“a very good stay” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Westin New York Grand Central

You added The Westin New York Grand Central to your Saves list
The Westin New York Grand Central
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   212 East 42nd Street, Between 2nd Ave and 3rd Ave, New York City, NY 10017 (Midtown)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Breakfast for 2 Included
Ranked #216 of 460 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersBronze level
houston
“a very good stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2014

On the hole Westins are pretty good... the staff were very helpful before during and after check in, the location is excellent especially if you are coming into NYC on the hampton Jitney . we got a nice sized room ..i would stay there again for sure

Room Tip: try to get a corner if you can
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Joe B, Guest Relations Manager at The Westin New York Grand Central, responded to this review, June 29, 2014

Director of Guest Service

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (370)
Easton, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2014

I spent one night here for business . Bed was comfortable. Bar downstairs was nice. Ended up with two body wash and no shampoo. Just dealt with it since I was there for one night .

Front desk personnel average. Parking guys very friendly . Would stay again.

Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
I want to thank you for your feedback. I will forward your input to our Housekeeping Director to ensure she brings up the importance of placing the correct amenities in the room with our housekeeping associates. We would never want you to just “deal with it.” We want you to have a memorable experience with us.

I am glad you enjoyed the LCL with its handcrafted cocktails and fresh ingredients. We hope you will stay with us again to give you a better experience than just “okay.”

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2014

Stayed at this hotel when I visited New York in Jan 2009. Close to great places like the Beautiful Grand Central. Very clean and tidy, friendly staff and a nice restaurant. I would definitely go back and stay there

Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
We are delighted to hear you would stay with us again! We look forward to welcoming you back! Thank you for your honest feedback and recommending our property!
See you back at our hotel soon!

New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2014

Good: Bed quality (amongst best in hotel industry), living area, view of city, friendly checkin/out agent, good elevators
Bad: Inability of hotel to follow through with promises made by Management (Dir Guest Serv and Rm Ctrl Man); bad Housekeeping; dodgy water pressure, inability of front desk people to have eye contact or tend to guests waiting in line quickly

Since I tend to be a light sleeper, I requested a quiet room (sent to GM but replied by Rm Ctrl Manager that they would put this request in). I received a room by the ice machine - not exactly a quiet spot!

The check in agent was nice, but this was after a lengthy wait and with one agent who stayed at his terminal for about 10 minutes and only looked up once after I stood in front of him for 5 minutes only to return to the queue as he was clearly not serving any guests!

Housekeeping on my second night placed my half filled glass back on the tray, and left the ice bucket unemptied and with melted ice and dust floating in it (and no top up of bottled water). When I called for water and new liner, they brought up the water but no liner. Then a second person brought up a new ice bucket but no liner. When I asked for a new liner, he pulled a crumpled one out of his back pocket and handed it to me. I was disappointed that staff member thought this was satisfactory or hygenic (which I did not take!).

I also noticed the bath tub liner was peeling as I managed to scratch myself against the edge of it while in the shower (which had only moderate water pressure).

As i was returning to the hotel a night later, and having received an email from Dir of Guest Services, I told him about this and he replied he would make sure there was water in my room. There was no mention or apology for the dirty liner. Well upon arrival into the room (a quiet corner room this time), guess what -- no water. Sorry, but if the Managers and Directors in the hotel cannot deliver on their promise, I am not impressed with the hotel staff esp the lack of eye contact and housekeeping and hence the lower rating.

Room Tip: a block and half from Grand Central Terminal and easy access to the city. Water pressure was lower...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
I am terribly sorry for your recent experience. We thank you for your feedback regarding you stay. It seems a miscommunication between our departments occurred with certain specific requests not being complete. We take your input very seriously and will make sure we are working to ensure this doesn’t happen in the future. It is our passion to provide exceptional guest service and a memorable stay for all guests. We are going to actively work to improve and ensure this is the experience for every guest.

Stephanie Hepner
Westin Experience Specialist
Falls Church, Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2014

the place look so dirty, small, cold and aloof! where are the chandeliers? where are the smiles? where are the greeters? the food in the restaurant-- greesy, yuuuuuuuK!!!! this is New York!!! are we serious? the crab cakes are from Venezuela and Vietnam? Maryland is 4 hours drive, 1 hour by FedEX!!!! C'mon chef!!!!

passing by the elevator, lines of complaints with the manager, well, i was waiting to complain, was too cold, i got sick with extra A/C blowing...

the whole experience was so sticky literally, unfriendly, ohhhhh and the valet-- please let them know if they see anyone expressing themselves different from what they were, please do not look disgusted, they are looking at their paying guests, no matter how they were dressed and how they act! (i am trying to be courteous,polite, political and NOT accussatory) besides you are in New York where everyone is allowed to express your individual self.

finally, please teach phone manners to your staff. i ask to speak to Housekeeping Manager and the man who answered me questioned me in an interrogation manner. if the person is not available, ask for a call back, a message to call back, or send to voice mail NOT ask the caller whether the call is personal or what NOT. it is NOT your business, MAN!!!! very pedestrian and NOT sophisticated for a Westin brand like the Westin Grand Central!!!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
I am sorry to hear about your experience. That certainly is not the service we aim to provide and the experience we want our guests to be a part of. We aim to provide our guests with the best service possible and that is not what you experienced. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly as we would not want this to be your lasting impression of our hotel.

Victoria
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2014

We had booked a Queen room however were put in a twin so sleeping in a double bed was a bit squishy, fortunately the beds & pillows were really comfy. We were on 8th floor & the street noise was terrible. The staff were friendly & the room was clean. 10 minute walk to Times Square, lots of restaurants/cafes nearby. WiFi is free in the lobby but not in your room. Restaurant in lobby is quite expensive but good for a drink while using WiFi. Would stay again but ask for a room on a higher floor.

Room Tip: Rooms on higher floors may be a bit quieter.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your feedback! I am glad you enjoyed our location! I am sorry that unfortunately at our properties we do not have queen size beds. We only offer king beds or doubles. We hope you still had a heavenly experience in our heavenly beds.

We are glad to hear you will be staying with us again! We look forward to welcoming you back and placing you in a higher floor if possible.

Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2014 via mobile

Stayed 2 nights at this hotel. Check in was quick and room was big and clean. Lobby area is very small and congested. Appears to be lot of security staff around. Service is minimalist. Hotel has small eating area but food variety is limited. You'll be better off going to Pax next door for quick/better service as well as greater variety of meals. If I am to return to NYC I will book a hotel closer towards 7th avenue.

Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
I am delighted to hear you had a quick and easy check-in experience. We were happy to provide you comfortable room as soon as possible. I thank you for your feedback in the areas of guest service and the restaurant the LCL. We will work to improve these services as we understand the importance of your feedback.

As we are actively improving our services we hope you will still consider our property.

Director of Guest Services

Been to The Westin New York Grand Central? Share your experiences!