“Fantastic NYC hotel” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Westin New York Grand Central

You added The Westin New York Grand Central to your Saves list
The Westin New York Grand Central
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   212 East 42nd Street, Between 2nd Ave and 3rd Ave, New York City, NY 10017 (Manhattan)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Breakfast for 2 Included
Ranked #212 of 459 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersBronze level
Warwick, New York
“Fantastic NYC hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2014

I've stayed at several hotels in NYC, and the Westin was one of my best experiences. The valet was wonderful, check-in was easy and the desk attendants were very helpful and friendly. Had a room on the 6th floor and did not hear much noise (some street noise such as sirens, but that's to be expected in NYC). The fitness facility was top-notch - even offered complimentary earbuds, which was wonderful because I forgot mine! Within walking to Grand Central, and nice views of the Chrysler building from our room. Room was clean, beds were very comfortable. I would say the room and bathroom were spacious by NYC standards. Checkout and retrieving our car was painless. I can't say enough wonderful things about the hotel.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
Joe B, Guest Relations Manager at The Westin New York Grand Central, responded to this review, March 15, 2014
Hello Cchy,

Wow! Thank you very much for taking the time to write this fabulous and detailed review! It is truly rewarding to our team to see that you cannot say enough wonderful things about The Westin New York Grand Central! After reading your feedback, I feel fairly confident that our property will now be your home away from home while staying in Manhattan!

I am delighted to see that you experienced friendly and exceptional service from the moment you valeted your car, to the time you departed our hotel. In addition to providing our guests with thoughtful service, it is important to us to provide our guests with well cared-for guest rooms as we understand the importance of returning to a fresh and spacious facility. That view you had of the Chrysler Building is absolutely breathtaking! I am so happy that you enjoyed that sight!

I would also like to thank you for pointing out our state-of-the-art WestinWORKOUT Fitness Studio. I love to see that you took advantage of this amenity, and I have no doubt that you felt rejuvenated after your workout! Next time you stay with us, I would definitely recommend dining at our restaurant, The LCL. With plenty of healthy dining options, I think you will really enjoy it!

Our cozy Heavenly Bed is awaiting your return to our property! We are excited to welcome you back for another relaxing stay soon! Please stay in touch and as always, stay well!

Director of Guest Services

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (347)
Wayne, NJ
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2014

Stayed here overnight and found the location, rooms and décor perfect. Last minute decision to stay in city and booked room on Hotel Tonight app. The room was a good size for NYC and the bathroom was modern and well appointed. I've stayed at the Doubletree and Marriott nearby but found The Westin New York Grand Central to be a better choice all around. Clean, modern furnishings and recently renovated. Can't go wrong!

Our room was on the 9th floor, if you are a light sleeper ask for a higher floor.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that is on a higher floor to escape the city noise of sirens and traffic.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
Joe B, Guest Relations Manager at The Westin New York Grand Central, responded to this review, March 9, 2014
Hello Luv2TravWayne_NJ,

I truly enjoyed reading your lovely review! I am delighted to know that out of all the hotels you had to choose from, you chose to stay with us here at The Westin New York Grand Central! I can see that you had a fabulous one night stay with us here in the city.

Thank you for noting our convenient location in midtown Manhattan, along with our newly renovated guest rooms! Our spacious and modernly designed guest rooms create a sense of relaxation and rejuventation for our guests, as we always wish for one to leave feeling better than when they arrived. I can see that we definitely accomplished this for you!

Your "can't go wrong" review leads me to believe that we will be welcoming you back to our property in the near future! All of us here at The Westin New York Grand Central are looking forward to your return!

Thank you and as always, stay well.

Boston, MA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2014

We stayed at the Westin this past weekend for a night while visiting family and seeing some of the sights in MidTown. The hotel is centrally located, near the Grand Central subway station, walking distance to Rockefeller and midtown destinations. Our room was extremely comfortable and of a larger size for NYC hotels. We had family members also staying at the hotel and they were able to accommodate us with two rooms that were in a private hallway, so we could keep our doors open while an outer door could be locked for privacy. Perfect for us.

