“Ok but would try somewhere else next time.” 3 of 5 stars
Review of The Westin New York Grand Central

You added The Westin New York Grand Central to your Saves list
The Westin New York Grand Central
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   212 East 42nd Street, Between 2nd Ave and 3rd Ave, New York City, NY 10017 (Manhattan)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Breakfast for 2 Included
Ranked #213 of 457 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersBronze level
Kent
“Ok but would try somewhere else next time.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013

Stayed at the Westin GC for three nights in May. Arrived in the early hours of the morning and had to queue with tired kids next to the really loud lobby bar to check in. The guy on the desk was apologetic for the wait, and for the fact that our two rooms were not adjoining but two rooms apart. The rooms on the 6th floor were a good size, clean with adequate facilities and comfy beds. One room suffered from thin walls - being able to hear every movement from the room next door. The other had quite poor plumbing - the shower was over the bath and would take around 20-30 minutes to drain away after a shower. We also came back late one night to find that the housekeeping staff hadn't left enough towels for the 3 of us. Small issues not really worth complaining about but that you wouldn't expect in a 5* hotel. We chose this hotel as we are SPG members and needed somewhere central, to make sightseeing with kids in tow easier, and near Grand Central for onward travel to CT. Nowhere near the best Starwood Hotel we have visited. Location wise the hotel was great but I wouldn't choose to stay here again.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Joe B, Guest Relations Manager at The Westin New York Grand Central, responded to this review, August 12, 2013
I thank you for your loyalty to Starwood and our properties. I want to thank you for staying with us and your honest feedback. I am happy to hear that our staff was helpful and accommodating. I am glad you found our location convenient and our amenities satisfying.

I do apologize that you were not able to have a restful sleep in our Heavenly Bed or a refreshing showing in our Heavenly Bath. These are our branded features that we want to provide our guests so they can have a renewing and rejuvenating stay. I have notified engineering and housekeeping about the difficulties you had in the room and with service and they are implementing new solutions to decrease the likelihood of this occurring again. We appreciate your feedback as we use this to improve our services so we can be one of the best Starwood hotels you will visit.

We do want you to visit us again. I would love to talk to you about your stay so together we can come up with a solution to earn back your loyalty. Please contact me directly.

Service Express Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (345)
media, pa
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2013

OUr relatives were visiting from Greece, some for the first time. We booked a room for them at the Westin and prepaid for it. They came back to their room one night and found it ransacked & euros taken from the safe in the room. The door wasn't broken into which I find very suspicious. Needless to say we are not happy. We would not recommend staying here if you cannot feel safe.

Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Joe B, Guest Relations Manager at The Westin New York Grand Central, responded to this review, August 14, 2013
Hello,

On behalf of the hotel, I want to apologize for the experience that your relatives had during their stay. We take the safety and security of all our guests very seriously. Our security team conducted a full lock and safe investigation, and our Director of Security worked directly with the guest to submit a claim to our insurance company. We have remained in regular communication with the guest to keep him informed regarding the investigation and next steps in the claims process.

Your impression of our hotel is important to us and we value your feedback. If you have any additional concerns about this matter, please contact me and we will work together to resolve them. Thank you.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2013

Doris at checkin was amazing! She gave my kids coloring sheets & toys to entertain them while we checked in. She gave us a room with a view of the Empire State Building too. The location is a little bit out of the times square mayhem. I would come back :)

• Stayed August 2013
I am happy that Doris was able to provide a wonderful surprise for your kids to make their stay and yours a memorable one. At the Westin we wish to anticipate your needs before you even think of them. We want to take care of all of our guests and Doris will be recognized for her efforts.

The location is great, such an accessible location from all the trains and subways. But, not only is it easy to get to so many different locations in New York City, but it is a quieter area compared to other hotels. Providing you and our guests a serene, peaceful place to relax and rejuvenate.

We hope to see you in the future!

connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2013

i booked this hotel using starwood points. i travel to nyc via train, so i like to stay near grand central on the east side, as that is where i do most of my things while in nyc. my biggest complaint, as usual with this level westin, is that the check in is always a nightmare. the line is very long. they didnt have enough people working the front desk. after a 10 minute wait, which really isnt that bad, my check in my easy. my room was ready at noon which was great. the room was clean, and as far nyc rooms go, it was pretty spacious(thats nyc spacious!!). my room was on the 9th floor facing 42nd St, which to be honest, was loud. i lived in manhattan for 10 years so it wasnt that bad for me, but if you are not used to it, you might not like it.
this is a great place to stay if you want to be right in the middle of the city. i consider myself a local, and it was perfect. buses and trains right there. the staff was helpful. the room is clean. oh..and a bonus..the couch in the king room opens to a full size bed..so if you are traveling with a kid..its great. def recommend...

