honest review! We are delighted we were able to provide you the service Starwood and the Westin is known for.

Wayne, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2014

I stayed at the Westin Grand Central over Memorial Day Weekend and picked the hotel because of location and price. While location was excellent, there were a few issues. I was grossly overcharged for my 2 night stay, despite being reassured when checking out that there wouldn't be an issue and I would be charged the correct amount. It took 5 days for the amount to be refunded to my credit card. Also, when checking in, our room wasn't ready, which was fine, but as we checked our bags, the bellhops were arguing, which was extremely unprofessional. On our second night, we were rudely woken up at 7 am by the fire alarm going off, only to find out it was an error and then there were at least 5 more announcements that the alarm had gone off in error for the next 20 minutes or so. I certainly wouldn't have expected this at a 4 star hotel. On the plus side, the Westin in centrally located, an easy walk to Grand Central and the subway, not too far of a walk from Times Square either. The bed was comfortable and the room was very clean. I'm not sure I would stay here again due to the issues I experienced. I also had trouble getting on to the internet and when I asked at the front desk about this, the person working was not very friendly or helpful.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Hello Anne,
I want to thank you for your honest feedback. The experience you had was not up to our standards of service we aim to provide. I completely agree the service issues with the bellmen are completely unacceptable. I have forwarded this feedback to our Director of Front Office and he is going to address our bell staff to ensure this doesn’t happen in the future. I apologize for the experience you had with your folio, however I am happy we were able to resolve the issue.

Unfortunately, for the fire alarm that was uncontrolled as a young guest had set it off. We are sorry that interrupted your morning as we would never have wanted that to be how you woke up at our property.

Please contact me directly if you wish to discuss your experience further as I agree this is not the experience we would want you to have at our property.

Irvine, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2014

1. Mold infested bathroom
2. Unprofessional Staff
3. Sub-par brand experience
4. Personal item stolen from the room

My experience at this particular Starwood property was during last Easter holidays. Our family including a 3 years old checked in on Sunday evening and out on Friday morning.

First of all, despite the promise of child friendly establishment, the room was in unacceptable condition while amenities missing from the room. Contrast to hotel services and accommodations list, the room was missing step-stool, potty seat, and so called "Fun" toys and activities bag specially designed for children. In return, we got mold infested bathroom, uneven-surface booster seat for step-stools (obviously for the safely of our child we refused), and a staff that wasn't even aware of children oriented goodies/activities. I mean in managerial position, he/she should know better to reduce the risk of injuring a child by not offering booster seat to replace as step-stools. Completely unaware of safety, injury risks, and liability.

I have one too many things to say bad about this "Westin" experience but one of them tops them all. On the day before our departure date, we lost a piece of jewelry worth about $800 that was kept inside a pouch. The hotel did its routine of ringing our family through their insurance company and dragged out any resolution for the past month or so. And the insurance company conducted so called "investigation" and found that there is no reason to suspect the hotel's staff so it must conclude that hotel is not liable. I am not even sure if this adjuster from the insurance company is qualified to conduct such "investigation" but it sure is subjective to not suspect anyone/event for the items to be missing from the hotel rooms. Also, they keep telling me that I have to keep all my high-value items (including clothing) in a in-room safe. I mean, how am I suppose to keep my suit, laptop, ipad, etc... in a safe that is a size of half a shoe box?

For my work/personal trips, I am a Gold SPG member and I used to find Westin a relatively well established brand/hotel. But, given how the latest experience of Starwood and Westin, I am certain that it's not worth my time/money. The basis of asking the customers to be loyal is to treat them back with hospitality and a great experience to remember by. For many years I've been using Starwood properties, I have a really hard time recalling an "experience" I can share with my friends and recommend them to try. Yes, there is a generic "welcome" smile when you check in and all. And I do believe my experience doesn't reflect all Starwood staff. But, the fact is, even with Gold SPG status, I never got upgraded rooms nor had and expedited services. I got the same room I paid for and stayed in the same line everybody else was standing. Not really sure if there is any reward for being a loyal customer to this brand.

It's good business for Westing and Starwood when a guest doesn't complaint and returns for more stays. But in the light of incidents and complaint for lost of personal items and sub-par brand experience, the company is nowhere to be found.

I might as well give some money to charity whenever I am away from home traveling and camp in the wilderness instead. I would probably have similar sense of security and environment.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
As per our earlier conversation, we attempted to assist you regarding your service issue.

Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2014

I have stayed at this property many times for business but this was my first time for pleasure. My son and I stayed here for 6 days to celebrate his 13th birthday. We were greeted warmly by Deidre who provided us a refrigerator for our room and wished my son a happy birthday. She made sure we had reservations/tickets for all our activities and knew our transportation options. I appreciated Deidre recognizing I was a return visitor and acknowledging my starwood status. She could not have been any nicer or more helpful. Stephanie in guest relations had a birthday brownie sent up for my son. The location of the property is excellent and the renovations made when this property became a Westin are enourmously better than when I stayed here as the Helmsley. The concierge was also very helpful with reservations and helping me identify the transportation options to get from NJ to midtown. The location in proximity to Grand Central station can't be beat. I highly recommend this property for the service, location and larger than usual rooms for the city. When staying at this property, ask for what you need to make your stay comfortable and pleasant. I do think the staff here will do everything possible to accomodate you. I will undoubtedly stay here again!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
It was our pleasure to see through the details of your stay! I am delighted to hear Deidre and Stephanie both went above and beyond to ensure you had a memorable stay! They will be recognized for their efforts! We thank you for taking the time to mention them and write a review on your recent stay with us.

We can’t wait to welcome you back to exceed all our expectations once again!

Director of Guest Services

Been to The Westin New York Grand Central? Share your experiences!