“Excellent Westin Property - great value for money in Manhattan” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Westin New York Grand Central

You added The Westin New York Grand Central to your Saves list
The Westin New York Grand Central
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   212 East 42nd Street, Between 2nd Ave and 3rd Ave, New York City, NY 10017 (Manhattan)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Breakfast for 2 Included
Ranked #212 of 459 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersBronze level
Toronto
“Excellent Westin Property - great value for money in Manhattan”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2014

I had an excellent weekend experience at this Westin, which is the reincarnation of the infamous Helmsley New York Hotel. The hotel has been renovated top to bottom. The rooms are generous and large - larger than any hotel room I have ever stayed in in Manhattan. Room was tastefully decorated, beautiful view of the Chrysler Building facing 42nd street - no noise. All fixtures, furnishings, decor, and bathrooms are brand new. Excellent rain shower head and water pressure/temperature. Comfortable Westin "heavenly" bed. Typically chilly New York attitude at the front desk, but never rude or unhelpful. Grand Central is a perfect locaiton in Manhattan for shopping and sightseeing, with easy access to myriad subway lines and everything within easy walking distance. Only drawback was the $15/day charge for wireless internet - standard at Westin properties. This can be avoided by using the free wifi in the lobby. All in all a great stay at a reasonable price.

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor facing 42nd street.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Joe B, Guest Relations Manager at The Westin New York Grand Central, responded to this review, January 13, 2014
We did have a new renovation at our property and are happy to offer our guests new decor and amenities as per our upgrade. We wanted to provide our guests a relaxing retreat and I am happy to hear you truly enjoyed the decor and atmosphere we created.

Our rooms are spacious according to New York City standards as we understand this is an important aspect in our guests’ ability to fully relax and rejuvenate. One of our proudest upgrades is our Heavenly Bed and Bath. We designed these products with you in mind to ensure our guests can fully recharge for the coming day with the rain shower head and plush bed.

I thank you for your feedback on our Wi-Fi. Unfortunately, as it is a Westin policy to charge for internet we need to maintain that fee for now, but we are looking into improving this service for our guest. Thank you for your input as it helps us pinpoint where we need to improve our service.

As you had a great stay with us before, we hope you will continue to have a great stay with us in the future as you continually stay at our property.

Director of Guest Services

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (347)
Northern Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2014 via mobile

This hotel is in a great location if you want to see uptown, midtown and downtown as it's central to all. The rooms are lovely and clean and well maintained. They have great facilities with Starbucks coffee in room and take out cups. They also will supply you with running gear if you forget yours. Great selection of Chanel's on TV if you are chilling. Nice bar with a funky feel. I loved my stay here. The guy at concierge was lovely too

• Stayed December 2013
Wow! It certainly sounds like you truly enjoyed your stay with us. I am happy to hear that you found our location convenient and accessible to all of New York City. With Grand Central Station located only 2 blocks away it provides our guest easy navigation throughout the city whether using buses, subways, or cabs. Being locating this central in Midtown provides our guest a quick commute to all of the sights and attractions the city has to offer.

I am happy to hear you were able to utilize our New Balance Lending Gear program. We love offering this service as we hope to lighten the packing load of our guests as well as offer the convenience of delivering the New Balance Gear to our guests’ rooms for their wellness.

I am pleased to hear our property provided for all your needs. Whether it was leisure, entertainment, relaxing, wellness, and health we were able to provide you a fantastic stay.
We look forward to your future stay with us!

Montreal, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2014

We have been coming to NYC and staying in 4 star hotels for years now, and have never had such a horrible experience as with Westin New York Grand Central. First off, we were greeted by a terribly rude staff member who advised us that although our room was ready (and it was 1 pm) we could not check in before 3 pm unless we wanted to pay a 25$ fee (something, we have never encountered before, where normally, hotels let you drop off your luggage in your room). Then we were yelled at by the concierge outside for having left our car for 10 mins (in the hotel unloading zone designated for guests) while we were checking in. Next, upon finally entering our room all the towels were stained with disgusting stains (see pictures), as were the pillow cases (and replacement cases we were given.. see pictures). Our telephone was not working, so we had to go down to the lobby every time we had a problem (three times)... and an hour later when the technician finally came, he told us that "yes our phone was not working" and we were advised that it was "not yet charged"... whatever that means, and just to wait and if it still didn't work, to come back to the lobby and ask again. We had just about enough of this experience, as it was our wedding anniversary, and we asked to speak to the manager, who could not have cared less. So please do yourself a favor and AVOID THIS HOTEL AT ALL COSTS! You can find much better in other hotels around midtown... Customer service and satisfaction is definitely NOT a priority at this hotel.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Laura L,

I am terribly sorry this was your impression of our property. We at the Westin not only wish to meet your expectations but rather exceed them. We only want to provide our guests a memorable stay. I am so sorry for the difficulties it seemed you had from arrival to departure.

I would never want you to feel we do not care about your experience as we value all of our guests. I am sorry to hear that you felt the manager was apathetic about your experience. You were staying here on a special occasion to celebrate a wonderful landmark in your career and we did not provide you a memorable stay.

I would love to discuss your experience further as we would never want this to be your last impression of our property. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly so together we can come to a solution.

