“Fair location, good service” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Westin New York Grand Central

You added The Westin New York Grand Central to your Saves list
The Westin New York Grand Central
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   212 East 42nd Street, Between 2nd Ave and 3rd Ave, New York City, NY 10017 (Manhattan)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Breakfast for 2 Included
Ranked #213 of 459 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersBronze level
Santo Domingo
“Fair location, good service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

The room was clean, location eas fair. I just had two problems and both were solved quickly, first one was the deposit that they take from the credit card, they freezed 450 dolars more from my card, then i asked for a king bed, they saod that the only available was a two double bed room. We were moved to a bigger room with king bed next day, higher floor and a better view of nyc skyline.
I may come back

Room Tip: Choose a room after floor 26
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Joe B, Guest Relations Manager at The Westin New York Grand Central, responded to this review, September 2, 2013
Luijo,

The location is good for the city of New York. I am happy you found our guest service was pleasing to you. Here at the Westin we aim to not only meet your expectations but rather exceed them.

I do apologize for the hold on your account. Unfortunately, it is part of our policy to ensure guests have enough money to pay for both the room and incidentals as a liability to us.
As for the room type, I do apologize with the room misunderstanding the first night, but I am glad to hear we were able to upgrade you to a king on a higher floor with a view.

I do hope you chose to come back and stay with us in the near future. We would love to welcome you back to our property as we aim to exceed your expectations.

Service Express Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (347)
Orlando
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013

Originally, we were going to stay at the Hilton a couple of blocks east of this hotel. However, I checked the rates of the Westin and found them to be very competitive for midtown Manhattan. I chose the Westin based on previous reviews and the closeness to Grand Central. The checkin process was very efficient and the front desk person was quite friendly. She said we would be getting a "view" room. She wasn't kidding. We were on the 40th floor (41 floors total). We could look out our window facing south and see all the way down to the Verrazano Bridge. Looking out to the southwest, the Empire State Building looked like it was next door. The room was spacious and very clean. The bed was very comfortable. We didn't eat at the hotel but I did use the fitness center. This place rivaled the YMCA I used back home. Plenty of fitness equipment and it wasn't very crowded. The subway (and Metro North) was a short 2 block walk away. The crosstown bus was right out in front. Overall, we were very happy with this room. We may be back in October for another visit. Hopefully, we can find a room at this hotel at a comparable rate to what we paid this last time.

Hello Gil1018,

Wow! What a fantastic stay you had with us. I am so happy to hear we were able to provide for your every need. Our location is pristine for the city of New York. Being located only 2 blocks from Grand Central station is such a benefit as guests can travel pretty much anywhere in New York as so many different trains/subways/buses utilize this popular stop.

I am so happy you were able to enjoy a fantastic view from the top, looking over much of midtown and even further. The beds are very comfortable and I am pleased you had a heavenly night sleep. Isn’t the Westin Workout wonderful? We offer one of the biggest WestinWorkouts and I am pleased you were able to utilize it. I hope you used the “cold towels” that we chill just for our guests to provide them a refreshing cool down after their workouts.

We do hope you will chose to stay with us in the future, this upcoming October and many more visits to come.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2013

Stayed at the Westin Times square on a previous stay and so decided to give the group another go at Grand central. Good quality room, very comfortable bed, the bathroom was adequate and the linen and service very good. In- room dining - very good value, quick and tasty. Parking a car at the hotel was expensive 60 dollars a day but I guess this is to be expected in NYC and we had limited options as we were getting to the end of our tour, the car was full so we had to grin and bear the cost. But on the other hand it was good to know that the hire vehicle and contents were completely secure. As to be expected this is a very busy hotel; check-in at 20.30 was fast but there were long lines for checking out in the morning. Fortunately, we were able to come back later.

Room Tip: We were on 31st floor, nice views of part of the NYC skyline
Hello FionaHolidays13,

Thank you so much for your loyalty to Starwood and the Westin brand. I am so happy you decided to give our hotel a try as you had a positive experience with the Westin brand in the past. I am even more happy to hear that you had a wonderful stay with us.