The hotel is well maintained. Rooms are spacious, beds are their signature feature and we all got a good night sleep cocooned in those sheets. The showers are update with a rain shower head. Downstairs there is a bar and they serve breakfast and lighter food in the morning. Great to have everything in one place. We valet parked for the weekend and it was $60/night. Well worth it as we didn't have to worry about the car all weekend and the service was speedy. The staff is so helpful and friendly - all of our needs were met and the trip was as smooth as it could be.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Joe B, Guest Relations Manager at The Westin New York Grand Central, responded to this review, March 8, 2014
Hello Poohkin,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us for your one night in the city, and thank you for sharing your detailed review with the TripAdvisor community! It sounds like you and your family had the perfect short weekend getaway here at The Westin New York Grand Central.

With Grand Central Station right down the street and Rockefeller Center within walking distance, I can see that our location allowed you and your family to see many well-known NYC landmarks during your short time in Manhattan. I hope you had a memorable time exploring the city with your loved ones! In addition to our location, our on-site restaurant and parking garage only add to the convenience of our property! Thank you for noting all of the thoughtful amenities we provide our guests with.

I am delighted to see that you enjoyed returning back to your two adjacent guest rooms with the private hallway. We understand the importance of a well cared-for and comfortable guest room to our guests, and I love to see that you slept well in our cozy Heavenly Bed and enjoyed your Heavenly Shower. I have no doubt that you left our hotel feeling relaxed and rejuvenated after your time with us.

I can assure you that our team is looking forward to your family’s return to The Westin New York Grand Central. Thank you again for sharing your positive experience with us. We truly appreciate it.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2014

We stayed from 27th Feb to 3rd March and had a great time. We had a 1 bedroom suite and have to say that the stay was excellent. This hotel is in a great location and we felt welcome from the moment we arrived. Each say we ran in Central Park and then returned for breakfast in LCL - great! This is the best stay we have had at this hotel since it was refurbished.

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Hello Thecoffster,

Wow! Thank you for the fantastic review! I am thrilled to see what an amazing time you had with us here in the city!

It is very important to us for our guests to feel welcomed from the second they step into our lobby. I love to hear that you admired our staff and the exceptional service we offer. I have no doubt that your one bedroom suite only added to your memorable stay! What could be better than returning to a fresh and comfortable suite after a day of being out and about in the city?

Thank you for noting our incomparable location! I think it is great that you ran through Central Park everyday! That sounds like the perfect way to start the day. And to reward yourself with a delicious breakfast at our restaurant, The LCL, sounds even better! We are excited to welcome you back soon so you can continue your routine here with us!

All of us here at The Westin New York Grand Central truly appreciate your lovely feedback. Please stay in touch and stay well!

Mystic, Connecticut
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2014 via mobile

My family just returned from an overnight in NYC. The location of this hotel is great. I wanted to be close to Grand Central and also able to walk to Times Square. We found the staff to be very friendly. We took advantage of the late day check out at 3pm. Take advantage of the Pax store right next to this hotel. Very reasonable breakfast, lunch and sweets.

Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Hello Kim F,

Thank you very much for sharing the details of your great experience with us! It sounds like you and your family had a lovely one night stay with us here in The Big Apple.

I am pleased to see that our property was able to fulfill your wishes of being close to Grand Central Station and within walking distance of Times Square! I love to see that our convenient location enhanced your short visit with us by allowing you to reach your destinations easily. While speaking of convenience, Pax is truly amazing! Their sweets are absolutely delicious!

In addition, thank you for noting the friendly and genuine service offered to you by our lovely staff. We will always be here to ensure you are comfortable and enjoying your time with us here at The Westin New York Grand Central.

All of us here at the hotel hope to see you and your family return soon for another lovely stay!

Aberdeen
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2014

Really enjoyed this hotel. 25th floor. Clean room, spacious. Massive bed! Staff attentive and helpful. My only niggle is there was no free wifi which I think should be included in a hotel of this stature in a modern vibrant fantastic city like NY. Shulas Steakhouse on the ground floor was fantastic! Location brilliant for Times Square and amenities.