Paris, France
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2014

I stayed at this hotel for a weekend after a series of meetings in town where I had stayed at a different hotel booked by the office in Times Square. I much prefer this location as it is quieter. At reception I received a pleasant surprise and was given free wi-fi. Not sure if this is common practise or just one-off kind of offer. I certainly had not requested any specific treat.
I believe the hotel does not have any public space and does not have a space for offering breakfast. However I went to the coffee just in front that is preparing delicious coffees and pastries. Nice view of the Empire State building from my room but unfortunately I don't remember the room number!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for the honest feedback of your recent stay with us. We at the Westin aim to provide a peaceful and serene retreat for our guests. As our property is located on the east side of 42nd street it does provide our guests a more quiet and relaxing escape as it is away from the hustle and bustle of the city.

We always aim to exceed our guests’ expectations and I am happy to hear that was accomplished. We are happy to offer a full service restaurant, The LCL for our guests’ breakfast, lunch, and dinner. We are also located near many great restaurants and dining experiences for our guests’ desire. I am happy you enjoy the view from your room as we are near so many sights and attractions.

I hope you will choose to stay with us in the future as we are looking forward to exceeding your expectations in the future.

Kannapolis, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2014

Wife and I came to NYC for a few days before Christmas. Decided to stay again at the Westin Grand Central. Enjoyed our 3 night stay immensely. We had a nice upgraded room, with a King Heavenly bed. Equipped with blackout drapes, we slept very well. Surprisingly, facing 42nd street, we heard little or no street noise at night. Daytimes were noisy, but expected.

The hotel location is great - a few blocks from Grand Central, and located between 2nd and 3rd Avenue. We never had a problem getting around. Taxis were plentiful on 42nd street and 3rd Avenue.

We spent time each evening at the hotel bar/restaurant when we were done with our dinners/theater evenings. They had great microbeers on tap, and very nice bar menu for snacks/meals.

The lobby was pretty busy all weekend, with many international visitors for the holidays.

We definitely will return.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Joe B, Guest Relations Manager at The Westin New York Grand Central, responded to this review, January 20, 2014
Hello James M,

I truly enjoyed reading your positive feedback! We love to hear that you had a revitalizing and memorable stay with us here at The Westin New York Grand Central. Our city has a special feel to it in December, and I am happy you were able to experience it.

We feel privileged to offer our guests beautiful rooms with spectacular views. I am pleased to see that you enjoyed your upgraded room and your view of 42nd street. There is nothing quite like getting a full night of rest in our Heavenly Beds. Talk about sweet dreams!

With Grand Central Station just a few blocks away and a plethora of cabs right outside our door, our guests have unconstrained access to all of the amazing offerings of New York City. I hope you had fun at the theater!

I can see that you rejoiced in the atmosphere of The LCL for dinner and late night cocktails. Next time you stay with us, I would recommend having breakfast at our restaurant as well. I am sure you will love their seasonal breakfast menu!

Thank you for sharing your insight with us! We cannot wait to welcome you back to The Big Apple soon!

Be Well,

Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2014

We booked this hotel through Starwood and could not have made a better choice. We've stayed in several NYC Starwood properties and this was probably my favorite so far. It is soooo conveniently located with lots to do and see in the neighborhood and a short subway or cab trip to anywhere else in the city we needed to go. The staff was very friendly and the room was very clean. The bed was awesome as is expected in Westin properties. The only downside was it took quite a while to get a cab on a couple occasions when we didn't take the subway. So give yourself extra time to allow for that and you'll be great. We had a beautiful view of the Chrysler building and really enjoyed the short walk to Grand Central Terminal and all the sightseeing it had to offer. Lastly, this gym was by far my favorite hotel gym I've ever used. Great variety of machines and equipment.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
It sounds like you certainly did have the perfect NYC Getaway. It is a pleasure having you as a guest and I am happy to hear that you enjoyed our company as much as we enjoyed yours. Thank you so much for the honest and positive feedback.

That is fantastic you had a room with such a fantastic view. Being located only a block away and across from The Chrysler Building we are happy to offer our guests rooms with spectacular views of this New York landmark. Not only does our location provide a view, it is also only a block away from Grand Central Station and which allows our guest to travel throughout the city in an easy and efficient manner.

I am happy you were able to fully utilize all of our facilities such as the Westin Workout. We do have one of the largest fitness centers of all the Westin brand and I am happy you enjoyed all our property has to offer.

All of us here are ecstatic to hear we were your favorite Starwood property and we truly hope we will become your home away from home in the future.

New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2013

I was so wary of staying here because I called with some questions regarding the room type...
I got shuffled around, hung up on three times, spoken to quite rudely by at least three representatives, and ultimately - I was VERY disappointed by the service. HOWEVER, when we got there it was all roses. Quick and easy and friendly check in. Beautiful clean room with a LOT of space for a Manhattan hotel. WONDERFUL bar and Ghil our fantastic bartender who made us feel welcome and at home. Really this review is for him. He was fantastic. And the beds. Beds were fantastic. Overall a great stay. Only lost a "star" for the rude phone service. As a native NYer I would stay here again. Just not call beforehand.

Dear Matildalee,

I want to personally apologize for your impression of our property before you even arrived. We understand that the first impression is key and that can occur before arriving at the property. I will personally talk to the Service Express associates and make sure we maintain the standard of service the Westin is known for. It is unacceptable that you were passed back and forth regarding a simple question as we are here assist you.

I am pleased to hear that your expectations were exceeded when you arrived here as you truly enjoyed your spacious room and amenities. That is excellent to hear that Ghil provided the guest service Starwood is known for. His efforts will be recognized as we are eager to praise our associates appropriately. Thank you again for taking the time to mention his name.

I am happy to hear you will be staying with us in the future as you are a New York local. As we are actively seeking to improve our service I hope you will still feel free to contact us with any questions as we wish to assist you in any way possible.

Director of Guest Services

Been to The Westin New York Grand Central? Share your experiences!