“Business Stay” 3 of 5 stars
Review of The Westin New York Grand Central

You added The Westin New York Grand Central to your Saves list
The Westin New York Grand Central
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   212 East 42nd Street, Between 2nd Ave and 3rd Ave, New York City, NY 10017 (Manhattan)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Breakfast for 2 Included
Ranked #212 of 459 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersBronze level
Singapore, Singapore
“Business Stay”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2013

Just came back from a business trip and stayed in Westin for 4 nights. This is my 1st stay in the Westin and I would rate my stay as average.

Pros : close to the subway and lots of restaurants, cafe, Starbuck in the area. Free wifi included in the corporate rate.
Cons : very noisy, sound proof of the room poor. Though my room is the 14th floor as it is facing the main street, I could hardly sleep at night.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Joe B, Manager at The Westin New York Grand Central, responded to this review, May 14, 2013
Hello,

Thank you for your recent visit with us and for offering us this review.

I see you mentioned our great location and surrounding restaurants and cafés in the area but I am sorry to read you had some noise challenges during your visit. We are currently reviewing all of our rooms especially all rooms facing the street side to determine better sound proofing options to help eliminate the outside noise pollution.

Please contact me directly before your next visit with us and I will personally block you away from any outside noise pollution.

Service Express Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (347)
London, England
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013

Enjoyed a weekend away in NYC and chose The Westin New York Grand Central for it's reviews, reasonable rate and the fact that I'm an SPG member (love those points!). Overall it was a great hotel. The location is perfect for pretty much everywhere in tourist NYC. The rooms have recently been decorated and we found our room exceptionally clean. We lucked out with a room on the 34th floor, and had an excellent view of the City, including the Empire State Building. The bed was really comfy and we had no outside noise. The only reason we haven't rated this property 'Excellent' is for two reasons (and we tend to be super picky when travelling so take this with a grain of salt):
1) We were awakened Saturday morning at around 9 am by the hotel loudspeaker (in each room) announcing that there would be a testing of the fire alarms throughout the day -- and this announcement started with 'attention, attention...'. This completely freaked us out and woke us up out of a heavy sleep -- we thought there was an emergency! Surely it would have made sense to have warned us about this when we checked in Friday evening?
2) I contacted the hotel concierge ahead of our stay and asked them to recommend a restaurant for dinner on Saturday night. The concierge replied with what seemed like a very confident choice, and the concierge also noted that if we dined at this particular restaurant, that the chef/owner of the restaurant would 'personally oversee' the cooking of our food. Unfortunately, when we arrived at the restaurant, we overheard a couple of waiters telling another table that the chef/owner wasn't even in the building. To boot, we felt the food was ok but not brilliant. So, we wondered if the concierge team has a few 'stock' restaurants they always send guests to but perhaps don't tailor each request?
So, the Westin New York Grand Central gets a 'Very Good' rating from us.

Room Tip: Higher floors have better views.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013

The Westin is newly renovated hotel in the heart of the City, next to Grand Central Station. We had a very friendly greeting from all of the employees. Our morning visit to the cafe was made especially nice due to Harivea. He made a delicious latte and his dedication to his work was admirable. I would be happy to book another stay at this Westin.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Salem, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2013

My partner and I visit the Westin Grand Central at the beginning of the month. As soon we arrived at the front desk, we were promptly greeted by Bernardo, who was very professional and helpful. That evening after we settled in our room, we approached the concierge Eve for suggestions about dinner. She was very nice. She recommended a Greek restaurant on Vanderbilt Ave. Our surprise! At the restaurant the waiter gave us complimentary champagne from Eve. That small detail was very nice. Little things like that is what customer service it’s about. Next afternoon we had the chance to meet Deidre and Loida who with their energy and smiles make the entire front desk shine. The lo

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Joe B, Manager at The Westin New York Grand Central, responded to this review, May 13, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to recognize our associates!

Your review will be a great reminder and source of pride for our associates. Always reminding them what can be accomplished with great service.

Rockville, Maryland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2013

I relied on tripadvisor to choose this hotel for staying in NY in mid April, 2013.
So, here is my feedback to give back to the community.

Pros:

1. Close to the subway system and convenient for transportation.

2. Close to most of the sight seeing sites.

2. Far enough from the downtown and all the craziness.

3. Pretty safe place.

4. Very responsive staff and management.

Cons:

1. I made sure to look through all the reviews and check that none says about dirty sheets. Alas, when I got there I ended up asking for new sheets.

2. The bathtub drain was clogged and had to ask the maintenance to come and fix it. Afterwards the water was still not going down well.

3. There was mold on one corner of the bath tub. I wonder if they had not used (or checked) this room for quite a while.

4. I had requested for an upgrade at the time of reservation. Out of 44 levels they put us on the 22th floor. I personally did not see much of the "spectacular view". The building across from us was blocking the view!

5. I was so glad that I took my ear plugs. The noise did not stop at night. The traffic and the police sirens were ongoing. You can easily hear everything and if not used to it, perhaps have a hard time to sleep.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Hello,

I apologize for all the challenges you had while visiting us recently but thank you for giving us this review so we can immediately address all of your concerns.

I notice in your review you had some concerns which I noticed you also mentioned our management and associates were very responsive to your challenges and offered you solutions and immediately addressed them all and correct them.

I would like to arrange a time to speak with you directly to discuss all of your concerns and offer you some options that will help resolve the matter. Please contact me directly.

New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2013

I rated this hotel 2 stars and spoke of how the customer service was sub-par at best. I would like to retract that first post. This hotel was a great experience and all the staff working there was also great. They were attentive and polite. and our room was great. I appreciate the staff at the Westin for making our anniversary something to remember.

Room Tip: Speak to a manager they are very helpful.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for granting us a second chance at regaining your loyalty back!

I am very glad to read we were able to improve upon from your last visit and that you had a great visit with us and we made your anniversary very special!

London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

The Westin Grand Central is in a convenient location for transport with Grand Central station just a short distance away. The hotel is in midtown so it doesn't take too long to get to places on Manhattan Island. The area does seem to be a little business-focussed so some cafes and other places were closed on weekends, which was disappointing, and might mean staying in a more residential area would be more convenient.

The room was a good size although was not very clean. On the first day we moved a footstool and found toenail clippings and breakfast cereal on the floor underneath. Although we could understand this because it had been under the furniture, it wasn't cleaned during our stay despite being in plain view on the carpet.

The beds were comfortable, bathroom amenities were fine, TV was large and with lots of channels, and there was a good view from the windows. However, there were no slippers or robes provided and no free wifi in the rooms. The cost was $15 per day and to avoid this, we had to go to the lobby if we wanted to use the internet without additional charge. It's an expensive hotel and given that free wifi is standard in most hotels now, there shouldn't be an extra charge.

In summary, the hotel was a few levels below what we would have expected for the price (and we were on a discounted rate) or for the Westin in another location. It is true that Manhattan is expensive, but I think we'd try a smaller boutique hotel for the same price next time before staying at the Westin again.

For the price,

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends

Been to The Westin New York Grand Central? Share your experiences!