Room Tip: if you are sensistive to noise, or are not used to use, then DEFINATLY request a room on a hi floor...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
It is great to hear you are a loyal Starwood Preferred Guest and stay in multiple Starwood properties. I thank you for choosing to stay with us during your stay in NYC. I am sorry you had to wait in line to assist guests, I know that can be frustrating but I am happy that once you got to the desk check in was smooth and flawless.

Our rooms are spacious for NYC standards, as space is always hard to find in such a city like New York. But I am happy the room and amenities exceeded your expectations. The couch is a pull out sofa which we thought would be more comfortable then having rollaways sent to the room, this way you get more space and it is a heavenly experience just like our Heavenly Bed.

In such a perfect location, I do hope you choose to stay with us again in the near future and come back and visit your home of 10 years.

Rowlett, TX
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2013

We stayed at the Westin Grand Central on August 6th and thoroughly enjoyed our time there. The service was excellent, especially the front desk and the bellmen. Our room was great, nice city view, clean bathroom, and the beds were very comfortable. We will certainly return to the Westin in the future!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
That is so great to hear! Thank you for sharing such an excellent and honest review. I am so happy to hear our staff went above and beyond to make your stay flawless. We aim to not only meet but exceed your expectations and I am happy to hear that was your experience.

Aren't the beds just the best? Our Heavenly beds are just that heavenly! We made these with you in mind so when you come to our hotel after all your exciting activities in New York City you can come back and get a restful night sleep.

We certainly hope to see you return to our property in the future as well! We will reserve your spot in heaven for when you decide to rest!

Fairfield, Connecticut
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013

The excellent location on East 42nd St. more than makes up for the few very minor shortcomings we experienced (slow-ish elevators, small and crowded lobby)
Our room was of decent size and appeared to be clean. Furnishings were a bit dated but in good shape. The bed was most comfortable ! which actually made it tough to get up after a long night out. Staff, in particular the housekeeping personnel we met, were very happy to oblige a special request or two.
We spend 5 or 6 nights per year in NYC and would most certainly consider staying at the Westin again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
I am so happy to hear you had such a fantastic time at our hotel. The location is great! I am happy you were able to really explore the city because of the wonderful vicinity we are to local attractions. Our rooms are quite spacious and we did have a recent renovation, so I am happy you enjoyed the amenities.

Tell me about the Heavenly Beds! They are super comfortable, there is a reason guests purchase them after staying at our hotel, I hope to purchase one soon! Why not spend every single night in heaven.

I am glad the staff was helpful and friendly and were able to not only meet but exceed your expectations. We look forward to your annual visit to NYC and hope you will choose to spend them with us in the future!

Thanks,

Milford, Connecticut
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

We reserved 2 deluxe rooms here for a bachelorette party, we requested that both rooms be on the same floor if possible. When we arrived for check-in at 3pm we were told the room was not ready. However, if we did not mind being on seperate floors, we could check in now. Since we were on a schedule, we chose to forgo being on the same floor. We get to the room and there is no view. We specifically did the deluxe rooms so we could have the nice view. We called down to the front desk to ask if this was a deluxe room, they replied "no" When we explained that we paid for a deluxe room they told us we would have to wait an hour-hour and a half for a deluxe room to be ready. We explained that we were on a schedule and had hair/makeup and dinner reservations and needed to start getting ready. They told us if we wanted the deluxe room we would have to vacate this room and check our belongings with the bellman and wait for the other room. We tried explaining the situation, but the manager, Jennifer, was rude and seemed as if we were bothering her. She finally agreed to work to speed up the process to get us a new room. It still took an hour. When we finally got checked in there was toilet paper and urine in the toilet and hair in the tub! I'm not sure why it took so long to get the room clean if they clearly did not clean the bathroom!!! We called down to complain and they apoligized and said they would send someone up to clean. No one ever showed up. Trust me, we are not a complaining group either, but when you spend $400 a night for a room, you at least expect the room you paid for and a clean room! The only saving grace at this hotel was the wonderful bell staff and great location. It is not likely that we will return to this hotel.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Joe B, Guest Relations Manager at The Westin New York Grand Central, responded to this review, August 6, 2013
Hello neoncheer,

We truly apologize that your experience with us was not more pleasant. Our goal at The Westin New York Grand Central is to make sure our guest leave feeling treasured and valued. However, I’m extremely sorry that was not your experience during your most recent stay with us.

Please know we appreciate your feedback, this is a great tool to help us improve our services. We absolutely, understand your frustration because this was a very exciting time in your life and everything should’ve been perfect. We contacted the Directors of Housekeeping and Front Office and they are actively addressing your areas of concern.

We would love for you to come back to our property, in order for us to show you that your experience isn’t the Westin standard. Your relationship is important to us and I would love for you to contact me directly so together we can come up with a solution.

Service Express Manager

Been to The Westin New York Grand Central? Share your experiences!