“Perfect stay” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Westin New York Grand Central

You added The Westin New York Grand Central to your Saves list
The Westin New York Grand Central
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   212 East 42nd Street, Between 2nd Ave and 3rd Ave, New York City, NY 10017 (Midtown)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Breakfast for 2 Included
Ranked #225 of 464 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersBronze level
“Perfect stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

Stayed in the hotel for a short break in October. Ideal location, close to most of the attractions we wanted to visit. Lovely comfy room, beds were heavenly and the Starbucks coffee was an unexpected treat. That staff were very helpful and courteous. Can't wait to go back!

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Joe B, Manager at The Westin New York Grand Central, responded to this review, April 18, 2013
Thank you for your review. I am very happy you had a great visit with us and enjoyed our heavenly beds and coffee selection.

Hopefully you can visit us again, this time for a bit longer!

Look forward to your next visit.

Service Express Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (382)
  • Hebrew first
Baltimore, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

My experience with this hotel was incredible! I reserved a block of rooms for my wedding guests and got fantastic feedback from everyone - the rooms were spacious, the views were excellent, and the service was flawless. It the ideal location to get my out of town guests excited about their trip to NYC. My contact - Stephanie - was so helpful and sweet throughout the planning process, she even had rose petals and champagne sent up to the honeymoon suite - as well as a hand written note and champagne delivered to our hotel room in Hawaii, where we stayed in a different Westin property. I was so grateful to have such complete trust that everything would be taken care of for my out of town guests, it was a huge relief during all the wedding chaos. I highly recommend this hotel!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

The check in was fast, but unfortunately they had to give me a different room than the one I had requested. There were three of us and I had asked for 2 beds. they told me they had only king beds available. I was very upset since I had booked the hotel way in advance. The person at the check in was very understanding and pleasant she offered me a king bed and a sofa bed with complimentary breakfast and to switch the room the next day. Alex, at the Starwood desk is the best. She is pleasant and very patient. All in all it was a good vacation. My only problem was having to pay a cab every time I wanted to go to Time Square because the hotel is on the East side.

Room Tip: I had a corner room. The best you have view on two sides.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Joe B, Manager at The Westin New York Grand Central, responded to this review, April 16, 2013
Welcome,

I am sorry we were not able to honor your bed type during your recent visit with us. We have added an additional Room Controller to help us better maintain our room type count and properly place guests in their correct bed types. I am very glad to read we offered you complimentary breakfast for this inconvenience and helped you relocate to your correct room type the next day.

Thank you for your very kind words for one of our Front Office Associate Alex and for visiting us! We look forward to your next visit. Please contact me directly so I can ensure your next visit with us.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2013

The Check-in was smooth as I am a SPG Platinum member. This property was the Helmsley on 42nd street which was a dump. Starwoods came in and did a 180.

The rooms are very spacious and have been renovated so everything is up to date.

Nearby there is a Pret, Duane Reade (Pharmacy), Starbucks and number of convenience stores. You may be tempted to do room service or use their snack bar but there are plenty of options right outside the hotel that are cheaper and affordable.

I highly recommend the hotel business travelers and those visiting NYC for pleasure.

Room Tip: Ask for a higher floor and a view facing the Empire State Building.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Annapolis
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013

Westin has taken over the old Helmsley on 42nd and it's definitely an improvement. There is still some construction going on, but it's tolerable. The lobby bar has become a "hot spot". Food, drins and service were quite good. The rooms are the same as under the Helmsley. But, the first floow is getting a face-lift and the service is now Westin. Will be staying here more regularly.

Room Tip: Rooms facing 42nd on lower levels can be noisy.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Perth
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013

Just back from a 4 night stay. 42nd Street is an excellent base for a visit to NYC. The room was spacious, clean and well appointed with modern decor. The beds were superbly comfortable and I managed to sleep really well which isn't something I normally manage when away from home. The shower was excellent, water pressure was amazing, which was just fabulous after a long busy day on your feet. WiFi isn't readily available in NYC, free in most museums and starbucks of course, the hotel would be more popular if it offered free wifi for its guests.

Room Tip: Rooms to the back are quieter.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for your very kind words about your recent visit with us and for mentioning how heavenly our beds are to sleep in and the spaciousness of our guest rooms.

Regarding our Wi-Fi fee, we currently offer a great competitive rate but we are always looking to improve our service to our guests.

Please contact me directly when you plan to visit us again and I will be more than happy to assist you and your requests.

NYC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013

Earlier this week, spent two nights at the Westin. The room was comfortable, quiet, and well appointed. The conference rooms were very satisfying for our day-long meetings. Breakfast was served to us outside the conference room; the food service and overall support were very good. Internet access within the room and conference room on the 3rd floor was fast and without problem. SPG gold/platinum members get internet without charge.

The heating system in the room was a little odd as it would sometimes turn itself off for no apparent reason, but when it worked, it was reasonably quiet. The bathrooom was exceptional for a chain hotel, with a very nice overhead shower.

Elevators always came quickly and operated rapidly given the long vertical distances involved.

Our room faced south and had a great view of the Empire State Building to the southwest.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business

Been to The Westin New York Grand Central? Share your experiences!