Room Tip: It's NY. The higher the better
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Hello AberdeenBiker,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your review of The Westin New York Times Square! I am pleased to see that you enjoyed the property, along with your fresh and comfortable guest room on the 25th floor. I also love to see that you admired the attentive and helpful service offered to you by their staff.

While The Westin New York Grand Central offers our guests a delicious restaurant, The LCL, in our lobby, The Westin New York Times Square offers their guests a chance to dine at Schula's Steakhouse at their property. I hear that the food at this restuarant is absolutely mouthwatering! In addition to offering their guests this amenity, The Westin Times Square does offer their guests complimentary WiFi in their lobby, so please do not hesitate to take advantage of this thoughtful amenity next time you stay at this lovely property.

Thank you again for sharing your review of The Westin New York Times Square! I can see that this hotel not only met your expectations, but exceeded them.

Austin, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2014

As I've said in previous reviews, there are the old beige-wallpapered Westins, and then there are nice Westins. This is one of the nice ones.

We combined Starwood points and paid nights for a 5-night stay and were given a room on the top (41st) floor, an SPG member floor. In a good 15-20 visits to NYC over the years, must say this was the largest room I've ever come across in a city normally famous for requiring a Dukes of Hazzard slide across the bed to get to the other side of your tiny room. The breathing room immediately creates a more relaxed mood for your trip, as does the calmer, more business-oriented Midtown East location (why anyone ever chooses to subject themselves to actually staying in Times Square I will never understand). You are only 1.5 blocks from the massive subway hub at Grand Central, so getting pretty much anywhere in Manhattan or Brooklyn is a breeze.

This floor had clearly been remodeled (a quaint bit of Bad Westin Beige wallpaper was still visible in the entryway), so everything from furniture to bathroom fixtures looked nice, clean and contemporary. Amenities included a laptop-sized in-room safe, a fold-out sofa, coffeemaker, iron, hairdryer and a decent-sized flat screen. There's a decently stocked minibar, though be aware it's one that tries to charge you if you move any items (easily corrected when I checked out).

Front desk service was personable and professional as always with Starwood, though they never quite were able to link our paid nights and free nights in the computer, so our room key stopped working midway through and I did have to ask for 2 separate bills. Only other quibbles were that we only got a single robe when we'd clearly indicated 2 guests, and that robe was taken away by housekeeping for our last night. We also had to ask a couple times for more than a single (fake) creamer in the coffee bar, a detail that in my previous experience would normally be noted and fixed for the rest of the stay with the first call (one of the reasons I love Starwood).

But those are tiny blips in what was overall an excellent stay. At approximately $200/night before tax, this is a great value for a nice, huge room in the heart of Manhattan. We'll definitely be back.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Joe B, Guest Relations Manager at The Westin New York Grand Central, responded to this review, March 16, 2014
Hello Puzzolente,

Thank you so very much for sharing your wonderfully detailed review with the team here at The Westin New York Grand Central, along with the online community! After reading about your excellent visit, I feel very confident that we will be welcoming you back to our property in the near future!

I am thrilled to see that you enjoyed the calming atmosphere of our property. Our goal is to create an ambiance that allows one to relax and rejuvenate during their time in the city. In addition to our revitalizing environment, I love knowing that you adored your modernly designed and spacious guest room. Seeing that you have traveled to New York City many times, I am happy that you have finally found a hotel that provides you with plenty of storage and lounging space while in Manhattan.

I would also like to thank you for noting the thoughtful amenities we provide in our guest rooms. From the safe to the coffeemaker, our wish is to enhance the guest experience and have you leave feeling better than when you arrived. In addition to our thoughtful amenities, I am so happy to know that you enjoyed our personable service.

In regards to your experience with the robe and creamer, I have forwarded your review to our Housekeeping Manager who will be using this information to ensure our guest rooms are properly stocked with our thoughtful amenities. Thank you for sharing this pertinent information with us. You are leading us to better care for the future guests of our property.

We are so excited to welcome you back to our property in the near future. As one of our lovely Starwood Preferred Guests, we thank you for your strong loyalty and patronage!

Director of Guest Services

Been to The Westin New York Grand Central? Share your experiences!