“Everything you need” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Westin New York Grand Central

Save Saved
You added The Westin New York Grand Central to your Saves list
The Westin New York Grand Central
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   212 East 42nd Street, Between 2nd Ave and 3rd Ave, New York City, NY 10017 (Manhattan)   |
Hotel deals
Special Deal
Complimentary Breakfast
Ranked #191 of 449 hotels in New York City
Guelph, Canada
“Everything you need”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2013 via mobile

Nice location although a long walk to Times Square in the rain. The hotel staff was great. they were pleasant at checkin, valet staff was very nice. The rooms very nice, clean and for NY they were spacious. Overall a great stay.

Stayed May 2013, traveled solo

1,214 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (282)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2013 via mobile

A quick stay, but great front desk supervisor and Dennis at the door was so helpful finding me a cab to the airport. He was friendly and very good at his job!! I felt bad that i had no cash to tip him. Please know that I'll be back and plan to return to the Westin Grand Central.

• Stayed May 2013
Bangor, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2013

Superior in every way - lay-out, facilities, equipment, cleanliness
Is second to none. Staff, from bottom to top were very focused,
extraordinarily professional and very friendly. Efficiency is something
that comes naturally and pride on all aspects of their work underlines
a superlative service. The rooms are large and luxurious, and every
facility one might require was available.
A delight and a privilege to have stayed here.
Truly Outstanding. I cannot fault this hotel and look forward to returning.

Room Tip: Corner rooms on the front of the hotel gives fine views and has the Chrysler Building as an impress...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Boston, Massachusetts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2013

A decent experience, and good for NYC, but well below what you might be used to staying at other Westin Hotels.

Small things lacking that made it feel like something you would find at a lesser chain. Plus considerably more busy and loud (even by NYC standards) in the common areas.

Very good location and decent price made an acceptable option but I would look elsewhere.

Utrecht
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2013

After a long day being awake for over 24 hours we arrived at The Westin. We were greeted with a smile and within minutes we got to our room.
After walking to the nearest drugstore (2 minutes max) we took a nice hot shower and got in to one of the best beds I've ever slept in.
We did get some street noise on the 14th floor but overall it was a great nights sleep.
Check out was smooth.

Some things in our room didn't really feel as a four star hotel. Amenities could feel a bit more luxurious, some places in our room were dusty and some small things like a loose screw in the bathroom door.

So if you are looking for a perfect four star hotel you might find some flaws. But we really enjoyed our night. Great bed, great location, great shower, very dark spacious room and as a bonus a view of the Empire State Building.

I used Priceline to book my room with made it excellent value.

Seattle, Washington
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2013

The good stuff: great location, and typical [great] Westin quality/decor.

The bad stuff: housekeeping staff that's out to lunch, and CS that can't keep track of them.

I stayed at this location for six nights. On the second day (first opportunity to have room cleaned by the maid), my room didn't get cleaned. I'd be out for about 4 hours and thought it should've been enough time to be serviced, but it didn't get done. I called down to the front desk to have some clean towels sent up. A while later one of the operators called me to ask if the towels had been delivered; I confirmed they had and hung up the phone. Literally seconds later another operator called to ask the exact same question. Weird.

Well I just chalked it up as a fluke that the room didn't get cleaned that first day, but the same thing happened the next day! This time I had been out of the room all day--for 11 consecutive hours--beginning at 9:30am. In other words, there was plenty of time to get into the room while I was gone.
I doubled checked just to be sure, but no, I hadn't left the "do not disturb" sign on the door. So...not a fluke...the maid just blew off cleaning my room for two days in a row!

At this point I went downstairs to speak to someone at the front desk to figure out what the heck was happening; my explanation was met with a typical "I don't care and don't want to hear about your problem" attitude by the woman at the reception desk. She did go get a manager who was more sympathetic to the situation and who arranged to have my room cleaned, but I was still shocked at how uninterested the first woman was at solving the problem with my room.

I've had mostly good experiences with the Westin brand around the world (the rooms at the Shanghai/Bund location are gorgeous, and the breakfast is amazing) but I was unimpressed with my 6-night stay at the Westin Grand Central.

Carmichael, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2013

All the Westin Hotels have been very nice places to stay. The hotel is very close to Grand Central station for connections all over NYC. We were on 38th floor...very quiet. The coffee shop has Stumptown coffee...great coffee. We had breakfast one morning only. The Starbucks coffee is available in your room. Nice amenities.

Room Tip: Hotel should not charge $14.95/day for wifi. Free wi fi is in the lobby. I am accustomed to having...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family

Been to The Westin New York Grand Central? Share your experiences!