I am pleased to hear the guest room and bathroom were satisfying to your stay. It is wonderful to hear you had a Heavenly sleep in our Heavenly Bed. Aren't they so comfortable? I am hoping to purchase Heavenly bed in the future!

The food at the LCL is a delight. I try to grab a bite to eat there any chance I can. I understand the shock at $60 a day for parking, but unfortunately as the car garage is independent from our hotel, we have no influence on the price. It is comforting to know that your vehicle was in a secure area and you could enjoy New York City, without a worry.

I hope to welcome you back to our hotel the next time you are in the city.

London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2013

I booked the Westin after a few less than desireable experiences at the nearby Hilton, and because I wanted to stay at a Starwood property. I have to say I wasn't overly impressed. The lobby is dark and was always crowded with tourists who seem to want to stand exactly where you want to go. My check-in was pleasant (Deirdre was fantastic) and they were prompt about calling when my room was ready. I had lunch at the LCL restaurant inside the hotel and found the food to be above average - nothing fancy but above your normal hotel restaurant. My room was on a Starwood Preferred Guest floor, but that didn't stop me from being awoken nightly by loud guests and shrieking children. (Whatever happened to taking the kids to the Holiday Inn so that the rest of us can sleep in peace?)
The room itself was nicely appointed but severely lacking in outlets. I found 2. The bathroom was large, but the shower itself was a bit over the top. It took me about 3 minutes to figure out how to work it and then I had to deal with the "rain" effect which basically meant low water pressure + my hair getting wet even though I didn't want it to. The bed didn't feel very "Heavenly" and normally I rave about Westin beds. It was hard and lumpy and the pillows were ridiculously soft to the point of me stacking 3 up to make one normal feeling pillow. Whoever did the furniture layout in the room has obviously never stayed in a hotel because there was a huge floor lamp positioned directly in front of the temperature control - and as the room inexplicably went from hot to cold my entire stay, I found myself climbing around couch and lamp at least 4 times a night.
As I mentioned it was VERY noisy. I know it is tourist season, but I expected better clientele at a Westin property. Instead I was treated to kids running in the hallway, drunken guests returning and housekeeping chattering away loudly in Spanish. (I speak some Spanish so I know it was housekeeping, not guests)

When I went to check out, a Westin employee (Regina, maybe?) refused to help me, despite being behind one of the desks and she made me wait for another employee telling me that she "doesn't do checkouts" (said with the air of one who is above such things). Really? Then why on earth were you behind the checkin/checkout desk?! Thank goodness for Deirdre - who was beyond friendly. She remembered me from check-in and that I was here for meetings, and it was very nice to have someone be so personable... especially in a hotel that must get hundreds of people in and out daily.

I may be back as this is a very convenient location - but I also might be more inclined to try the Grand Hyatt as my coworkers do, in hopes of a better level of sleep and comfort.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Thank you so much for you detailed feedback and input on your stay. I am so pleased to hear that Deirdre was able to offer you a friendly and personal experience both for your arrival and departure. At the Westin we want you to feel welcome and relaxed at your home away from home.

I am pleased to hear you enjoyed the quality of food in the LCL. I am glad you noticed the size of the guest room and bathroom. However, I am sorry that you didn’t find the bed and bath Heavenly. These are the products we take much pride in and I have notified engineering on the water pressure as well as the thermostat in the room to improve your Heavenly bath and bed. I have also notified housekeeping on the texture of the Heavenly mattress so you can have a more heavenly sleep the next time you stay with us. We only want to improve and I thank you for the feedback so we can pinpoint exactly where the improvements need to be made.

I do want to apologize for the loud guests you had located on your floor. Unfortunately, we cannot predict if certain guests are going to be disruptive to others. Next time anything like that occurs, you can call down to our associates and they will put you in contact with our Security department to see if they can further assist you.

I do hope you consider staying with us in the future and giving us a chance to win back your loyalty. If you wish to discuss this further, I would be more than happy to talk to you so together we can come up with a solution.

Salem, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2013

Had a great time in NYC and this hotel was awesome. Great location, booked a Deluxe Double room and had enough room for 2 adults and one teenager. Just a couple blocks from Grand Central and a couple more blocks up 42nd street and you're right in time square. Stayed on 17th floor and the ground noise was not as bad as people say. With air conditioner on you can barely hear it, but come on its a busy city. I will book this hotel again next time we head to New York. The candles they burn in the lobby smell fantastic. Great diners close by for breakfast I really can't think of anything negative to say about my stay except I wish I was there longer. Oh and those beds are really comfortable!!!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Joe B, Guest Relations Manager at The Westin New York Grand Central, responded to this review, August 18, 2013
WOW!! Thank you so much for such a terrific and honest review. I am beyond pleased to hear that you had such a positive stay.

I am so glad to hear that you found your room very comfortable and the amenities satisfying.
I am happy to hear you really found rest and rejuvenation on our Heavenly Bed, I hope you felt like you were sleeping on a cloud.

Isn’t the Westin branded scent divine? I love the smell! I have the lotion and I am tempted to buy a candle as well! It is so refreshing and clean. Well you can make your stay longer by booking another trip through us!

We really hope to see you very soon! Anytime you want to visit NYC please come stay with us as we aim to exceed your expectations time after time.

Stephanie Hepner
Manager
Bettendorf, IA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013

Arrived shortly after midnight to find a lengthy line to check in. I was able to use the SPG Gold and Platinum line which was short - I was next up. Process was short and pleasant; when I finished, I noted that the regular line had hardly budged - only one person working that line. The free continental breakfast, a Platinum level perk, was so-so. First morning the OJ was bottled, but was fresh squeezed the second day. Pastries were variable, service was adequate, nothing special. On the second morning, they had given over a large portion of the breakfast area to a private party which made the rest of the cafe very crowded - the whole process seemed terribly disorganized. The room was standard Westin issue - nothing more, nothing less. Comfortable, clean, great shower head with good pressure. Checkout was painless and smooth. Overall, a more than adequate hotel, but needs a little more effort in a number of areas. Would readily stay here again for the location, but wouldn't be excited about it.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
We always appreciate feedback as we can only improve when we are well informed. Thank you for taking the time to invite us into the details of your stay. I am happy you were able to take advantage of the benefit of being an SPG member and use the SPG line. I am glad you didn’t experience too long of a wait.

I am sorry to hear you didn’t find the benefit of complimentary breakfast to your liking. I apologize that the restaurant ambience and service was impacted by the event being held there in the restaurant. I have spoken to the Director of Food and Beverage and he is setting up new arrangements for when presented with big groups.

I am pleased to hear that you found the amenities, room, and bed comfortable and up to Westin brand standards. We want you to be excited the next time you choose to stay with us.

We never want our guests to walk away not eager to stay with us in the future. I would love to personally talk to you so together we can come up with a solution. Please contact me directly.

Kingston, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013

I got the only available King-bed room which was also an ADA room but there was nothing to complain about because it just came with more space.The room was on 12th floor facing E42nd and offered a great view. The automatic drawing of curtains was a delightful feature. The housekeeping was great and the bed was comfortable.

The most annoying part was I was asked what time I would check out, right at the time I was checking in. Minus points for lack of hospitality shown by the front desk personnel. I don't think you ask guests what time they would leave as soon as they arrive at your house! And I could hear the traffic sounds and the adjacent room sounds clearly( although this was not as bad as a former hotel reviewed by me, Alex).

• Stayed August 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on our property. I am happy you found our Heavenly Bed so comfortable. We designed it with you in mind making sure we can provide our guests a renewing and relaxing stay. I personally love handicap accessible rooms because it does provide you with so much space!

I am sorry you found us asking for your check-out time inhospitable. It is actually intended to be the opposite. By having our front desk associates ask you what time you are checking out, this provides us with more information and helps assist our housekeepers know which rooms are already vacant so they can start cleaning. It also benefits our guests as it ensures you aren’t disturbed early in the morning by housekeeping associates knocking on your door inquiring if you have already left. This way you can enjoy your morning and our associates can be productive working in rooms where the guests have already vacated them.

I appreciate your feedback and do hope to see you at our hotel in the very near future!

Service Express Manager

Been to The Westin New York Grand Central? Share your experiences!